Whatever you feel like......... Anything goes! Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a family time where everyone sits together and reads. Like a party with snacks.

Been There. Done that when he was younger. I even would put the voices of the characters to make it more intersting. I guess he expects that every time he gets a novel.It time for him do do it on his own. Or am I wrong thinking this way? Frustrates me and Im a Teacher! give me a brake!

Been There. Done that when he was younger. I even would put the voices of the characters to make it more intersting. I guess he expects that every time he gets a novel.It time for him do do it on his own. Or am I wrong thinking this way? Frustrates me and Im a Teacher! give me a brake!

Tell him no TV or video games for a week and that might do the trick

Tell him no TV or video games for a week and that might do the trick
Thx I tried it. But maybe now it will work better since he's on vaccation it will hurt him more. He plays HALO. so Ill cut that. To see if something happens. Thx

Thank You Deafbajagal, Bottesini and DVD., For the Advice! Have all a goodnight Im getting brain fried need to sleep. Thx again

He's 13 years old, so his metacognition skills are still developing. For middle school age readers, they still need to have some reading strageties to help with some reading materials - especially if it is a novel. I'm not familiar with the novel - especially since it is in Spanish, so I'm not really able to give much help with specific strageties and topics with the book. Is he fluent in Spanish? If not, then his reading fluency will be affected (which would be different than reading English Sci Fi).

That is what I am planning to do in the daytime and I always lock my door everytime I come in and out the door

Hearing people often tell each other, "Watch your back" (meaning be careful). It's ironic for us to tell you to "watch you back" when that's where you got shot. :x

He's 13 years old, so his metacognition skills are still developing. For middle school age readers, they still need to have some reading strageties to help with some reading materials - especially if it is a novel. I'm not familiar with the novel - especially since it is in Spanish, so I'm not really able to give much help with specific strageties and topics with the book. Is he fluent in Spanish? If not, then his reading fluency will be affected (which would be different than reading English Sci Fi).

Thats correct. He's fluent in Spanish and English,But his first language is Spanish. Im working on finding out why is he so not intrested in reading. And Ill just have to work harder. My oldest loves to read he also is fluent in both. Hope he changes with in time . Thank You so much!

Let him be responsible for himself. He knows good and well that he needs to have the novel read by the first day of school and he's had all summer to do it. If he fails the comprehension tests and has to be embarrassingly remediated, then so be it. Let this become a learning experience that he won't forget.

You've taken away the TV and computer, why is he still playing HALO? If you want to have the bottom line, confine him to the house without privileges until the novel is finished. This includes no friends, no TV, no computer, no video games, no phone, nothing until the novel is completed. The incentive is that the sooner he finishes the novel, the sooner he gets his privileges back. But if he still refuses to read the novel, then refer back to my first paragraph and let him learn his own lesson. Depending on the length, he can have it finished in 3-4 days depending on how long he sits and reads. Ive been known to read a complete novel in 8 hours, so I know it can be done in 3-4 days, a week at the most.

If the book isnt required reading by the school, then I would tell him, OK you don't have to read this specific book, but you do need to read something outside the Sci-fi genre and on a 7th-8th grade reading level - those are the standards, and he gets to choose a novel of his own picking but YOU have to approve of it using the measuring tool I've just given you.

hello... I'm back. for now.

dunno what to say. a lot to say. not enough sleep in last five days doesn't help either.

so, good night for now.

I'm so sorry!!!!! Glad you're okay, though.

Yes thanks goodness. My son told me there was a tornado warning so I keep all my animals in the house for the day. It was scary and I waited to see it it come thru. But I am ok.

Damn..I am sick with a bug. Not going to work today. I am feeling soo lousy and just want to sleep alll day. Ugh!

I am sure I will catch ya later.

I HAVE to go to work tmw and Friday since they are my last 2 days of ESY so I hope I feel better than this by tmw. If not, it will be hell going to work. :(

i woke up, fed my cat and going check emails and other.. then i will start work on ILY magnets..

Not sure what I will do today since today is very special day. It's my first time to spend today with my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back