whats causing deaf clubs to dwindle away?

maybe i think that their is not enough deaf and hard of hearing that go to the club because most of stay home.

True. But there ARE social clubs available, and if you go, you increase the activity. (Note to self: GO to one next week!)

But many of us are spread out, especially us deafies in Arkansas which is a very rural state. Not a lot people have the time or the means to drive across the state for a deaf social, but the closer you are to LR, Fort Smith, or Fayetteville, the higher your chances are of finding a small deaf social group within driving distance.

I have the means to drive to a deaf social (truck in good working order, and the finances to pay for a trip or two occassionally), but what I don't have is the time.

We dont need to go to deaf clubs because Ad is our deaf club:lol:

Here's one reason why deaf clubs are probably dwindling away...

Before, the only place deaf people could get together at was at deaf clubs.

Now, we have a lot of deaf social events... Deaf Chat Coffee, Deaf (Professional) Happy Hour, Deaf Awareness Day (amusement parks, zoos, aquariums, etc), and many other places.

Yes, I think even six flags hosts an annual deaf day, where those who are deaf and hard of hearing get in for half price.

We dont need to go to deaf clubs because Ad is our deaf club:lol:

I have been thinking about what you were saying that we don't need to go to Deaf Clubs or Deaf Socials but like to go on AD as a Deaf Club. It is okay when we need to come here on AD for discussion. But would it be better if you have gone or you have a chance to meet Deaf people to socialize like being connected to them? It is also Deaf Culture when we meet Deaf people to chat and have fun. It is a lot of fun better than on the internet. If you can not find any Deaf Socials or other Clubs for the Deaf, you just have to look around and ask information from Deaf school or look under organizations where they might have Deaf people who signs. I just hope it is not dwindle in your area. :P

I have been thinking about what you were saying that we don't need to go to Deaf Clubs or Deaf Socials but like to go on AD as a Deaf Club. It is okay when we need to come here on AD for discussion. But would it be better if you have gone or you have a chance to meet Deaf people to socialize like being connected to them? It is also Deaf Culture when we meet Deaf people to chat and have fun. It is a lot of fun better than on the internet. If you can not find any Deaf Socials or other Clubs for the Deaf, you just have to look around and ask information from Deaf school or look under organizations where they might have Deaf people who signs. I just hope it is not dwindle in your area. :P

It was meant to be a joke................

In my state Indiana and many deaf not went to deaf club because of backstab, rumor, and drama. Mostly deaf people went to deaf club is for poker, bingo, etc but I heard one of my friend that someone called cop about poker at deaf club and ended up police busted all deaf so no more poker at deaf club. now I use this alldeaf! :D

It was meant to be a joke................

Well, excuse me if I did not take the hint. I thought that you don't have to be coop up in the house and spent time doing computer on AD. All I am saying it is good to get out of the house to do something fun for a change, whether Deaf or Hearing. So I am sorry. :P

Even though robin did agree with me based on her experiences? Btw, her experiences are mine too, as I have experienced the same.

That's not the reason why they are dwindling....technology advancements are the biggest reason. This issue may be true for some deaf clubs but not for the majority of them.

Read my post again.

I am inclined to agree. Technology such as text-messaging, online instant messaging, video phones, webcams and so on are responsible for people not to get together as often. Even a few of my deaf friends still prefer to keep a distance with Facebook and cellphones.

Deaf socials are still very strong in places where Deaf people are still unable to afford to buy a computer or a cellphone though. Yes, such regional disparities exist.

That's not the reason why they are dwindling....technology advancements are the biggest reason. This issue may be true for some deaf clubs but not for the majority of them.

Read my post again.

That's just your opinion then because my experiences and robin's too seem to disagree with you.

Last edited:
That's just your opinion then because my experiences and robin's too seem to disagree with you.

Have you been to all deaf clubs all over the country? That was based on study presented in my deaf culture class at Gallaudet. Also, I have discussed this with many of my deaf friends and they all say it is due to technology. Like I said, your issue may be true for [COLOR="DarkRed[COLOR="Red"]"]some[/COLOR][/COLOR] deaf clubs. U seemed to miss that part.

I understand that it was your experience and I am not discounting it. I am just sharing what I learned in several of my classes and thru several deaf people with their own personal experiences.

If you dont agree with me, that's fine.

Nope, and neither have you.

What if I was? Be careful before making assumptions without asking . Maybe I have been all over the country and know deaf people from all over the USA. Wait a min...I do! At least I asked u and thank u for your answer. I guess my answer has already been answered by you. :roll:

Back