What would the perfect mobile devise for Deaf/HOH be able to do?

RonJaxon

Reaction score
If you could design a great app (iPhone, Android, smart phone, etc...) for deaf and HOH what would you want it to be able to do? Doesn't matter if you think its currently possible or not. Just imagine you had the portable phone/device and things you'd wish you could use it for in regards to being deaf or HOH.

Here are a some that come to mind for me.

Voice recognition (speech to text) that would work both over the phone (as in replacing a relay operator) and also in person (as in a microphone that you can read what ever speech it picks up).

ASL reference. As a person who wasn't always deaf and didn't grow up with ASL. This could be handy at times. Let's face it. ASL can also be an ice breaker topic when meeting people. I'd want this reference to find the sign by both typing the word and also by speaking it into the device.

Controls for my cochlear implant or a hearing aid.

Some kind of emergency call service.

That's just a few I'd want. What would you want?

Ron Jaxon

Wow. That's interesting. Maybe everyone is happy with what's already out there. I would have thought there'd be loads of ideas with the group we've got here.

Ron Jaxon

An application that gives an automated message that it is not a voice phone and is a data-only text phone. Or automatically changes the voice to text in real-time.

Good one BecLak. I can see how that could be handy for some.

I knew some of you felt like I do in that more is possible then what's currently available.

Wouldn't it be great (in some ways) if some of these tech people who made these devices lost their hearing? I know that seems mean but I bet they would then understand the need for these things and they'd be made real quickly. One thing we have to our advantage is the owner of google is HOH.

Ron Jaxon

I KNOW this is not really your topic, but I don't know where else to post it - am an infrequent poster here. I just want to say that I recently got an Ipod 4th gen. & am amazed that the Dragon Dictate free app allows me to (finally!! after becoming profoundly deaf 10 yrs ago & not being a candidiate for any current h.a, nor for CI) understand at least the gist of what my husband is saying. We'd previously tried Dragon Naturally Speaking twice, with very poor results - I think we needed a better mic. The ipod 4th generation has a built-in mic & without any "training" of any sort, spouse was able to orally communicate & let me read his (mundane!!) comments. The divorce may not loom after all! I plan to try it with visitors - it'd be such a godsend to understand at least somewhat in a social setting. (Lest anyone wonder, spouse & I just are not smart enough to learn ASL at 60+ yrs old!)

Sorry - I forgot to say a minute ago that my dream would be a truly mobile ipod type device that would translate anybody's speech to text in any location, with no roaming charges or limits at all. Jibbigo claims to do this now, but when I contacted them, I was told that the accuracy was only about 60% & worse for some speakers. I LOVE my Ipod 4th gen w/Dragon Dictate but can't use it away from home!

Let's up the ante and add the ability to enlarge the text. Wouldn't it be nice to drive down the road and only glance at the text to know what the person riding with you is saying?

Have to credit the original inventor with this little gem: http://thecookiebitechronicles.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/kookybite-beard-away.jpg

Something that will convert my incoming voice calls to text for FREE - tired of having to pay extra for an additional service to do these things as they are considered a business app which will save your business time and money - not me!

And probably something that electrocutes the caller's ear if they persist in dialling my number after they have been told more than twice already that it is for SMS.

Voice recognition (speech to text) that would work both over the phone (as in replacing a relay operator) and also in person (as in a microphone that you can read what ever speech it picks up).

Some kind of emergency call service.

My life would be so much easier with just the things listed above - that's all I ask for.

Tim

I had Voice-to-Text with Alltel before they were bought by Verizon. After Verizon officially assumed the contracts, our Voice-to-Text was done away with. :(

Back