What would you do if........

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
You had parents who might potentially be addicted to playing the sratch-on cards to win money?

Reason why I say this is because every time I come down here, they're usually buying cards at the gas station, but last night, they got just a little too carried away, raising red flags for me. What should I do?

just leave it, its the Christmas rush, they are feeling the pinch after buying all your MTB gears lol

just leave it, its the Christmas rush, they are feeling the pinch after buying all your MTB gears lol

Uh, yeah..... I didn't anything THAT fancy. The only thing I got fancy was a nice skillet for frying my homemade potatoes in, or french fries. However, I just might ask 'em to buy me a new tablet....... (I'm joking..... sort of)

:laugh2:...Used to have a license plate on my Continental saying..."I'm Spending My Kids Inheritance"....and I do play the Scratch Off Cards occasionally...even Lotto....

Well, I'm sure ur parents are gonna notice "something" about you too, that will "concern" them....:giggle:...anyhow, it's Christmas time, so I would let it go...for a better time and if you do notice the card buying is excessive...well...it's their $$..and who knows? They just might hit the Jackpot.

I don't know what to say here. Those money would be saved towards buying a car with turbocharged for themselves. Then again, if they play those scratch off often enough, they may win enough to buy everyone on Alldeaf a vehicle with turbocharged engine. For that reason, I would suggest them to keep playing on.

No, seriously, if they're helping with your rent or medical bill, I can understand you being concerned. If they're not helping with any of your bill, it would be better to stay out of way.

What would I do?

I would mind my own business.

It is their money, they are adults, buying those cards is not illegal. If they are addicted, and they want to stop, they can choose to get help for it.

Unless they neglect to pay their bills and obligations, there really isn't anything you can do.

It isn't any of your business. You should really just stay out of it.

One can object if the funds came from oneself. Hardly the case, apparently.

Does "zip the lip" apply?

You think your parents are behind in paying their bills or will get behind in paying their mortgage if they have one ? If they're spending more money than they're making you could try telling your parents you're concern and leave it at that. Only you know what is going on in your family and will have to use your best judgment, every family is difference and what work for one family may not work for another family.

Perhaps you are feeling jealous that they have money to spend on something you consider useless and a waste of money? Or maybe they should be using it on you rather than the cards?

We all have opinions on how we want to spend money. This is what they decided on.

Perhaps you are feeling jealous that they have money to spend on something you consider useless and a waste of money? Or maybe they should be using it on you rather than the cards?

We all have opinions on how we want to spend money. This is what they decided on.

I do not think the OP is jealous at all , he said he is seeing " red flags" and that means he is concerned about his parents spending habits. We do not know the whole story and we really do not need to know it.

I do not think the OP is jealous at all , he said he is seeing " red flags" and that means he is concerned about his parents spending habits. We do not know the whole story and we really do not need to know it.

I am just suggesting my opinion. You can suggest your own. He came here asking for advice. I am sorry you don't like my opinion.

There really isn't much you can do about it. Just be ready to help them if they ever ask for help in overcoming their addiction (if it is one).

Elderly parents can do lots of things that we don't agree with but we can't do anything about it (as long as it's legal and not endangering others). Sadly, that's why our society has hoarders, dangerous elderly drivers, and senior citizens who get ripped off by internet and phone scams.

There really isn't much you can do about it. Just be ready to help them if they ever ask for help in overcoming their addiction (if it is one).

Elderly parents can do lots of things that we don't agree with but we can't do anything about it (as long as it's legal and not endangering others). Sadly, that's why our society has hoarders, dangerous elderly drivers, and senior citizens who get ripped off by internet and phone scams.

That's the thing..... I don't go down there often enough to know if it is one or not. That's why I used the word "potentially", meaning I do not know if they are or not, but I see them buying the cards every time I go down there, and they usually buy 1-2, but that night they brought quite a few, and spent a lot of money doing it, and while I might not agree with it, I didn't say anything, cause I full well knew that saying something would just start an row, and that was the last thing I wanted, so I stayed quiet, and they did ask me what was on my mind, and I couldn't say much, cause there was too much on my mind at that moment.

The news reporter on TV is warning people about getting emails that looks like official bank emails that ask you for SS# and other banking info . The
reporter said not to answer the email or open. It would be best to call your bank and see if they are sending out any emails.

The news reporter on TV is warning people about getting emails that looks like official bank emails that ask you for SS# and other banking info . The
reporter said not to answer the email or open. It would be best to call your bank and see if they are sending out any emails.

If my bank wants to send me a message, they have a Secure Message Center for that purpose, but they'll send me an e-mail informing me I should take a look at it.

As long as their bills are paid.... Doesn't really matter. Even then, it's their business not yours. At least it isn't a drug addiction.... :dunno2:

Back