what to do in police or hospital situation?

aikifrodogrrl

Reaction score
Hi,

MOD - please move this post if it is in wrong place.

My hearing has finally gotten to the point that I am clueless when people talk too fast or if their voices are in the wrong range. I now drive and stuff. I have not been pulled over before. What should I do if I am? I am worried I would be unable to communicate with the police.

Also I have to go to hospitals (I have a tumor condition). What should I do if I end up in ER or something. Before my partner has been there, but what if she isnt?

Thanks for the help

BTW I get my new HA's on Monday :cheers:

Hi,

I was never really worried about those thing unless they do happen, like a couple of times I would get pulled over by the police and unable to understand what the police was saying to me, yes I did felt scared at first but then after I told the police I am Deaf, he just gave me a warning and let me go, I guess you could say, he didn't know how to communicate with a Deaf person <<< this is another example why I love being Deaf!! :aw: ...

If you end up into an ER, don't worry, just tell them you are Deaf and need an interpreter and they will be happy to work with you on this, I was never scared when I went to the ER alot of times since I have children now, and I am used to it and know what to do ....

I hope this helps ;)

^Angel^ said:
Hi,

I was never really worried about those thing unless they do happen, like a couple of times I would get pulled over by the police and unable to understand what the police was saying to me, yes I did felt scared at first but then after I told the police I am Deaf, he just gave me a warning and let me go, I guess you could say, he didn't know how to communicate with a Deaf person <<< this is another example why I love being Deaf!! :aw: ...

If you end up into an ER, don't worry, just tell them you are Deaf and need an interpreter and they will be happy to work with you on this, I was never scared when I went to the ER alot of times since I have children now, and I am used to it and know what to do ....

I hope this helps ;)

:cheers: HEAR! HEAR!! esp telling a cop that you are deaf or act like a dumb blonde! it worked for me most of the time :giggle: except for the last 3 friggin' tickets i got back in 1999 when i moved to rochyshit! :pissed:

^Angel^ said:
Hi,

That's true because few times when I pulled over by the police, as soon as they come to the window, I have to make up sign that I can't hear so he would understand what I am trying to say and most of times they let me go. But one time, police will make up their sign to tell me that they need check my driver license so I showed it to them and then they just let me go. Some polices can make up their signs. Some of them can't.

When I got pulled by the police around here... at the first sign they know I'm deaf, the went right on writing down telling me why I got pulled over and we'd write back and forth. They don't just let deaf go just because they were deaf. I got off with warnings twice, but my first time, I had my sister with me so she voiced for me and I didn't have any experience so I got T I C K E T E D! From that point on, I knew what to say, what do now heh :)

Back