What would you go to college? Why?

Vain, it's true.....Gally is pretty highly ranked by US News and World Report!
Granted it's not Harvard....but it is a pretty good school. Sure there are idoits enrolled there, but on the other hand, there are idoits enrolled almost EVERYWHERE!

Maybe so, but there are MORE idiots enrolled in Gallaudet than any other school!! Spare me the bullshit, dyke! Gallaudet will never be ranked as the top 100 schools in North America, let alone the States!! You really should start being honest with yourself... honesty is the best policy!! Have you not learned that in grade school.... or Gallaudet? Hmm... Ha, what a laugh... Gallaudet - one of the top ranked schools.. HAH! Good one! :)

My someone needs to be banned! Gally may not be Harvard, but at least it's much better then lots of state schools! There are idoits EVERYWHERE Vain. Even at Ivy League colleges there are idoits. Sure, a lot of people at Gally don't have the world's best education, but many of them can't help being poorly educated b/c of the low expectations that virtually ALL teachers (and I include mainstream teachers in that statement) have! Do you feel supeior b/c you think that you have a better grasp of English then they do? That is NOT something to feel supieor about! Most Deafies approach ASL as a SECOND language...they approach English just like a speaker of Italian or French would!
Give me an example of why Gally is so bad! Don't just rant and rave that the school's filled with idoits! Don't just say that it doesn't require SAT scores...Mt Holoyoke College (a VERY competive college BTW) doesn't require SAT scores. Don't just give me "Oh I met so and so and they didn't know anything!"

Vain said:
Gallaudet will never be ranked as the top 100 schools in North America, let alone the States!!
Well I am not Gallaudet fan myself, I have my own reasons however yes, Gallaudet is in top 100 schools in America.

If still doubt, check at US News and World Report - Gallaudet and scroll down a bit, you will see that Gallaudet is in top 100 schools (22nd ranking) but for Master's and Northern area of America. I seem could not find any more information about Bachelor's since usnews.com have two different access (free and premium) and I don't have the premium access so I could not find any more information from there. Like it or not, Gallaudet is in Top 100 schools.

I have a funny but true story about Gallaudet name though but this topic is seemingly heat debate right now so I rather to hold it off until good time or things settle down around this topic.

Edit: I have to reply this:

Vain said:
NTID and RIT? Why spend so much money on such shitty schools when you can pay less for better schools?
Um, I am not going to group up with others or join in this battle against you but I think you better back up your facts about that.. RIT have been in top rank for a while and it is hardly so-called "shitty" as you claimed it is. But again, it is your opinion, not the facts so it does not bother me at all since everyone is entitle to share their opinions regardless if it is strange or not. Cheers.

Last edited:
Top rank? Come on.. Gallaudet! I have yet seen any successful people who graduated from Gallaudet! Most of them end up becoming teachers - UNDERPAID teachers, and have crappy jobs. For my career goal profession, they would laugh in my face if I had a diploma from Gallaudet! It's not a real school, it's just a big expensive playground! It's funny how you all bust your asses defending that so called University when the rest of us up here in Canada knows the truth. Even Gallaudet graduates up here are telling us that we shouldn't go down there unless we have lower expectations... :)

Good night darlings!

Vain said:
Top rank? Come on.. Gallaudet! I have yet seen any successful people who graduated from Gallaudet! Most of them end up becoming teachers - UNDERPAID teachers, and have crappy jobs. For my career goal profession, they would laugh in my face if I had a diploma from Gallaudet! It's not a real school, it's just a big expensive playground! It's funny how you all bust your asses defending that so called University when the rest of us up here in Canada knows the truth. Even Gallaudet graduates up here are telling us that we shouldn't go down there unless we have lower expectations... :)

Good night darlings!

The mere fact that they attended and completed school regardless of name is indicative of someone who seeks to achieve more in life. Opportunity, Financial and otherwise is not readily available to many people. As a manager with 67 people under me I don't rely on education as being a pre-requisite for position. I do look for a degree, but more importantly I look for experience. The degree regardless of where they received it from demonstrates to me a persons ability to create opportunity for themselves and shows a level of commitment that is demonstrated in the completion of a program.

Bottom line is the degree is only as good as the person who holds it. Not the university that gives it.

Vain said:

Good night darlings!

I understand Yes thats true. Some of them who got crappy jobs but i know several people graduated from gally and made over 100,000 a year. I think it's up to people who made their choices. GALLY welcomes EVERYONE included idiots makes it look WOW but not really. THATS WHY..

FutureGame2100 said:
I'll go to the NTID/RIT because I want to learn how to design PC games. :D

I do not think RIT offers this program. It is likely more focus on business programming for big companies such as COBAL, C++, Information System, etc. You could check that out RIT's website. If you have very good grammar, it is a good chance for you to enter RIT. For anyone who is interested to attend RIT and they think that their grammar is alright. Not true, they will never able to attend RIT unless they received an AAS degree at NTID. It is very common for them to finish in four or five years. After that, they will able to get what they want to learn at RIT. That's life. (In other college, hearing people received AAS in two years.)

-- Maybe, you could try to apply directly to RIT to see if you get a chance. RIT has very good tutors for hearing impaired students - not at NTID. This is very different between NTID and RIT. I personally like the tutors at RIT because it made my grammar improved a lot - you have to be serious and work hard to prepare to be in a hearing world.

I think that the best way for you to attend a community college with an interpreter. Or, you need a lot of research and pick a college that you want to learn about designing in computer games. Think about working for a big companies - make a list of pros and cons. It is too bad that Bush is really screwed up big times and caused companies more layoffs. Bush has been saying that our country has been improved a lot and hire more employees. That is only temporary job which last 4 to 6 months.

I would so love to go to a predominantly deaf college, but unfortunately I'm poor. I heard a lot of bad things about Gally; it's in the 'ghetto' neighborhood and they mistreat individuals who grew up oral.

I'm going to community college straight after graduation (2005; if I don't get accepted to 4 year college) and then transfer to a four year public university. I want to become a Veterinary Technican and also have a major in English. English and animals are the two things I'm interested in as for college plans. Well, I did promise a deaf friend of mine if he got accepted to Madonna University, I'll apply there. He got in and will attend this fall. Dunno.

dmarenz said:
I would so love to go to a predominantly deaf college, but unfortunately I'm poor. I heard a lot of bad things about Gally; it's in the 'ghetto' neighborhood and they mistreat individuals who grew up oral.

I'm going to community college straight after graduation (2005; if I don't get accepted to 4 year college) and then transfer to a four year public university. I want to become a Veterinary Technican and also have a major in English. English and animals are the two things I'm interested in as for college plans. Well, I did promise a deaf friend of mine if he got accepted to Madonna University, I'll apply there. He got in and will attend this fall. Dunno.
You're right about the oral mistreatment. A lot of my friends who grew up oral were mistreated by others at Gallaudet. Some of them have regretted going to Gallaudet and wished that they went to RIT instead.

A lot of my friends who grew up oral were mistreated by others at Gallaudet.
I wish some deafies weren't so pro-seperatist that they bashed every and anyone who even has oral skills. That sort of attitude isn't going to help the Deaf community survive at ALL!!!! It's not MY fault I grew up without Sign. If I'd had a choice, I would have grown up with BOTH speech and Sign. (and it's wicked hard to believe that I narrowly missed becoming fluent in ASL not ONCE but TWICE!) I can somewhat understand some Deaf extremists' attitudes towards oralists....some oralists are SO beyond stuck up that they don't need Sign, that it's given the rest of us a bad name. But not all of us who can hear and talk decently are like that. Many of us (if not most of us) wish we'd had the oppertuntity to be fluent in both.

deafdyke said:
I wish some deafies weren't so pro-seperatist that they bashed every and anyone who even has oral skills. That sort of attitude isn't going to help the Deaf community survive at ALL!!!! It's not MY fault I grew up without Sign. If I'd had a choice, I would have grown up with BOTH speech and Sign. (and it's wicked hard to believe that I narrowly missed becoming fluent in ASL not ONCE but TWICE!) I can somewhat understand some Deaf extremists' attitudes towards oralists....some oralists are SO beyond stuck up that they don't need Sign, that it's given the rest of us a bad name. But not all of us who can hear and talk decently are like that. Many of us (if not most of us) wish we'd had the oppertuntity to be fluent in both.
That's "Deaf Culture/Pride". They take it seriously. It's the same with blacks, hispanics, GLBT, etc. At RIT, there are some guys who are gay and take too much pride in their gayness that they just start making out "like there's no tomorrow" while in the lobby of the bursar's office. Everyone was disgusted. Another time, there were a group of black students who took their pride so seriously that they started acting like "niggas" and hollering at each other like they were in a gang. If a non-black person was watching the action, one of them would be like, "What you looking at boy!?" It gets really annoying when these people act like that. I just wish people would act normal cuz we're all human!

That's "Deaf Culture/Pride". They take it seriously. It's the same with blacks, hispanics, GLBT, etc. " It gets really annoying when these people act like that. I just wish people would act normal cuz we're all human!
I wouldn't call it Deaf Culture/Pride. I'd call it Deaf Extremity, or Deafer-then-thou-ism. There's nothing wrong with the whole Deaf Culture/Pride thing. I know of many people who identify STRONGLY as Deaf, but who don't take it to extremes. You're right...blacks, hispanics, GLBers and others do have simlair social phenonomeons. I mean I have friends who are black, but who get shit on by other blacks b/c (according to the other blacks) they act too white! I have friends who are bi and who get shit on by gays and lesbians who accuse them of not really being gay. But yeah....I know exactly what you mean. Some people cannot think beyond binaries.....maybe if the concept of binaries wasn't so heavily pushed, people would be a heck of a lot happier!

dmarenz said:

I agree..... deafies who are not rasised around hearies tend to critize, and doesn't think open.. they are "deaf power or pride", doesn't welcome to be friend with hearies, or anything else.. they look hearies like they are stupid.. actually they are not stupid.. I grew up around hearies, and I know what it is like.. Deafies who grow up around hearies tend to under more things that hearies uses such as idioms, joke, etc. l let me tell you what happened last night. I got front seat in my friend's car, and said shotgun! and my deafie friends was like what???? I explain to them, they don't understand. For those don't know what shotgun mean.. not gun.. it is when you get to front seat in car before others, you sat shotgun... that i can explain better...

FutureGame2100 said:
I'll go to the NTID/RIT because I want to learn how to design PC games. :D

I am currently out of school, but I attended a community college in my hometown after graduation from HS. Sadly, my education was derailed and I never went back to finish that degree. This has always been something that I have regretted, so I plan to one day resume my education and get a degree. At the time, I was doing a two year program in medical records, but as I got into the curriculum, I realized it was of no interest to me. When I go back, I plan to do a two year program in social work with the hope it will put me on my way to a career as a Child Life worker. It is my absolute dream to work with chronically ill children. :)

Last edited:
I just received my BA in 2002 from NCU in Minneapolis, and is on way to Master's Degree in Social Worker....

BigSpike said:
I just received my BA in 2002 from NCU in Minneapolis, and is on way to Master's Degree in Social Worker....
Social Work is a dying major at RIT. :(

I'm a student at RIT and I got accepted directly in RIT, not in NTID so that is different. I don't respect Gallaudet(I live 30 mins from there). However, Gallaudet do have great graduate program... just not so great undergraduate program. My experience at RIT is pretty great so far. There is nothing wrong with the school except for the weather but I'll just get used to it. I do not know much about CSUN since I don't attend or live near there.

Other college...

growing up hearing, I never even considered going to a Deaf school for college. In high school though I started to realize the need for interpreting or transcribing services and had to try to find out which school was best for me. It should always be a personal choice, but for those of you who don't know about McDaniel College (previously Western Maryland College) in Westminster, MD about and hour away from D.C., it has provided me with opportunities that I wouldn't have had at a state university. There are scholarships available because it's a private school.

I'm currently minoring in Deaf studies and secondary education. (and don't go criticizing teachers because they don't make all that much or just because you assume it's the last or only thing available to them–some of us actually want to go into the field.) I'm also majoring in English.

Today was interesting because my usual transcriber for the class was sick and I had an interpreter come for my English class. The first half hour she signed using correct ASL grammar, but I had to ask her to use sim-com because I still have partial hearing and was getting confused as to where my professor was and where the terp was. Don't hate me for relying on lip-reading, but that's what I usually do. But at the same time, I'm trying to make up for the lack of education in sign. Oh...and if you want to check out the news section, there was an article about how Deaf students having trouble with English exams that I posted earlier today.

Anyways, WMC has a great graduate program as well for Deaf Education. Hopefully I'll get into that program after I get my BA. Anyways, it can be a good alternative to Gally if you don't mind a hearing school. The ASL teachers are all deaf...rather than a hearing school that has hearing teachers.

Alright...I'm going to lunch now so i'll stop here.

Back