What To Do With A Cell Phone?

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got a cell phone today that's M4/T4 compatitable and I'm wondering what to call besides the family and friends? I'm thinking I could call the local weather station but I just want to listen to the report. I don't want to talk to anyone. I've tried it once and I think that I prefer the M4 mode to the T4 mode.

I hope to be able to call my parents tomorrow. I'm waiting for an answer from them so we can arrange a time to chat on the phone and that kind of thing. :hyper:

What to do with a cell phone?

Just punch in 10 random digits and you should hear a voice coming out of it within 30 seconds.

yep but I just want to call places to listen to and not just speak...

yep but I just want to call places to listen to and not just speak...

what about calling businesses and hear them say press this or press that and then when a live person comes up, hang up. :giggle:

That's all I can think of...other than the weather report..what about traffic report?

Thanks for the link and your suggestion, Boult. That's what I'm looking for

Deafskeptic:

Movie theatres! They have a long recording of movies that are playing and the times, so and so! :)

A cell phone! You're really charging ahead aren't you? :) I don't think I was confident enough to get my cell phone until about 8 months after activation but have loved it since.

Yes, getting people to practice on such as friends and family is the way to go. I assume you have a telecoil setting on your Med-El (I'm sure that's a stupid question).

Let us know how you get on. Were you ever able to use a phone before with hearing aids at any stage?

No. I haven't been able to use the phone with my hearing aid. I did try to call the pizza man for some pepperoni pizza 20 years ago but I haven't really tried again until just a month after my implanation and today. I'm impatient.. I know I won't be really good at using the phone for a while hence my interest in automated systems. I don't want to talk to total strangers just yet. :ugh3: :iough:

deafskeptic:

Don't fret over it yet....it is going to take some time! I was activated back in February and I am not quite using my cell phone yet (not with strangers that is)....

However, I do use it with my sons. The first time I tried it, I thought...my gosh, it sounded as if my son was in the same room as I was in! It was SO clear and loud that I got so excited! I could only get half and half of what was said though.

When the time comes, you will be able to hear on the phone! :)

deafskeptic,

I have a list of pre-recorded 800 numbers around here somewhere. Give me a day or two to find it and I'll post the information for you. :)

Congrats on your new cell phone! I have a Motorola Razr myself, and have already wondered how I've lived without one!!! It was especially handy yesterday, when I arrived in Boston after a cross-country train trip 2 hours later than scheduled - I was able to call my sweetheart and let him know about the new arrival time, as well as keep in touch with him on the 3-day trip.

Deaf,

I agree with Boult but I would recommend calling either the phone company AT&T or Cable Company Comcast. They have endless automated prompts and it you are just lucky enough, you just might end up talking with a real person after maybe 20 minutes of getting tired of listening to the prompts and want to test it out on a real person. If you are really lucky, you might even talk with someone who grew up speaking the English language or you can try the lottery. Odds are about the same though. haha.

As far as the T4 mode, you may want to try moving your phone around on your ear, You may find a place that it really picks up well. For me, I have to move the phone ear piece up and forward a little to get the best results. Only problem there is I occasionally knock the processor off my ear but the Coil stays stuck and I have to position the processor back on my ear which takes a few seconds. O'well. Hope it works for you.

Steve

My CI didn't come with a built in T-coil so I had to order a T-coil/mircophone/reg speech wire from Med-El. I found that clipping one end of the wire to the phone works really well. I'll have to tie a rubber band around the ear end of the landline phone and clip my wire to the rubber band right over the ear thing.

I will have to try out the AT&T automated system. I'd hate to call there via relay. :run: :eek: :lol:

Back