What would you do? (This is for everyone!)

Mudkipz

Reaction score
As the title and video says... "What would you do?" when it comes to job discrimination for the Deaf/Hard of hearing?: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcAymTu-CE&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Job Discrimination for the Hearing Impaired, 'What Would You Do?' 2/4/2011‬‏[/ame] (Awesome video by the way! Please take your time and watch it!)

This is for everyone and you don't need to have a job to post in this thread. Use your imagination and post on what would you do! :wave:

• Did you ever apply for a job without letting the employer know that you either Deaf or HoH until the interview/meet?
  • Were you ever in a job interview? If so, how did you tell them your situation and what was their reaction?
  • How did/would you work with other people? Say you are working at Starbucks, how would you interact with customers? What if it was in a real busy job like a Crime scene investigator? (Imagine a Deaf/HoH Partner with you! Awesome!)
  • Did you ever had to network/meet other people in order to you to get a job placement out college/grad school? Did your college/grad school support you on job placement? If yes, how?
  • Have you ever went to a deaf school and studied on a major at a college that has likely the best support for the Deaf/HoH like Gallaudet/NTID/CSUN :)D)? If not, what was the college you went to that had probably, only you as a Deaf/HoH and a few others? How was it?
  • Most importantly, did you have fun with your job, financially and enjoyably?
Please share life/job/financial advices for not only me, but for others! And is there a similar thread compared to this one? I'm sorry if there is, but the more, the merrier! :D

I remember it on repost! I know already youtube, manager discrimination to deaf, that is point, I remember observed it manager is very verbal on complaint to argue to discrimination

If I were that girl, I would just bash on him and sue his ass.

..... sue?

2lmnp8p.png

I have only been HoH since 2007 and haven't developed that much of a "Deaf Accent" so I normally do not tell them until after the interview and they state they hired me. I hope entrapment isn't illegal on jobs.

I'd file a complaint with the DOJ, complain to the BBB, the local business organizations, and call the local paper to do a story on the incident.

Thank you, AllDeaf, for your responses to the video, but what about the rest of the post that is main point of the thread(!) as what would YOU do when it came to this?:
* Did you ever apply for a job without letting the employer know that you either Deaf or HoH until the interview/meet?
* Were you ever in a job interview? If so, how did you tell them your situation and what was their reaction?
* How did/would you work with other people? Say you are working at Starbucks, how would you interact with customers? What if it was in a real busy job like a Crime scene investigator? (Imagine a Deaf/HoH Partner with you! Awesome!)
* Did you ever had to network/meet other people in order to you to get a job placement out college/grad school? Did your college/grad school support you on job placement? If yes, how?
* Have you ever went to a deaf school and studied on a major at a college that has likely the best support for the Deaf/HoH like Gallaudet/NTID/CSUN ()? If not, what was the college you went to that had probably, only you as a Deaf/HoH and a few others? How was it?
* Most importantly, did you have fun with your job, financially and enjoyably?

However thank you for taking your time. :)

Did you ever apply for a job without letting the employer know that you either Deaf or HoH until the interview/meet?

Actually, i still haven't told them...

How did/would you work with other people?

I'm really good at lipreading so that's what i do.

Say you are working at Starbucks, how would you interact with customers?

Just the same way I do at Sonic. I lipread. If I don't understand, I ask them to repeat it.

After I get my hearing aids, I suppose I will have to explain. I'm not looking forward to that. Because if they fire me, I am still fired even if I sue. In the meantime, between getting fired and the settlement, what would I do to pay the bills? Hopefully, things go better than I expect.

Did you ever apply for a job without letting the employer know that you either Deaf or HoH until the interview/meet?

Just the same way I do at Sonic. I lipread. If I don't understand, I ask them to repeat it.

After I get my hearing aids, I suppose I will have to explain. I'm not looking forward to that. Because if they fire me, I am still fired even if I sue. In the meantime, between getting fired and the settlement, what would I do to pay the bills? Hopefully, things go better than I expect.

Oh my gosh!! :shock::lol:

And you're right! even if you sue, you're still fired, but it can help other deafies like me get a job as the law/settlement hear your situation and adjust (is that the right wordings?).

Keep it low as you get hearing aids and work the next day. After all, you are still working like before (they haven't fired you for poor job performance or anything). Do you have long hair? Just wondering and that can lend to my suggestion/idea... :hmm:

Ok Im a good speechreader (lipreading combated with sound) and wear custom made earplugs to assist with speechreading. http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...sed-custom-earmould-plugs-treatment-capd.html

Is it anyones business(in a work situations)? That I speechread NO

When looking at headsets? The fact I use bone conduction to hear on the phone(by placing the normal phone in front of Tragus when my bc headphones sit) then I will tell them about my APD and only then and then ask for a bc headset

Will I lie on a job application and say I dont have a hearing issue if it asks that specific question no I will not

Ok Im a good speechreader (lipreading combated with sound) and wear custom made earplugs to assist with speechreading. http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...sed-custom-earmould-plugs-treatment-capd.html

Is it anyones business(in a work situations)? That I speechread NO

When looking at headsets? The fact I use bone conduction to hear on the phone(by placing the normal phone in front of Tragus when my bc headphones sit) then I will tell them about my APD and only then and then ask for a bc headset

Will I lie on a job application and say I dont have a hearing issue if it asks that specific question no I will not

That is really the best way to handle it. I recommend that clients not mention any disability until they have been offered the job. At that point, I advise them to self disclose for the sole purpose of accommodation. If they do not disclose, they cannot ask for accommodation once they are working.

They can't fire you for being deaf, can they?

* Did you ever apply for a job without letting the employer know that you either Deaf or HoH until the interview/meet?
Honestly, yes

* Were you ever in a job interview? If so, how did you tell them your situation and what was their reaction?
Well, a "friend" of mine tried to get me a job at a fast food store years ago, but she felt it was necessary to tell the owner that I'm HOH. That didn't go very well. But most interviews I have I wait until after being hired. Which is wrong to do but every time I have mentioned my hearing to them I get turned down. Very selective few bosses I've had were understanding.

* How did/would you work with other people? Say you are working at Starbucks, how would you interact with customers? What if it was in a real busy job like a Crime scene investigator? (Imagine a Deaf/HoH Partner with you! Awesome!)
I read lips. I work at a gas station alone and most of my customers are regulars and know about my hearing and try to be understanding. I am constantly having to tell new customers " I'm sorry I'm hard of hearing".

* Did you ever had to network/meet other people in order to you to get a job placement out college/grad school? Did your college/grad school support you on job placement? If yes, how?
I have had relatives get me jobs at their workplace but that was a bit awkward. I normally just find jobs on my own.

* Have you ever went to a deaf school and studied on a major at a college that has likely the best support for the Deaf/HoH like Gallaudet/NTID/CSUN ()? If not, what was the college you went to that had probably, only you as a Deaf/HoH and a few others? How was it?
I never went to college, I did graduate a mainstream school though. It was challenging but never really came across deaf/HOH kids so I felt pretty alone.

Currently looking for a better job actually :)

They can't fire you for being deaf, can they?

No, but they can find any number of other reasons not to hire you or to fire you without specifically saying its because you are deaf. That is why I tell people not to disclose a disability or need for accommodation until they have been offered the position. If they back up and don't hire you at that point, you can be sure it is because of the disability, and you have a basis for a lawsuit.

Thank you, AllDeaf, for your responses to the video, but what about the rest of the post that is main point of the thread(!) as what would YOU do when it came to this?:

However thank you for taking your time. :)

* Did you ever apply for a job without letting the employer know that you either Deaf or HoH until the interview/meet? No
* Were you ever in a job interview? If so, how did you tell them your situation and what was their reaction?I was placed by vocational rehabilitation in jobs. I did not interview for a job.
* How did/would you work with other people? Say you are working at Starbucks, how would you interact with customers? What if it was in a real busy job like a Crime scene investigator? (Imagine a Deaf/HoH Partner with you! Awesome!)I never interacted with anybody in a job as I worked alone.Except for directions from a supervisor for anything out of the ordinary which never happened too often.
* Did you ever had to network/meet other people in order to you to get a job placement out college/grad school? Did your college/grad school support you on job placement? If yes, how?NA
* Have you ever went to a deaf school and studied on a major at a college that has likely the best support for the Deaf/HoH like Gallaudet/NTID/CSUN ()? If not, what was the college you went to that had probably, only you as a Deaf/HoH and a few others? How was it?I have studied in colleges with few Deaf/Hoh and it was difficult to say the least. But I am not young.
I had fun later when I worked for myself doing pet care and pet sitting. I wasn't forced into it and I get along well with that clientele. (animals)

* Did you ever apply for a job without letting the employer know that you either Deaf or HoH until the interview/meet? No
* Were you ever in a job interview? If so, how did you tell them your situation and what was their reaction?I was placed by vocational rehabilitation in jobs. I did not interview for a job.
* How did/would you work with other people? Say you are working at Starbucks, how would you interact with customers? What if it was in a real busy job like a Crime scene investigator? (Imagine a Deaf/HoH Partner with you! Awesome!)I never interacted with anybody in a job as I worked alone.Except for directions from a supervisor for anything out of the ordinary which never happened too often.
* Did you ever had to network/meet other people in order to you to get a job placement out college/grad school? Did your college/grad school support you on job placement? If yes, how?NA
* Have you ever went to a deaf school and studied on a major at a college that has likely the best support for the Deaf/HoH like Gallaudet/NTID/CSUN ()? If not, what was the college you went to that had probably, only you as a Deaf/HoH and a few others? How was it?I have studied in colleges with few Deaf/Hoh and it was difficult to say the least. But I am not young.
I had fun later when I worked for myself doing pet care and pet sitting. I wasn't forced into it and I get along well with that clientele. (animals)

Yep. BVR did your negotiating for you. It never hurts to have them available to help negotiate accommodations.

Back