What would you do about this?

deafpower80

Reaction score
What would you do if your spouse not ask you for permission first before he buy vehicle?? Marriage require dicuss and make agreement together can't act like being single.

It depends on if you have a join bank account or not. Did you express to your spouse how you felt about this?

Haha...

I'm not concerned about this. Simple put, as far as it is his own hard-earned money he wants to buy a car as he wish since it's not hard to have a seperated bank (it means NO joint account.) Easy as there is. Why should I be upset without him asking my permission since it's not my
money?

Otherwise, sooner or later he realizes he couldn't afford to buy a car or make the payment of lease or whatever...then it's not my problem. He knows what to do like having a second thought to make a solution.

Married couples usually get together and discuss about making major purchases, especially new cars....so, I'd kinda be a little po'ed of my hubby did this without telling me first.

Reminds me of a friend, whose hubby (in his late 40's) went out and bought a new "yellow Corvette" convertible.....without telling her...he was going thru a "mid-life crisis"...so she promptly went out and bought a new Camaro for spite!...Before the new car purchases, they were driving a Toyota and a station wagon (they had kids)....They had to struggle with those car payments!

A car purchase is something I would want to discuss. Not necessarily grant permission, but just so we would be on the same page. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

It depends on if you have a join bank account or not. Did you express to your spouse how you felt about this?

I think I'd go with Shel on this... but letting your partner know about your desire to get a new car (whether your money or not) is still recommanded. You are a couple and couples are ought to make decisions together and talk things over... :cool2:

not a big deal, as long as the spouse don't care if his wife buys a car for herself without telling him either. You have to know that when to people get married, they can make each other look bad on credit when they jump into buying things like this. Plus, I think loans ask for your spouse's information and people don't want their information get thrown around without their knowledge.

But planning on buying a car should not be a secret. If your wife is concern, she probably have good reason... like house mortage or children to worry about.

I think I'd go with Shel on this... but letting your partner know about your desire to get a new car (whether your money or not) is still recommanded. You are a couple and couples are ought to make decisions together and talk things over... :cool2:

Even if we didn't have a joint account I'd just want to know, since we're living together. I kinda like to know things like an entire car is parked in the driveway.

:whistle:

Even if we didn't have a joint account I'd just want to know, since we're living together. I kinda like to know things like an entire car is parked in the driveway.

:whistle:

That's what I meant ;)

This happens fairly frequently at my house. :) My dad has a separate account for farm related expenses. The day I left for college, he brought a tractor....and a few days after I graduated college, he brought a 4-wheeler. My mom raised an eyebrow, smiled and moved on.

But yeah, I would discuss a car purchase if it is meant to be used jointly and/or expenses are tight.

There is kind of a huge chunk of information missing. We don't even know the OP's status or who they are.

If the earnings are in 6 figures or per month (or year even), I would see it's probably not a big deal for the husband to let the wife know. Depends on the family, but should probably get away with it a majority of this bracket imo.
If the husband is the primary breadwinner and the wife is the homeowner, it gets a little tricky. I suppose it's up to each and every family to decide their rules.
If you aren't from the USA and in some patriarch orientated culture, I bid you a honest good luck to overcome it.

As for all else, the usual. Husband doesn't care about you enough, self-centered, not keeping marriage vows, impulse buys, not thinking, stupid, etc etc.

There is kind of a huge chunk of information missing. We don't even know the OP's status or who they are.

If the earnings are in 6 figures or per month (or year even), I would see it's probably not a big deal for the husband to let the wife know. Depends on the family, but should probably get away with it a majority of this bracket imo.
If the husband is the primary breadwinner and the wife is the homeowner, it gets a little tricky. I suppose it's up to each and every family to decide their rules.
If you aren't from the USA and in some patriarch orientated culture, I bid you a honest good luck to overcome it.

As for all else, the usual. Husband doesn't care about you enough, self-centered, not keeping marriage vows, impulse buys, not thinking, stupid, etc etc.

Maybe he kept asking her for sex, she kept saying NO NO NO NO, so he decided to buy a car to impress her. :hmm:

sounds like he shits money :dunno:

What would you do if your spouse not ask you for permission first before he buy vehicle?? Marriage require dicuss and make agreement together can't act like being single.

This is a big issue and I agree with you that it is a cause for concern-it could mean he hasn't grown up yet. One person that I have seen help alot of couples with matters such as this is Dave Ramsey-check out his site and his financial university. I highly recommend him to anyone.

Both will be doomed if one of them buy the huge amount of $ without telling to each other. Nothing else. :d

Back