what would you do if you were me?

A

apathrev

Today I looked on a local music forum that a couple of my coworkers post on, and a friend of mine that I've known for a couple of years had posted part of a conversation that he had relayed. Now he's one of the kind of people who thinks he's superior to people, and he finds ASL influenced grammar humorous, along with other friends of mine that work there. I don't think it is. He has obviously, and publicly broken confidentiality, and I'm sure its not the first time he's done this. The part of the call in question is a paragraph long, and although I'm sure its not 100 percent accurately transcripted, it still crosses the line. I have it in my mind to print off the page and turn it into his supervisor. He would no doubt be fired. MCI strictly prohibits acts like this. But what is preventing me is that even though he did this, he is still my friend, and I know he needs the job. I don't wish anything bad for him, but its people like him that just make ethics look like some big joke. What would you do if you were in my position? Do I turn my head? Do I turn him in? I'm really torn on this one.

I use Relay everyday. It devastates me to know a few operators can be corrupted.

If you truly care about the welfare of us, deaf folks, you'd report him in.

This makes me saddened....that my privacy could be violated. Here I place my life in ones hands during conversations and not knowing whether I'm respected or protected sucks.

:( :hug: Oh Cental, this has to be the worst part of your job when you find that confidentiality has been broken. You are so true to your job, you know the ethics and limitations that go with your job.

First off, yes he is your friend, but that stays behind the boundaries. Because this person used part of a confidential conversation publicly, this is now a professional boundary that has been broken.

Because of your knowledge of what has happened, you can let his Supervisor know, but, also remain anonoymus, even though consciously this is going to bother you because he is a colleague and a friend. But, at the same time, if you didn't turn him in, and someone else did, but, also told them that you had knowledge of this, you could lose your job too, and that would be tragic.

The boundaries here Cental is what is killing you, he is your friend, but, he did something unprofessional, and especially if the person who typed this conversation ever saw this, God knows the consequences that could happen.

Follow your heart my friend, I know you will do the right thing. Because this person does think they're superior, and nothing is done about this breach of confidence, this person will know they can get away with anything, and that is not fair to you and the other relay operators who do their job professionally.

You are a good person, Cental, I know you will make the right decision. Good luck, and please let me know how you made out, and which road you decided to take. You just have to follow your heart. :angel:

I wonder how often people do that. I use relay sometimes when I dont have access to an amplified phone or Im in a noisy place. I hate to think people would repeat what I say but people are people, and things like that happen.

I'm sorry your friend did that and I'm sure it's not easy to decide what to do. I hope you can make a decision you feel comfortable with :hug:

I'm really sorry that it has to happen like this. At this point, you are all right. I do need to turn him in. This is the biggest case I've ever seen, but phrases it is not uncommon for some ROs to go around and repeat a phrase they think sounds funny. Its never any personal information, but just something they think is funny because its hard for them to swallow that another language has a different word order *gasp*. I guess they just don't take their job seriously. I don't think anything such as phone numbers, addresses, credit card numbers, etc are being recorded or repeated, but who knows. I've heard several ROs getting pissed at deaf users, and saying "I wish I could get back at this person." No wonder relay is completely private and anonymous. I see the point in that now.

Now, if my friend were to find out I had turned him in, the backlash would be harsh, not only from him but from a majority of the people that is he friends with (which is many). Memphis' call center is a place where several people who are involved with the local underground music scene work, and this person in question is one of the most prominent people in the scene. These people who are involved in this scene are the younger kids, between ages of 18 and 25 who aren't going to college, and are just looking for a good paying job, but are still living with their parents. They don't take their job seriously. And more and more of these types are getting hired.

I guess I don't really have a choice. Meg, you are right. If I do care for the people who depend on this service at all, I'll do the right thing. I'm really sorry about this. We are scumbags.

Cental, not to minimize Meg's great response but what if you go to your friend and tell him to remove the offending post or you will be forced to take action? Would that, in addition, to removing the post, also make him realize the gravity of what he has done and would never do it again. In other words, can he be trusted to not do this again or is he that incorrigible?

It would do no good. He doesn't take this job seriously at all, and what has been done cannot be undone. A good, ethical friend of mine was fired for being suspected of breaking confidenitality, in which I still don't believe she did. In this case, I know he'd do this again.

Ok, then, Cental, to the battle stations!

I feel for ya, man, but ya gotta...................

I just finished talking with customer service about wishing to remain anonymous, and they've informed me I will need to talk with either customer service or a supervisor. I guess after this, there is no turning back. I never thought doing the right thing would be so hard. I really hate being the only ethical operator I know of.

Awww... It sucks to be in this situation... you know what you gonna do as what your guts is telling you and you feel it's right in your heart and mind. Good luck and you need that :thumb:

Cental, I hope you get support at work! You'll always get it here :grouphug:
AND you have your self respect... that has a hefty price tag sometimes, but you have it and the other RO's who lack ethics don't have self respect... they needed to make some deaf customers look bad so they would feel good. That's pretty pathetic isn't it? ;)

Thanks for the support. I've decided the best way for me to do this is do it anonymously. I plan leaving a note one his supervisor's desk, late in the night, when I know no one is around. If this did come back to me, I'd probably be blacklisted by not only my friends, but other ROs and possibly even management. I guess you're right, Liza. He doesn't have self respect. The one thing I am proud to say is I don't plan on staying with this job. Most of my friends who work here actually think they'll have this job forever and will be make to make a career out of it, yet the are constantly breaking attendance policies and breaking the rules.

Central34, if you do find the name or business mentioned in the music forum, report directly to the superisvor. If there is no evidence in callers' names or businesses but converations, there is no way your firm can terminate your friend or co-worker. It is not easy being a whiste-blower since you would have to be in the courtroom for the lawsuit...

mld4ds said:
Central34, if you do find the name or business mentioned in the music forum, report directly to the superisvor. If there is no evidence in callers' names or businesses but converations, there is no way your firm can terminate your friend or co-worker. It is not easy being a whiste-blower since you would have to be in the courtroom for the lawsuit...

His screenname is his real name.

And even if not, MCI will fire even if they suspect him of it. They are an at will company, and have an outrageous turnover rate. They fire for pleasure.

cental, maybe you could c/p the post without his name or the url attached. this way it couldnt be directly linked to him. send it to his boss and let him know (annonymously) that you feel this sort of behavior from relay agents is unacceptable and that they should relay any potential punishments in the future. If your friend continues to behave in this manner even after having been reprimanded, then he deserves to loose the job.

cental34 said:
His screenname is his real name.

And even if not, MCI will fire even if they suspect him of it. They are an at will company, and have an outrageous turnover rate. They fire for pleasure.

I have a suggestion without mentioning your name. Just print the hardcopies from the Music forum and put them on your boss's desk when he/she is not presently...

cental34 said:
What would you do if you were in my position? Do I turn my head? Do I turn him in? I'm really torn on this one.

I would turn him in, If he broke the policy of keeping conversation confidentiality then he should be report. Don't feel bad because he is your friend, Do the right thing by following your heart.

cental34 said:
Well, its done. I'm still shaking over doing it, but its done.

I'm glad you did it, Be proud that you stood up to what is right. :hug:

I don't have any regrets that I reported on my friend who worked with me before at the Daycare, because It was my duty to protect those children from harm and she broke the policy of keeping the children safe.

Central I know it hard but the lesson had to be learn once it happened. This may take a hard on the other RO's to realized it is happening and they may not want to break the policy cuz of their fear of losing their job.

You did the right thing even thought he is your friend. I have been there and done that. I report superior about my friend stole the money from someone else and I asked her for forgiving me. And she did. Cuz she knew she did it wrong and knowing that I did it right thing. Yea I was scared but managed to get through it.

Wish you the best of luck. :hug:

u did the right thing, the code of ethics are not one to be fucked with.. it had to be done......

Back