what works for you?

hurleysrus

Reaction score
What works for me may not work for you. Why? Different circumstances, situations, beliefs, and maybe even social pressures. As I was growing up my progressive hearing loss was denied and ignored. I had no exposure to Deaf or deaf so when my hearing left me completely I was lost and floundered. When I heard I could regain some of that I jumped. Was this the best answer? Maybe yes, maybe no. I have learned a new way to living. I have learned people are more honest with their body than with words. However normal hearing assume my implants make my hearing" normal". They do not. Deaf seem offended that I miss what I used to have. I still flounder in hearing situations, just not as bad. I can pass for hearing but get mad I need too. I am slow learning ASL and that frustrated me to. But don't get me wrong, I am happy with my choice. You take the good with the bad. I am still learning to cope.

I would really like to know more about your deaf hood, how you cope or not, and how you decisions work FOR YOU.

I went to a college that had only 25 deaf students. I wish I would have went to RIT or Gallaudet where I would have met more deaf people. I'm 36 now. It's kind of late. I missed out on the good stuffs when I was young. By the way, I did get a bachelor degree, but I don't care about it.

yeah gally while young was aswome (understatement)....damn those gally parties....oahhhhh.....ntid too hoahahahaha
phew
time o my life
those Deafie chicks at gally
meow!!!

I went to a college that had only 25 deaf students. I wish I would have went to RIT or Gallaudet where I would have met more deaf people. I'm 36 now. It's kind of late. I missed out on the good stuffs when I was young. By the way, I did get a bachelor degree, but I don't care about it.

The small letter for deaf, does it mean that they are oral. No ASL. If you would be living in the dormitory where d/Deaf live while attending college, you would be able to sign ASL with them.

I was living in a dormitory in Seattle, Washington where there were Deaf students, both males and females - mixed. We were practically right at home as the Deaf Community. We signed away happily and very comfortable. Everyone get to know each other. Same in the classrooms where we get ASL interpreters to help us know what is going on in the hearing classrooms. I love it back then. :D

The small letter for deaf, does it mean that they are oral. No ASL. If you would be living in the dormitory where d/Deaf live while attending college, you would be able to sign ASL with them.

I was living in a dormitory in Seattle, Washington where there were Deaf students, both males and females - mixed. We were practically right at home as the Deaf Community. We signed away happily and very comfortable. Everyone get to know each other. Same in the classrooms where we get ASL interpreters to help us know what is going on in the hearing classrooms. I love it back then. :D

Many of them knew both oral and ASL. Some knew about Deaf Culture. Some did not. The #25 was pretty low. I wish it was higher so that I would have had more people to interact with.

I am in a Deaf world all my life. I still socialize with hearing people as well.

Back