What you react as parent if you learn that your kids smoking?

I'd make sure he/she smoke up the whole cigarette box in front of me and get sick! Serves him/her right!! I'd serve up a plate of ciggies for breakfast, lunch and dinner for my child the next day to teach him/her a lesson.

You should be aware that actually this much of cigarettes might be very dangerous to your child.

""Short-Term Effects
The body’s response to nicotine is immediate — causing short-term increases in blood pressure, heart rate, and blood flow from the heart. Nicotine also causes arteries to narrow, while carbon monoxide reduces the amount of oxygen the blood can carry — two side effects which create an imbalance in the demand for oxygen by the cells and the amount of oxygen the blood is able to supply.""

so you see cigarettes can cause dangerously high blood pressure, high heart rate, possibly even stroke.
I am not sure but there also could be a danger of Carbon Monoxide poisonigng, one of the most deadly gas for humans.
I don't think it's a good idea at all.

I believe talking and educating on the subject is the best approach. I would even take my child to a dr and lung cancer ward to show what cigarretes can do to your body.

Fuzzy

When I was a kid, my oldest brother has taught me how to smoking inhale and exhale at our old playhouse, I didn't inhale but exhale. In a meanwhile (same follow week), my deceased grandmother tried to "encourage" me to smoking for same thing. When I get older, I haven't smoke at all. My deceased grandparent and my brother were/are smokers. How sad!

Cookie Monster said:
If I had a child and he/she was a teen, I caught him/her smoking, I'd make sure he/she smoke up the whole cigarette box in front of me and get sick! Serves him/her right!! I'd serve up a plate of ciggies for breakfast, lunch and dinner for my child the next day to teach him/her a lesson.

Isn't that a little dangerous to be serving cigarettes all day?? I understand about just one box at one time, but all day? Also, the nicotine in the cigs is very strong and addicting.

AudioFuzzy and Nancy, the effects of chainsmoking at a tender age to teach the child a harsh lesson is much better than having the child growing up to be an adult suffering from emphysema. What would you rather have? A chimney smoking child or lose a child to emphysema?

Magatsu said:
Nas' father decided to do something about it. He took Nas with him to the hospital where he worked at (he's a doctor). He showed her the way around and introduced her to one of lung cancer patients. That patient had an extremely bad lung cancer case due to years of smoking. Nas saw what it (smoking the cigarettes) did to that patient. His face, his arms, his neck, his feet, etc... Lots of tubes over the front of his body & face. It imprinted a horrible reality in her memory of what it'd happen to her if she didn't stop smoking.

The very next day, she quit. Nas's parents never saw any need to place any punishment on her. Just showed the reality of what would happen to her and their work was done without any kind of struggle.

If we have a child and if he/she'd smoke, we will do that to our child by showing her/him around in the hospital like what Nas's father did to my fiancée. There is nothing more harsh than reality and its consequences. None whatsoever.

Exactly, I beleive to show my children something like what Nas´s Dad did but people don´t have relatives who are doctor.

Like what I mentioned in my earlier post.

We went to World body muesum (bodies donation) in summer 2003. My children were shock when they saw kind of original lungs (they took organs from corpses to boil them for muesum). One of lungs are DARK grey/black. They told my children that it´s from smoking, drugs, etc.

Check this link. It´s worth and very interesting... bodyworld muesum are everywhere in the world. Original cancer lungs, color lungs, etc. etc. etc. It´s meanfuling to take the children to see bodyworld muesum.

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/ausstellung_asien.asp

http://www.bodyworldshop.com/

I saw TV on "Believe it or not" was display of Gunther Von Hagens's BodyWorlds. It was a short version of what they look like at the exhibit museum.

I was in High School, they had a display of real lungs, one was healthy (non-smoker) and one was smoker in the glass boxes. The smoker's lung was very black and alot of mucus just like when you see coals chuck and smoked. When it gets to the lungs, harder to get through every time breath out and in. That's why, people coughs alot came from mucus connects to the lungs.

>>A chimney smoking child or lose a child to emphysema?<<

What if your child will expire from stroke or heart attack before finishing his lesson?

I'd rather have child ALIVE than a dead one from one day chain-smoking lesson.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
>>A chimney smoking child or lose a child to emphysema?<<

What if your child will expire from stroke or heart attack before finishing his lesson?

I'd rather have child ALIVE than a dead one from one day chain-smoking lesson.

Fuzzy

It is to each their own Fuzzy. I do not have children and when I do have children, I will cross that bridge when the children smokes. (Heaven forbids if they do!) You can preach on about how to parent a child but make sure it is yours, not others. ;)

Cookie Monster, let me assure you that when you WILL have your own children your attitude how to raise kids will change 100 times over :)

Of course, I realise I am in no position of telling anybody what to do, but please try not to be stubborn on principle.

If you force your kid to smoke a whole package of cigs at once, you may risk severe damage to his/her health RIGHT AWAY.
What's the point of it- because what you want to achieve is exactly the opposite- your child to be healthy.
Would you teach your child not to play with fire by sticking it's hand into a burning stove? would you teach your child not to use drugs by forcing him to swallow a full bottle of painkillers at once?

And, anyway, as soon as your child will be old enough to do as he/she wish, despite your dangerous lesson it may still pick up smoking, in spite of you.

The best way to teach a child right/wrong is mutual respect, openess and talking about issues, and giving good example.

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
The best way to teach a child right/wrong is mutual respect, openess and talking about issues, and giving good example.

Fuzzy

Exactly! What's this forum for? Of course debate with agree to disagree... :)

:smash: You hit it right and hard! I thought I know it all about raising kids UNTIL I became dad for the first time 4 years ago, After day one of fatherhood, my thoughts and feelings about raising kids has turned 180 degrees BIG time!!! I now understand why people kept telling me that I really don't know anything. Now, that my advice to those who never had kids, just be quiet and start to listen to those who ALREADY experienced having their own kids.

it is NOT easy as you (Those who never had kids of their own) might think. But in reality, it DOES have rewards in there! That is why I don't mind having another child very soon.

Audiofuzzy said:
Cookie Monster, let me assure you that when you WILL have your own children your attitude how to raise kids will change 100 times over :)

diehardbiker65 said:
:smash: You hit it right and hard! I thought I know it all about raising kids UNTIL I became dad for the first time 4 years ago, After day one of fatherhood, my thoughts and feelings about raising kids has turned 180 degrees BIG time!!! I now understand why people kept telling me that I really don't know anything. Now, that my advice to those who never had kids, just be quiet and start to listen to those who ALREADY experienced having their own kids.

it is NOT easy as you (Those who never had kids of their own) might think. But in reality, it DOES have rewards in there! That is why I don't mind having another child very soon.

Yes, that's true but I don't see anything wrong that the parent-to-be share their opinions/feedback with us here.

Non-parents and parents are welcome to answer on my thread anytime whatever they like.

Im speaking for those who never had their own kids. I have no problem sharing my experiences. My point is for those who never had their own kids to refrain from criticizing to parents who ALREADY have their own kids, and to start listen to their experience and possible learn from them. That way, they can be better parents.

My experiences already told me totally different story about how to raise kids before AND after I got my own kids. WOWOWOW UNREAL! The only BIG problem having kids is that they don't come with the instruction manual! This makes it harder than it seems to be. urgh!

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes, that's true but I don't see anything wrong that the parent-to-be share their opinions/feedback with us here.

Non-parents and parents are welcome to answer on my thread anytime whatever they like.

Runs in my family... EMPYHSEMA... my mother just passed away from that. my grandparents passed away from that in the 90's. I smoke, too.. I have quit so many times and went back. Its so addictive!

My daughter is 8.. she has asked me questions about smoking and why I smoke when my family have strong emphysema hereditary. I told her I started right after high school and been smoking since.. She said she wants me to quit.

So, if that's the case, if she ever tries to smoke, I would have a talk with her and tell her how I feel and for her own health reasons. I would be upset but it depends on how old she starts.

RebelGirl said:
Runs in my family... EMPYHSEMA... my mother just passed away from that. my grandparents passed away from that in the 90's. I smoke, too.. I have quit so many times and went back. Its so addictive!

My daughter is 8.. she has asked me questions about smoking and why I smoke when my family have strong emphysema hereditary. I told her I started right after high school and been smoking since.. She said she wants me to quit.

So, if that's the case, if she ever tries to smoke, I would have a talk with her and tell her how I feel and for her own health reasons. I would be upset but it depends on how old she starts.

:hug: RebelGirl, I relate with you on this.

Some of you may or may not realise this, I have learned from past experience from online friends and foes to shut up and sit on my hands. This meaning.. not revealing more to the post.

I lost several family members to emphysema. What really hit me hard was losing my Grandpa (Mom's Dad) to emphysema. Seeing him battle with emphysema was hard, he was a chain smoker. When we visited Grandpa, our alarm clock was getting up at 5 am, smelling the ciggie smoke. Our aunts and uncles followed the habit of smoking & they too, smoked at 5 am instead of having their first coffee.

Seeing Grandpa slowly succumb to emphysema, his mental and physical state dwindling away bit by bit. He was always dragging with him a portable oxygen tank machine in fear he stopped breathing. He'd make sure the grandchildren (my niece and nephews) didn't step on "his breathing tubes" as he called them "his lifeline".

My niece and nephews refused to approach their great-grandfather. They feared approaching Grandpa, even bluntly signed.. "You stink, you scare me!" oooo Out of the mouth of wee babes, eh?

I wish I had said that so I'd still have my Grandpa with me because it was him that I enjoyed the personal heart to heart debates. His last dying wish was to make sure that none of us smoked and he made that impression with us when he projectile vomited across the dinner table when he coughed so hard. Gross, eh? This is what happens when you deal with a family member that has emphysema.. the person has so much backed-up mucus, they just cannot breathe and try to cough up the mucus but it's just so teeny-weeny and it really affects their breathing.

Now, to debate about smoking.. it's best to inform them about the effects of chainsmoking. You have your ways and I have my ways.

Cookie Monster said:
:hug: RebelGirl, I relate with you on this.

Some of you may or may not realise this, I have learned from past experience from online friends and foes to shut up and sit on my hands. This meaning.. not revealing more to the post.

I lost several family members to emphysema. What really hit me hard was losing my Grandpa (Mom's Dad) to emphysema. Seeing him battle with emphysema was hard, he was a chain smoker. When we visited Grandpa, our alarm clock was getting up at 5 am, smelling the ciggie smoke. Our aunts and uncles followed the habit of smoking & they too, smoked at 5 am instead of having their first coffee.

Seeing Grandpa slowly succumb to emphysema, his mental and physical state dwindling away bit by bit. He was always dragging with him a portable oxygen tank machine in fear he stopped breathing. He'd make sure the grandchildren (my niece and nephews) didn't step on "his breathing tubes" as he called them "his lifeline".

My niece and nephews refused to approach their great-grandfather. They feared approaching Grandpa, even bluntly signed.. "You stink, you scare me!" oooo Out of the mouth of wee babes, eh?

I wish I had said that so I'd still have my Grandpa with me because it was him that I enjoyed the personal heart to heart debates. His last dying wish was to make sure that none of us smoked and he made that impression with us when he projectile vomited across the dinner table when he coughed so hard. Gross, eh? This is what happens when you deal with a family member that has emphysema.. the person has so much backed-up mucus, they just cannot breathe and try to cough up the mucus but it's just so teeny-weeny and it really affects their breathing.

Now, to debate about smoking.. it's best to inform them about the effects of chainsmoking. You have your ways and I have my ways.

UHH HUHH!!! I feel ya, girl! My grandfather was my admiration. I had looked up to him forever! When I found out he had emphysema, I never understood what it was. He quit smoking 12 years before but slowly deterieted (sp), I started to realize what was wrong with him and always had my hopes high that he can "beat" it. Well, he passed away peacefully, never complained, never whined. He was a brave man to deal with it. That was in 94. My grandmother broke her back from putting her seat belt on (no joke) in 97 on New Years Day. Her body just quit working properly and the Dr says its empysema.. she died a year later.. was a pretty quick death.. but not very pretty watching her die. all that foam coming out of her mouth like being in an electric chair.. she, of course, drowned her own fluids, She passed in 98. My mother was the worse worse worse of all. my mother blew up her bed from smoking WITH HER OXYGEN ON. She was disoriented and unaware what was around her. She had a really deep hole about half an inch in her back below her tailbone caused by malnutritions. She also had osteoprosis (hump on her back) then tons of broken ribs, spinal cord, and elbow. I wasn't there when my mom passed, I think I'm glad I wasn't there. she passed just this recent May the day before Memorial Day. She was only 51.. She was a very very beautiful woman. Not a day goes by without thinking about her and my grandparents. I always tell myself, I'm going to die just like them.. and I need to quit. Its so hard to quit.. what's more .. I have asthma.. Not good either.

Maybe this will help some smokers get an idea what its like to get a disease like that.

:hug: RebelGirl, backatcha!

This is why I say "Smoking is stupid!" I'm severely asthmatic and right now with my littlest nephew, I make sure when people want to light one up, they are far away from him. I just have to bite my tongue from saying the comments,

"Thank you for not polluting our air!" or "Thank you so much for contributing to the air pollution."

Cookie Monster said:
:hug: RebelGirl, backatcha!

This is why I say "Smoking is stupid!" I'm severely asthmatic and right now with my littlest nephew, I make sure when people want to light one up, they are far away from him. I just have to bite my tongue from saying the comments,

"Thank you for not polluting our air!" or "Thank you so much for contributing to the air pollution."

I wish I could feel the same way, really! I really would love to say.. no smoking in my house, in my car.. around the children.. which I CAN DO.. but I'm a smoker so I smoke anywhere I want except places that says no smoking or other peoples houses.. I don't smoke around people that are non-smokers.. I'm respectful for them.. but as for myself.. not really.. It would be a nice change to quit.. lalalalalalala that.. I hope I'll quit soon!

I think Rebel Girl the best example you can give your daughter is to quit smoking.
I know it's difficult, nicotine is one of the MOST addictive substances known to a man, but you CAN DO IT.
YOU CAN.

And by quitting you'll teach your daughter a lesson- that your and her health is far more important and that smoking needs to be stopped, and best -never started.
If you continue to smoke, there is always a chance your family may get sick from second hand smoking.
Sorry for sounding so preachy.

Cookie Monster- I am sorry about your Grandfather.
Just so you know, my father died of lung cancer - he smoked, of course.

Fuzzy

Back