What was your expierence before and after CI surgery?

Well 3 days after surgery I'm doing well but still feel sore enough to want to take panadol (same as tylernol) every few hours. Finding a sleeping position has been a challenge but I've finally found a position that makes me happy and ironically this is sleeping on the same side as the implant.

Sarah make sure that you get your kids watched while you are recovering - I cannot stress how much it has helped to have babysitting. You'll heal faster the less you do and the more you rest. And don't feel guilty about giving them lots of videos to watch! You can always make up for it afterwards.

R2D2,

Sounds like you are on the mend. Wow, your're sleeping on the same side as implant? I couldn't do that for a couple of months after surgery.

Awesome... I'm excitedly looking forward to my consultation to find out when I may turn into a ciborg :)

sr171soars said:
R2D2,

Sounds like you are on the mend. Wow, your're sleeping on the same side as implant? I couldn't do that for a couple of months after surgery.

I was surprised too. In fact I reckon in my case it really helps - I've noticed that ever since I've done that the ear feels much happier during the day and less numb and swollen. I wonder whether it's because all the blood coming down from gravity to that ear is helping it heal faster? I think that before I was treating it with kid gloves and it wasn't getting much circulation?

Today I feel better - happy not to take any pain killer today although I will do it tonight. I hope to start up my daily walks and yoga again soon because my back is complaining!

R2D2 said:
I was surprised too. In fact I reckon in my case it really helps - I've noticed that ever since I've done that the ear feels much happier during the day and less numb and swollen. I wonder whether it's because all the blood coming down from gravity to that ear is helping it heal faster? I think that before I was treating it with kid gloves and it wasn't getting much circulation?

Today I feel better - happy not to take any pain killer today although I will do it tonight. I hope to start up my daily walks and yoga again soon because my back is complaining!

R2D2, I felt the same way about finally sleeping on my CI incision side. For a few days after the surgery I treated it with "kid gloves" too and was afraid to sleep on the CI side.. but in the middle of the night I happened to roll over on that side any way, and it felt GOOD. Actually took some of the pain away. Don't know if it's because of the pressure was a relief, or if the pressure lessened the itchy feeling.. you know, it's the same when you get a cut on your finger or something, and press down on it, and it numbs the pain :) whatever, it worked and I slept happily on my CI side since.

Glad to hear you are doing well-- can't wait to hear your experiences on your "hook up" day. :hyper:

Here's my "before/after" story:

Before CI: STONE DEAF. Big "D" deafie, Gally grad, ASL user, etc.. started considering CI at age 28... after lots of soul searching, decided to get CI. Said "Screw it" to all CI nay-sayers. Told a few Deaf buddies about my plans, watched them all keel over in surprise. :shock: Put up with disdain and "You hearing-on-forehead-robot wannabe" comments. Listened to endless arguments about "why CI is bad-against CI for kids-idiotic CI myths"...etc.. Said "Stuff it" and scheduled surgery date for Oct 2002.

Oct 14 2002- age 29, surgery date. Scared shitless :Ohno: , as never had any kind of surgery before. Sweated nervously at thought of being forcefully put to sleep. Was forcefully put to sleep anyway. :zzz: Woke up deliriously happy in Morphine La-la land, no pain whatsoever. Was told had to stay in hospital overnight, and spent the night giggling giddily in morphine cloud, giving thumbs-up sign to every visitor and nurse in room. :crazy: Went to bathroom, stared at crazy head padding, laughed like loon. :laugh2: Woke up next morning, very depressed re: morphine withdrawal. Rode home in haze of oral painkillers, feeling nauseated and tired.. :( Spent next couple of weeks in Queen of House manner, being catered to by hubby, family, and friends while passing the time watching dumb movies, eating, reading, and sitting on bum surfing the internet :type: , patiently awaiting hook-up date of Nov 14, 2002

You can't leave us hanging there Superfroggy! I wanna hear the next installment to your funny story.

Out of interest was the CI the first time you had ever heard sound? Or did you have more hearing when you were younger?

Badass, Superfroggy!

That is eerily similar to my situation yet I'm in the first step of meeting with the surgeon for my consultation.

Do you regret your decision at all?

BTW, I don't believe that any deaf people who are oral are "hearing-on-forehead-robot wannabes" anymore. Huge life-changing experience for me and our families... :cheers:

Superfroggy said:
Here's my "before/after" story:

Spent next couple of weeks in Queen of House manner, being catered to by hubby, family, and friends while passing the time watching dumb movies, eating, reading, and sitting on bum surfing the internet :type: , patiently awaiting hook-up date of Nov 14, 2002

Do continue Superfroggy...... :hyper:

to bad we all don't have your way with words.:rofl:...so how has it been for you going from silence to sound? :dance2: ??? or :eek: ???

I :bowdown: to your expertise in sharing your jouney. :h5: eagarly awaiting 'the rest of the story' :popcorn:

R2D2 said:
You can't leave us hanging there Superfroggy! I wanna hear the next installment to your funny story.

Out of interest was the CI the first time you had ever heard sound? Or did you have more hearing when you were younger?

:) R2D2, I was in fact born hearing, but lost it at age 7 due to Meningitis. That was in 1980, and the CI was still in it's early stages. I actually didn't know about the CI until I was 11, when I got enrolled in my state's residential Deaf School...by then I was using ASL, and had become pretty absorbed into Deaf Culture. Also back then the CI technology wasn't that great.. my parents had asked several doctors about a CI for me, but back then, they told people who had lost their hearing to meningitis that a CI was not an option for them. Even though I lost my hearing in childhood and lived most of my life in the Deaf community, I've always used speech with my family, and retained a pretty good memory of sounds from before I lost my hearing.
By the time I started seriously considering the CI, I honestly thought that the CI center would tell me that I was not a candidate-- due to having been totally deaf for so long, immersed in Deaf culture, etc. So it was a pleasant surprise being accepted as a candidate and allowed to have it.

Where's the rest of the story? Patience, patience... I promise to continue the Borg saga when I get a bit of free time--I only get a few chances during the day to log onto the 'net and only on my breaks from work.

Slavin' away to thankless job at the moment. To be continued when my 5 o'clock world gets here :)

:cheers:

Cool, I enjoy reading your experinces with CI. Thanks and I am looking forward to read more.

I remember my best friend told me about her experience for got CI...

That's when she was 15 or 16 years old when she got CI. I don't remember about hosptial and before that. But I do remember after she got surgery for CI becuase I went to visit her... She had the white stuff around her head, can't take the shower for maybe a week, but can wash the hair BUT have to careful from where surgery on head. Also, she got bad headaches alot from surgery, it took her heal for maybe less around 3 weeks or so, she felt better but already got used to CI since she is 21 years old right now, still learning more about CI and such like that.

GOOD LUCK ON CI, Sarah! :hug:

for me, i had my ci surgery in '92 when i was six years old for the nucleus 22..i can barely remember what happened during that time..but i do remember how i was pretty clueless about what was happening cuz i was so young..from what i heard from my parents, my ci operation took over 2 hours to complete, cuz i apparently had a lot of blood in that area which was unusual in my case..and i guess i recovered fine..except for the fact i was throwing up from the anesthesia/medications..other than that, i was able to go home that very nite..it's odd how they want u to stay over..prolly just for safety concerns..i remember even being so scared when my mom helped me remove the bandage that was wrapped around my head for several weeks..lol, i dont know why..maybe cuz i was afraid of wut i was gonna see..but yea.. :scatter:

Back