What to do?

Cloggy said:
Our daughter, getting three years old in august received her (Bi-lateral) CI in september.
I cannot describe the joy in her eyes when she recognised sounds, the thrill when we feel when she puts the CI back on her head when it falls off, the words that she now - after 10 months - starts to immitate, the kick she gets when she recognises her sisters voice calling her from the floor above (She'd sign "listen" and her sisters name.)
We are blissed with little miracles every day. It's beautifull.
We still use sign, since she started communicating with that before she got CI, but she now starts to initiate speech.

The audiologists tuned up her "sound" slowly. Apart from 2 incidents, a chair making a scraping noise over the floor, she has never been afraid or cried. Again, I think because the "power" was very low in the beginning.

But every child is different. I've heared about parents that forced the CI on the child, but imagine when you've never heared in your life. Sounds are spooky.
So, have them start off real low and your child will enjoy it.
out of curious... how does the insurance pay for bi-latriel implant?

Well written about your personal experience, higa_byesk :)

Ellie, I agree with all that has advised you to do your homework. Don't let yourself be pushed by those docs.. sometimes the road to hell can be paved with good intentions. Get or do not get that CI for your child for the right reasons. I am concerned about if you need to be prepared to own up to them because your child may be resentful or he may be joyous. Or give the child a choice like higa had. I would like to hear from higa on this part. It is rare that I hear from those with the Experience, and I would like to learn more.

It would be nice if there provide a regeneration hearing surgery instead of CI. The experiement is not quite finished yet. I don't know if it would be ready next or few more years because of asshole George Bush's decision that delay us longer wanting to have one. If his hearings get worst, he should realize that.

CI is probably a good choice.

Here is my opinion:

The cons:

- CI require you to purchase batteries
- CI require you to purchase for earmold replacements
- CI's risk if you lost the hearing aids that cannot be replaced, but cost
more for you to purchase another one.
- CI require you to see your doctor for your CI check up (doctor's fees)
- How long CI would be last? Coils get rusty???

The Pros:

- CI helps you to hear better (for some people)
- stem cells (regeneration hearing) does not require you to purchase
batteries and earmolds
- With regeneration hearings, your ears feel free without wearing earmolds.
- Regeneration hearing does not require you to see your doctor unless your
choice.

webexplorer said:
It would be nice if there provide a regeneration hearing surgery instead of CI. The experiement is not quite finished yet. I don't know if it would be ready next or few more years because of asshole George Bush's decision that delay us longer wanting to have one. If his hearings get worst, he should realize that.

CI is probably a good choice.

Here is my opinion:

The cons:

- CI require you to purchase batteries
- CI require you to purchase for earmold replacements
- CI's risk if you lost the hearing aids that cannot be replaced, but cost
more for you to purchase another one.
- CI require you to see your doctor for your CI check up (doctor's fees)
- How long CI would be last? Coils get rusty???

The Pros:

- CI helps you to hear better (for some people)
- stem cells (regeneration hearing) does not require you to purchase
batteries and earmolds
- With regeneration hearings, your ears feel free without wearing earmolds.
- Regeneration hearing does not require you to see your doctor unless your
choice.
why does CI require earmolds? i don't wear earmolds and i'm wearing CI

CIs can and do last a long time. I know CI users who have had their implants for 18 years or more without any problems. One person I know of has had her CI for 21 years! :)

Deafscuba: I don't have an earmold with my CI either. Thankfully, earmolds are a thing of the past! :)

You can order a skeleton earmold or mic loc to hold a BTE speech processor in place (this can be helpful for children), but that's optional and does not affect the fuctionality of a CI.

webexplorer said:
It would be nice if there provide a regeneration hearing surgery instead of CI. The experiement is not quite finished yet.

I would like more information about regeneration hearing surgery. Hope it is not like in Star Trek where a guy is taken by the Borgs and assimilated or becomes a Borg. Yikes! :lol: (just kidding)

Don't forget another disadvantage I gathered from some AD friends that those who have CI cannot have MRI. Is that correct?

Did someone who has CI say that he/she has frequent headaches since the implant? Also, some doctors want to perform MRI to see if they can find the cause of frequent or migraine headaches. These issues should be regarded as related issues, not separated. Some cases are separate issues.

Rick: My CI (Nucleus 24 Contour Advance) has a removeable magnet. I can have an MRI as long as it is at 1.5 Tesla (which is the standard power for most MRIs). However, I don't know if the same is true with CIs from Advanced Bionics or Med-El.

Hear Again who is proud to be an assimilated CIBorg. :)

Rickcares: You're welcome! :) Hear Again who is just as human as everyone else on AD. <grin>

Only five more days before we go back to the doctor and find out about the C scans that were done afew weeks ago. Hopefully we can find out if John can get an Implant and maybe even set up the surgery.

Another question. I was talking to someone afew weeks ago and she was telling me that they just came out with a newer CI. I can't remember what company she said made it it was "New" something, anyone know about the newer CI out and who it's by?

Is it the Freedom implant? That's been getting a LOT of hype lately!

I do have a ci myself.. i got it when i was 5 year old.. I realized it's not working on me.. ofc it's old verison but i found out it's lame wasted for me not using and can't replacement anything.. i would personally let the kid grow till 10 year old to have them think about it if they want to have ci or not.. instad put in younger and grow up and found out they are pissed off and didn't want to have ci in the first place.. but again it's all your decidson..

how does the insurance pay for bi-latriel implant?
Unless the person has absolutly positivitly no residual hearing, they should not get a free ride on a bilateral implant! If they want two, then they should have to pay higher price for the second one!

I have a friend of mine and they have same kind and have no problem ever since.

They been wearing it while they are alert and when go to shower or bed take it off while in shower or bed that is all.

Attachments

• snicketprea.jpg
    snicketprea.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 13
Ellie said:
Another question. I was talking to someone afew weeks ago and she was telling me that they just came out with a newer CI. I can't remember what company she said made it it was "New" something, anyone know about the newer CI out and who it's by?
i think i know what you're talking about.. the invisiable ones? that's not yet out on market yet.. just doing the testing...

i know there is 4 different brands.... but the 2 major ones in USA is
cochlear (nucleus)
Advanice bioaties (sp?)

2 other one isn't popular in USA
are
MED-EL

(one of them i forgot their brand.. its just new... however i think its not FDA approved yet)

the latest techology right now is
Nucleus Freedom implant.. that's the one i have now... some pro and cons with it... the thing i hate about it is.. that BTE is HUGE.. but i love it though... just hope sooner or later the BTE becomes small.

Back