What to do with stubborn students in ASL?

WHy did you change my quote to "initializing"??

Are you a total idiot?

Infantilize is the concept I was speaking of.
Changing posters' quotes? Oh, my! :nono:

I wonder if this is indicative of the whole student-taking-over-professor's-role issue? :hmm:

i have tried working with them for the past 3 courses of ASL ...
But you are just now doing something about it?

You know, I'm done reading this for a while, all I asked was whether or not I should go hard or easy on the talk that my proff ASKED me to do.
You asked for advice and you're getting it. Don't ask for advice if you really don't want it.

Your professor was wrong to ask you to do his job.

I never go on forums because people tend to not read the ending question, or they say I don't put enough detail into what I'm asking. When I do, I always get put too the blame, or called an idiot, for my computer automatically changes peoples spelling errors.
Changing words is not the same as changing spelling, especially in a quoted section.

If a friend asked you to help stand up to them would you? Thats what this professor is asking me to do to.
A professor has certainly attained the educational and professional level where he should know that what he's requesting you to do is totally unprofessional and possibly even unethical. He should have never put you in that position.

Whether or not you guys think I shouldn't do this, I am. All I wanted was supportive comment, too answer my question without bringing me down. Thanks a lot. Just wait till you have to put up with an Algonquin College ASL class, then you'd see why its annoying...
There you go. You didn't really want advice, you wanted support, even if you were wrong. Sorry. Affirmations don't always solve problems, even if they make you feel good.

You don't think the posters here have put up with problems like your classes and a lot worse, and survived?

He must not be very observant if he doesn't notice. I am deaf and have taken ASL with a Deaf instructor.

Nothing got past her.

It's pretty much infantilizing your teacher to think he needs your assistance, and if he actually does, the school needs a different teacher.
Just checking my computer's spell check and auto word filler. Your "infantilizing" didn't show as a spelling error, nor did it try to auto fill to any other word. Apparently some computers now have a creative editing feature that I'm not aware of.

He is one of the most observant people I know for Deaf professors. He just can't tell how loud the students are talking. I'm not influencing his decision into having him let me speak to them. I honest to god thought he was going to do that himself or get the coordinator into it or one of his higher up levels to do it.
I dunno, I just wish I was 100% Deaf so I won't have to put with rude interruptions in class, including in the assignments. I hate seeing students disrespecting the professors, and breaking a rule. What? I can't stand up for a professor I know out of school? Gee thanks.

well, Unfortnatey you are deaf, I know it is not easy, I understand. it is rough, I understand. they many have observing to skills clever to smart. They smart to to body language and visualized. I tell you. They many see visual your quality,
They high skills. They don't want to low quality on best. I advise to best to high quality. It best high quality.

funny-animal-gifs-animal-gifs-dishwasher-tetherball.gif

Hi everyone,
Just to update, I didn't speak, my friend spoke instead/signed. I guess I shouldn't write respsonses during a middle of an anxiety attack >.>
I've talked to a couple students outta the classroom, after the whole thing. Kinda blew up in her face, Les called them all children (she wanted to talk) I decided not to because of the advice you guys gave me to stay out. Just a short description of what happened : Apperently as soon as she called them out for talking rather loudly in class, one of the moms in class snapped back saying you guys talk too constantly over and over and over. We don't, we sign to each other in class maybe mouthing on or two words if we don't understand fingerspelling, but nothing comes outta it. She told me if I have a problem with them chattering and disrespecting the teacher then I should drop outta the program. What? For being a good student? I've had two people in my life tell me to leave activities that I love, one was GGC (girl guides of canada) and the other is ASL class. Because I stood up for myself and didn't let them win. There the type of people that if some one was to blame them for something (which we didn't everyone's fault not just hers) she'd get defensive and everything.
The class afterwards was actually a very good class for once , and challenging we did a memory game story and it was a blast.

One of the guys said he's gonna organize something to help improve the communication in class between the teacher and the students, because that's whats missing.

I apologize for the auto correcting thing, I'm studying French as well, and have my keyboard/spell checker set to French mode. So i do apologize.

To answer about the same Students and same teacher - I've had the same students since level 2. I had 4 students in my class that are the same since level 1. I never had this level 3 professor before. The talk is done, over with they know he's not happy now (he took over the talk after it blew up)

And, to frisky feline, that picture made me smile :) thank-you.

I do apologize to everyone for getting upset with the response. I will not do that again for future posts :)

And, to frisky feline, that picture made me smile :) thank-you.

:)

You are welcome. I thought the gif is humor to cheer everyone in this thread after everyone is under stressed for many many reasons. I m the one of those stressful moment. :) Glad things work out for you and students in the classroom.

Back