What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Oh, I don't really enjoy lipreading people when their mouths are full of partially digested food. Big turn off.

I am really really having more problems with hearing people who think that since I speak, I can hear. Happened at the library again. Someone also told me that it was a waste of time for me to learn ASL since I already have a strong understanding of speech. What is their problem? This is outrageous. Can't they just let me be me?

I am really really having more problems with hearing people who think that since I speak, I can hear. Happened at the library again. Someone also told me that it was a waste of time for me to learn ASL since I already have a strong understanding of speech. What is their problem? This is outrageous. Can't they just let me be me?

I was just talking about this with my sister...the false assumption that if you can speak, you can hear and all the problems that generate. I'm totally empathetic with you!

Because those kinds think they can dictate how we should live our lives. They just cant understand what we have to put up with.

I've had people say that to me. It doesn't seem to occur to them that I have trouble understanding what THEY say to me.

Sigh. I was just chatting with some internet friends.

Pretty much feeling like shit now.

Reminds me of how I got one IM from some hearing guy who kept going on and on about how I didn't fit into society and I found out why he thinks I'm a a misfit in society - he read my profile which says that I'm deaf.

That was a good one, I love it "No not never mind, Repeat it". As if you were just ignoring them like you didn't care about what they had to say.

I'm embarrssed to say, being a hearie until I saw this website string I had not really thought about some of the stupid things we can do, just because we are not around deaf or HOH people. Knowing the conciderate things to do just unfortuneately sometimes don't accure to us. I'm learning so much. Hopefully I won't have to much to unlearn.

I have to admit meeting a deaf or HOH person to a hearie it kind of like meeting someone that speaks a different language, if you don't really know how to respond appropriately or effieciently you avoid the situation to make yourself feel better. We often feel because we don't know 99% of the time when we are even in the presence of a person that cannot speak. We have a lot to learn..... thanks for the lessons.

Yesterday, I talked with my neighbor then I asked for pen and paper. He said, Oh don't need to it. He understands my talk. :squint:

That if your'e deaf or HOH, that everyone who hears does not expect you to do well or to even 'fully comprehend' what society teaches.

Well, hearies, comprehend this:
1. Deaf vs. hearing overall are generally better spellers.
2. Deaf vs. hearing social and academic development is the same as so long as there is access to language whether it is signed or spoken and it can be utilized to express ones self.
3. A deaf person can excel in any subject area or career field just as well as a hearing person as so long as proper accommodations and access to 'sounds' just as a hearing person is. In fact, the deaf person could very well exceed a hearing person. *gasp!* Shocker!! (people don't realize there is a such thing as deaf nursing and deaf medical professionals - areas often thought to be 'off limits' to deaf persons).

I would like to see these barriers that the hearing have placed in front of us over centuries due to ignorance, the lack of understanding and true empathy, continually be broken down every time a deaf person attempts and succeeds at something previously not attempted before. (IE - I would love to see a deaf athlete in one of the big mainstream leagues such as NBA, NFL, PGA, NASCAR, MLB, MLS, NHL that becomes a prominent fixture, not because of their deafness alone, but because of their abilities to just plain excel at their sport). Think of it this way - if Yao Ming had to have an interpreter when he played for the Houston Rockets, what's the difference in having an interpreter for someone with ASL? Neither could understand the English language fully - one couldn't speak it, the other couldn't hear it. Both are just super-athletes in their sport and are wanted for their abilities to contribute to the team force on the floor.

Again, not just because Yao was Chinese, but because he had talent and abilities.
Well, the same should apply here, not just because a person is deaf, but because of their talents and abilities they are encouraged to succeed.

Often times, a hearing person will see that the deaf person has talent for something but they will turn around and tell them, "Well it's too bad you can't hear, but other wise you would excel at this." That's not deafness getting in the way, that's the hearing ignorance getting in the way.

Just my two cents, FWIW.

I'm amazed at how intrigueing it really is to realize some of the dissadavantages of hearing people when thinking about Deaf or HOH people.
When in the library studying you don't have to hear people talking around you, you don't hear wise crackes, when eating out you don't have to indure hearing people who smack on there food. I tell you God is good he blessed many of you with a gift that causes you to be more sensitive to life and to others.

I'm amazed at how intrigueing it really is to realize some of the dissadavantages of hearing people when thinking about Deaf or HOH people.
When in the library studying you don't have to hear people talking around you, you don't hear wise crackes, when eating out you don't have to indure hearing people who smack on there food. I tell you God is good he blessed many of you with a gift that causes you to be more sensitive to life and to others.

This is a deaf vent thread. Start your own thread about your amazement.

Again my major pet peeve.

This is also the biggest pet peeve of mine. A hearing person should never tell a deaf person how lucky he is for not being able to hear certain things.

This is also the biggest pet peeve of mine. A hearing person should never tell a deaf person how lucky he is for not being able to hear certain things.

I agree. :h5:

Rwig2 can take his/her foot out of the mouth now. :roll:

This is a 'read only' thread for hearies. I suggest this because too many hearies come on this thread and try to make amends or justify themselves, but end up putting their foot in their mouth and getting 'booted off' by the Wizard of AllDeaf. :giggle:

Back