What would you go to college? Why?

FutureGame2100

Reaction score
I'll go to the NTID/RIT because I want to learn how to design PC games. :D

I am currently off-duty college student but hopefully i get a chance to go this spring.. to Ridgewater community college here in Minn... where i have been there as part time student for 2 and half year :)

1 and half year of education credits are done.. so 2 and half years of credits left.. hurry up! was studing in general education and accountant/computer science

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I am currently off-duty college student but hopefully i get a chance to go this spring.. to Ridgewater community college here in Minn... where i have been there as part time student for 2 and half year :)

1 and half year of education credits are done.. so 2 and half years of credits left.. hurry up! was studing in general education and accountant/computer science
That's good college.. What is "Off-Duty"? Please you could explain me to understand.

FutureGame2100 said:
That's good college.. What is "Off-Duty"? Please you could explain me to understand.

off-duty is same thing as taking a break from college

I would go to college to get a stable and good life-style to make myself indepdent, meaning: no SSI, no parents, nobody to support me. I don't like the idea of being a dependent my whole life (my whole life hasn't arrived yet so i shouldn't complain about it). I enjoy learning so I would go to college for my own sake because I cannot stand working in mundane jobs, and think about nothing. Right now, I am in a university, hoping to major in graphic design then go into an adversiting-relating field where I would design logo, ads, billboards for the big-names companies. :-D Or just designing hallmark cards, that would suit me fine. :)

I plan go back to college for second degree. Why? Because I want more optional with high paid on which kind job I could enjoy to work in certain environment.

right now, I have undecide which three university I want to enroll.

my college experinces

Yup I'm a off-duty college student....again! Went to RIT in 2001 right after my graduation from high school - felt I wasn't ready for college life and it was affecting me emotionally so I left RIT and returned to IL - went to local community college and finished my semester with 4.0 gpa then the following fall, I was off to Gallaudet - stayed there for a year until my health started to decline and it was affecting my education so I decided that my health comes first and the best thing to do was to take a medical withdrawal so I did. Here I am, in Rochester - planning to return back to RIT to major in Criminal Justice as well:) Can't wait!!

My days at Gallaudet were hectic and once in a lifetime experince but Gallaudet's not for me. Its enivorment (the surrounding, the city, etc) but I do have many good friends and created many good memories there at Gallaudet. I also left due to major reasons since RIT offer much better courses and motivation in criminal justice than Gallaudet would.

I do not regret leaving Gallaudet at all. I think it was one of the best choices I ever made. I do miss my friends but I know my health comes first.

It may sound like a long road but it s worth learning the real life and knowing what I really want. Nobody says I have to finish college NOW so I'm taking my time as well:) No rush!

Unlike some of you, I have high standards. I currently am attending Ryerson University in Toronto, and would like to attend to the University of Toronto after I earn my Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre Arts.

Gallaudet, NTID and RIT? Why spend so much money on such shitty schools when you can pay less for better schools?

Vain said:
Unlike some of you, I have high standards. I currently am attending Ryerson University in Toronto, and would like to attend to the University of Toronto after I earn my Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre Arts.

Gallaudet, NTID and RIT? Why spend so much money on such shitty schools when you can pay less for better schools?

Hm... that is my argument against people's recommendations to me to go to those three schools- It is much cheaper for me to stay local and go to the state unviersity. (3,000$ @ SDSU *DEF. not a shitty school* compared to 11,000$ @ Gally- Com'on, it is a no-brainer!)
San Diego is one of those cities where the bosses love local college graduates over the out-of-state grads... so it is a good idea for me to graduate from SDSU if I ever want to work and LIVE in San Diego :) It is like a silent brother/sisterhood...

Don't anybody here have one like that in their cities?
What about you, Vain? Does Canada have this unanimous bond where they would give a pat on their Canadian citizens for staying educated in Canada rather than straying over the border?

Unlike some of you, I have high standards.
My someone is stuck up!!! I would have gone to Gally in a flash but they don't have the major and minor that I wanted. (commuications concentration journalism with minor in women's studies) How do you know that Gally is bad? And don't just say "Oh this person from Gally graduated and knew nothing about whatever and was very uneducated" I bet you anything I could maybe even find a Harvard grad who knows nothing about their field and is very uneducated.

Vain said:

Do you realize you come off as a troll to us with that kind of 'tude? :slap: :mrgreen: It's really up to the individual to determine the value in his/her education, not anybody else. Got it? :) Good. Welcome to Alldeaf!

First off, I attended GU and finished it in 4 years - it has been a good experience for me, but I know it's not for everyone - financial wise or availability of majors/minors. It was in a good place for me, and more close to home - I preferred the fully interactive environment, rather than relying on interpreters. 'sides, I had money. Why not? I enrolled in challenging classes with good teachers... unfortunately, I've had a few bad ones and I've filed complaints. I stayed out of trouble and didn't get involved with the bad crowds. Life is about taking the good along with the bad, and it really matters how you approach these in my opinion.

I do really feel people who have to take remedial classes should take these classes at their community colleges before going to GU - it CAN be costly doing 'em at GU. Trust me. I was the english tutor and I have seen it all. 5 credits for remedial math, and 8 credits for 3 hours of daily to thrice a week remedial English... oh wow... say, at a bit more than 350 bucks PER credit... that's one downside of attending GU and having to take remedial classes.

If y'all can handle interpreters and/or oralism while attending colleges that don't offer a fully interactive environment like gally, ntid, some of csun etc, then more power to you!

Last edited:
Vain said:

Want to hear the facts about RIT?

all 3 community college i attend was
-North Hennipen community college
-Anoka-ramsey community college
-Ridgewater community college...

All 3 of those college have a bulliten board shows that RIT is one of the best college in nation.. and they suggust some community students to go.. and finincial aid aviliable

and its in minnesota and in all 3 of those college i attend, i have seen a bulliten board with a peice of paper from RIT that once u're done with AAS degree u can go to RIT and its those 3 college suggust since RIT is best college...

DeafSCUBA98 said:

All 3 of those college have a bulliten board shows that RIT is one of the best college in nation.. and they suggust some community students to go.. and finincial aid aviliable

and its in minnesota and in all 3 of those college i attend, i have seen a bulliten board with a peice of paper from RIT that once u're done with AAS degree u can go to RIT and its those 3 college suggust since RIT is best college...

My RIT buddies also say RIT offers BA degrees if you aren't satisfied with AAS. I think that's cool! I was impressed with what RIT had in its store, too, when I visited it once.

Yeah...and actually Gally is classified by US News and World Report as a pretty good school!

I need degree and good job. I will graduate LaGuardian Community College. I may be back to bachelor degree in CSUN or other colleges. I may not be back to RIT again because of personal reasons. I was happy with education in NTID but I was not happy with stupid roommates in NTID. Suggest you that you must know any person for taking time before whoever will become your roommate.

FutureGame2100 said:
I'll go to the NTID/RIT because I want to learn how to design PC games. :D
Not to offend RIT/NTID and its capabilities or any RIT/NTID people.. I personally like RIT/NTID but if you want to learn how to design PC games, try University of Advancing Technology if RIT did not meet your requirements.

I am not sure if they do provide the interpreting service.. so if you are interesting, you can try and contact them thru email about that. Just offer you few options for that position since game design is very competitive position.. I am not sure about RIT and its area for game design though.

Last edited:
For college, I attended 5 years at New Jersey Institute of Technology, studying architecture. I also did a semester of study abroad experience in my ancestor's hometown, Darmstadt, Germany, at the Fachhochschule (FHD). I have graduated in 2000, but decided that I wasn't happy with my career choice so I have been doing different things related to linguistics. Hopefully, I will plan on going to University of Utah for their ASL teaching program and maybe study something else too. Still need to learn more about my options. Right now I am working as an ASL Lab Tutor at a community college and as a Deaf Mentor for NE SLC area.

DeafSCUBA98 said:

That's correct about RIT is the best college in nation. RIT rulez. Smiles.

Liza, Liza... what do you do for a living? Tell me... What have you really learned in Gallaudet - education-wise, of course. What have you gained? Don't give me any of that how great the deaf 'social life' is mumbo jumbo. You can get that without having to go to a special school that calls itself an University.

Deafdyke - "Yeah...and actually Gally is classified by US News and World Report as a pretty good school!" -- Are you kidding me? That's not even a good lie!! My kid brother could come up with something ten times more believable! Hell, even the 'my dog ate my homework' bullshit is more believable compared to THAT! I mean.. come on!! Quit horsing around!

Gallaudet... Gallaudet.. any moron can get in. I know a LOT of idiots that have been accepted into Gallaudet! They're desperately in need of students so they'll eroll anyone, yes.. even you!

Back