What you react as parent if you learn that your kids smoking?

Audiofuzzy said:
I think Rebel Girl the best example you can give your daughter is to quit smoking.
I know it's difficult, nicotine is one of the MOST addictive substances known to a man, but you CAN DO IT.
YOU CAN.

And by quitting you'll teach your daughter a lesson- that your and her health is far more important and that smoking needs to be stopped, and best -never started.
If you continue to smoke, there is always a chance your family may get sick from second hand smoking.
Sorry for sounding so preachy.

Cookie Monster- I am sorry about your Grandfather.
Just so you know, my father died of lung cancer - he smoked, of course.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy, you are entitled to your feelings and opinions especially in debating. This is what I like best in AD, all is open on the table. I'm really sorry your father died of lung cancer as I'm a Daddy's girl myself.

To get to the "heart" of this issue, I think a lot of people really do care about how to approach the "no-smoking" but there's so many approaches, eh? One is afraid to be viewed as a "Mommy Dearest" type from the movies, another is so afraid to be viewed as too lackasadical.

Thanks, Cookie Monster.
I agree about difference of opinions. I just worry that sometimes we all may have ideas we did not entirely thought out well, though.

Sometimes we don't realise there is a downside to our idea, that's all. That's why it's good to have debates :)

Fuzzy

I´m very sorry about the loss of your beloved ones, Rebelgirl, Monster Cookie and Audiofuzzy. I know it´s terrible to watch them go... :(

Monster Cookie
This is what I like best in AD, all is open on the table.

Exactly, that´s why I visit AD frequently.

My mother have emphysema and she is only 48 yr old. Its very hard for me to talk about it and I always think about it everyday and don't want to lose her and dr told her that she have about 10 yrs to live. I sometimes wish that she could live more than 10 yrs to be around grandchildren, etc. I hope she could be able to live more than 10 yrs. I'm just too afraid to lose her. I'm very close with my mother than I do with my father. Her mother (my grandma) had emphysema as well and passed away in years ago.

I started smoking at age of 18. If I have known about emphysema history. I would have not started at the first place and I found out about emphysema right after I started smoking. I'm trying my BEST to quit and I want to live for long time as possible to see my children all grown up, see them get married, have children, etc. I don't want to miss anything, ya know?

Ok, when I was 12-13 yr old, my friend and I took some cigs from my dad and smoked in woods. My dad caught us smoking and told my friend to go home and I went home and he showed me new pack. He had this mean & mad face, said I want you smoke all of it NOW! and I told him no I don't want to and kept saying no then he sent me to room as punishment. So since then I haven't touched cigarette til I was 18. Sure, that did helped to stop me from smoking when he tried to make me to smoke whole pack in same day. But, that didn't stop me to start smoking. I guess it depends on individuals. What made me start smoking -- well there was lot of going on, very personal and I was very depressed and stressed, I was senior in High School -- its long story and I rather not to say anything about it. So anyway, I regretted for start smoking and wish that I never did.

Edit:

What will I do if I catch my kids smoking? Well, I don't know how I will react to it but of course I'll be upset about that. But I will talk with my kids before they start like curious to smoke. I'll tell them about my grandma and their grandma (my mother) that they have emphysema and I'll show them pictures of lung cancers and I might take them to hospitals to see lung cancer patients. I'll explain to them about why I smoked and I will tell them I was STUPID for start smoking and its VERY hard to quit and don't be like me, you don't want to die like your great-grandma or grandma with emphysema and that you don't want to smell STINKY, all that. Hopefully I quit smoking soon so that I can show them good role model of me to stop smoking, to live longer to be around them, to see them all grown up, see grandchildren, and tell them about grandma, etc and hopefully my kids won't smoke. I try to be a BEST parent as I can. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Liebling,

What's the deal with you? There's something fishy about you bringing up previous threads about smoking? Aren't you trying to play with fire now? :dizzy:

Let me know when this week is over so I can come back after non-smokers done bashing onto smokers. :/

Cheri said:
Liebling,

What's the deal with you? There's something fishy about you bringing up previous threads about smoking? Aren't you trying to play with fire now? :dizzy:

Let me know when this week is over so I can come back after non-smokers done bashing onto smokers. :/

:confused: Those threads I create is old which different from other threads. Its about parents and children, not against you as personality because you have mother feeling and what would you react if you find out your children smoking...

I only show anyone that we have old threads here... then Admin. and Moderator can fix new threads to old threads together.

I can´t understand why you are upset over that because you are smoker. You know that you are not only one who are smoker but others... I have friends who are also smokers as well. I has nothing against smokers because it´s their decision either they want to stay smoking or not. All what I do is show my respect on their choice because they are an adult and know what they doing. Cheri, you has no reason to be upset over that. My siblings and family are smokers, of course I know they tried hard to quit their smoking habits until my Dad and brother are the one who quit smoking at last... My hubby is the one in his family who quit smoking.

Being a Mom of 3 girls. I know that I have to start early.
Telling them, showing them, learning that there are
consquences for every action that they themselves choose to do.
Smoking is something that I dislike and will not tolerate in my own life.

But..when they are of age 17,18,19 they are on the brink of being an adult.
They make their own decisions. There is always room to make mistakes. I just want them to know the one that they may make by smoking is a life sentence to death.

A situation came up with my middlest and oldest. They were prancing around acting all cool. Saying oh Mom look I am smoking! (pretending to blow smoke out in the air). I told them both, you know it's not so cool when you are in the hospital taking so many meds, going through painful radiation and may die because of it. They realized, suddenly it's not so fun after all. Quickly changed their role play,

I don't care how old, you begin as little ones. Telling them what is good and what is bad. Just like food, you wouldn't feed your child cholocates every single moment of the day, would you? Same goes for any other bad habit. Also kids learn by example. What they see, they will do (eventually).

Smoking is NOT healthy and very dangerous to your health.
Still, I could think of other things that could be more serious
that I could be very angry about. Smoking is rated (1-10) an 6-7
on my list.

Again my girls are not influenced by seeing smoking constantly, I hope
when they are older they will come to and realize that you don't need to do anything to make yourself cool and if you do it's not worth risking your life/health for. All 3 of them are very hard headed, and very secure in their own individuality.

We will see...only the future will tell.

Liebling:-))) said:
:confused: Those threads I create is old which different from other threads..

Doesn't matter, You pulled up all the "smoking" threads, What's the catch?

Cheri said:
Doesn't matter, You pulled up all the "smoking" threads, What's the catch?

Its about parents and children here what and how the parents feeling about children smoking.

I can´t see the sense why you complaint for.

You don´t have to post here if you don´t like.

Everyone discuss with agree to disagree respectfully... It´s up to everyone if they want to make their post to any threads what they can agree to disagree... What´s forum for.

All what I want say is show RESPECT on any threads what creators created. Its about venting, ranting, share information, etc.

Simple ignore threads if you don´t like.

Back