what type of Ci's can be similar to analog HAs?

Kai Onca

Reaction score
Wondering which CI's as I'm beyond hearing aid help :(

I have a Nucleus 22 and its useless as CI does not make the unit anymore so I'm just going to try other options though, I did love my analog hearing aids when I had them My hearing just got worse and worse I'm so deaf I sometimes only can hear the dog barking next to me. Deep sound only, not the high pitched bark.

Just wanted to start with people who had analog hearing aids and had to get some type of CIs and were happy with their devices that sounded so natural. CI was never natural, it sounded so different, I was never happy with it to start with and I really want to start hearing again now that I have goals set now. Wondering about other devices not CI's out there that might help. Thanks!

Doesn't your hearing get completely knocked out first before you get implanted? Not sure how you can revert back to analogs. I'm confused.

can't you just upgrade to a newer Cochlear processor? I believe at least the Freedom should be able to work with the N22 internal implant (and I think someone said the N5 will be compatible with the N22 later this year). I don't know if you'd be able to use a hearing aid in the ear that is implanted, but perhaps in the non-implanted ear.

As I understand having a Cochlear Implant one can't go back to any hearing aid. It has to do with the operation performed.
As for new models of Implant-info from one's audi should give one answers.

I still remember-get clear-the discussion-no matter what I can't go back any hearing aid in the Implanted ear. Think of the cost factor of Implanting in the first place.

I know I am beyond help for hearing aids like I already stated, and I'm looking for a cochlear implant related device that will sound just like the analog hearing aids. I'm not looking for hearing aids, if I was I would have been on eBay getting one.

My issue with my ci is it does not sound natural. I don't Know if it is my brain that says its all wrong, and I'm shocked that there are a lot people that have two implants, one was good enough for me but two, that's way overkill for someone like me who really could hear everything from the scrape of fingers rubbing together to the wind as well so annoying but I was never comfortable as it was all unnatural. My speech is now gibberish I bet. I've noticed over the years from when I started my coworkers could understand me but nowadays they have to ask me what I was saying as many are not fluent in asl. I would love the magnet removed from my right ear and have a new device replace that one if that's even possible.

Many thanks

they will only replace the internal implant if the old one is definitely broken. You really should speak with a CI surgeon or CI audie about all this and find out what you can do. Maybe they can do some testing with the old one to see if it's working properly or not; if it's not then replacement can be considered.

I have no comment on your "issue of implant not sounding natural". Whether this is a factor of "mapping" or other reasons? What has your audi suggested when advised by you? I understand the purpose of magnets to send the"sounds" to the internal processor which your brain "understands as sound".

I have had my Implant almost 5 years this August and sounds seem "real" to me. I just crossed over 5 years of being bilateral DEAF which is very silent-to me.
Prior to my Implant I used a Phonak LL6 which is analog for a number of years as I was in the "Profound loss category". I have advised many times- I actually "hear" much better with my Implant. To me-so far a success.

Last edited:
CI isn't like natural hearing ..it's electronically processed and won't sound like a hearing aid either since a hearing aid is amplified and CI is not ..so other than upgrading the processor I don't think there is much you can really do ...

I don't think there IS a device you can use once you've been implanted. If I understand it correctly, getting a CI pretty much ruins your ear for anything but another CI.

Yes, CI's sound different, but with the right mapping you hear more with the CI than with a hearing aid, even if it's different, and with time the CI will start to sound natural. I felt the same way as you at first but after a few months of using my CI every day my brain got used to it and now it sounds natural to me. It takes a lot of effort to get to that point though, it doesn't just happen - you have to practice hearing.

Sounds like you've had your CI for a while, either you are not getting proper mapping services or maybe you really do just need an upgrade on the internal parts. Sometimes if your implant is old enough, your doctor can write a letter of need to the insurance company and they might cover a new implant for you along with the surgery to put it in. It is worth looking into, the newer CI's are rather impressive.

(Although I still wish I had never gotten implanted with mine in the first place, but that's a whole other story.)

As such there is no debate whether a Cochlear Implant "delivers natural sound". It doesn't. However one's brain doesn't differentiate between them- to the best of my knowledge. Clearly better than silence-assuming it works for you!

Lily 7's observation is quite correct-it does take time for one's brain to get "used to the Implant". Contingent on the person's reaction and how long on-- everyday. Not exactly "automatic"

I'm encouraged by reading that it took so many mapping sessions for one person who was into analog like i was but was implanted with patience, and time it will happen so am looking into just upgrading, get rid of the old implant and reimplant that ear with the new one they have available nowadays.

Really thank you all for the input I'm glad I'm not crazy for thinking the sound was unnatural. Now it's up to the insurance and my resources what I can get done to get this accomplished. Fingers crossed

Back