What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

When hearies tell you flat out you're not Deaf/Hoh, with or without a "reason."

Conversation with daughter of deaf mother:

Daughter: My mother lost all of her hearing. She got a CI. blah, blah, blah...

Me: So, your mother does not identify as deaf?

Daughter: She has a CI and she's doing fine with it.

Problem "fixed." QED.

Wont look at you when you try to lip read.

definitaly talking so loud that every one looks up to see what is going on, even though they know the kids is totally deaf, or they talk louder to you, even though your hearing is FINE or they speak louder, even though the kids has hearing aids, and most of all... the finger snapping thing, o man it drives me nuts!!! shes not gonna hear that either, i mean come on, wheres the common sense in that?:roll:

I wouldn't call anyone a deafie or hearie until I new is that was cool with them or not. I'd rather just stick with hoh or deaf.

She is saying until she knew if the person is ok with her calling them deafie or hearie, she will use the term HOH or deaf.

Me, I will just stick with names and don't use hearie or deafie at all (I would just say, "she is deaf" not "she is a deafie"). People do have names unless I am refering them in a group (hearing people or hearies , deaf people or deafies, etc.)

She is saying until she knew if the person is ok with her calling them deafie or hearie, she will use the term HOH or deaf.

Me, I will just stick with names and don't use hearie or deafie at all (I would just say, "she is deaf" not "she is a deafie"). People do have names unless I am refering them in a group (hearing people or hearies , deaf people or deafies, etc.)

Thanks but I don't get it "until I new" thats what i put the bold in there. Maybe i did over anaylze the words. LOL. The reason is that this thread is about how hearie ticks you off that got me confused by her post unless "until I new" means something else. eh. Maybe it means nothing. like you said, she dislikes using the terms.

yeah, I think she is just saying how she would like to be treated.

Maybe.
But hearing people don't call deafie. Most hearing people tend to call, "hearing impaired, hearing loss or mute and dumb". deafies do call deafies. LOL.

If hearing people do call deafie all the time then i didn't know about it.

just wanted to point out she didn't say "I would rather stick with hearing, HOH, deaf" She didn't mention hearing, but I think I ought to leave it up to her to explain.

hearing people call us "deaf ears" or "hey deafie" as an insult. I had to put up with that in my middle school and high school.

just wanted to point out she didn't say "I would rather stick with hearing, HOH, deaf" She didn't mention hearing, but I think I ought to leave it up to her to explain.

i agree. :D

hearing people call us "deaf ears" or "hey deafie" as an insult. I had to put up with that in my middle school and high school.

Oh that definitely ticks you off. Im sorry. I wouldnt be surprised if anyone called me names that i don't hear and never knew about it. :shrug:

I wouldn't hear them either. But they were so mean that they made sure I heard them alright. and then laugh about it.

for me, currently, when hearies agree to give me accomodations in school and then forget so that i have to go up and ask, and they are like, 'ill do it later'.. well. thanks but w/o it I CANT PARTICIPATE NOW.
can you tell ive been having a rough week????
*EQL*

Yes I'm just saying I'd be careful what I call people and I myself don't care for the ie ing of things. My grandma use to call me Annie and I hated it. It all depends on what the person likes.

You know what, I've got a lot to learn,but I'm currently legally deaf and have been going through my life with hearing loss. I don't know all my terms and stuff, nor have I been around Deaf (born deaf) deaf ( not born deaf) people.

I hate when people try to talk to me while driving. I can't look at you and drive. Even worse is when they are driving and I am in the back seat...I just sit back and smile:P

I hate when people try to talk to me while driving. I can't look at you and drive. Even worse is when they are driving and I am in the back seat...I just sit back and smile:P

Never nod yes though. I have ended up places I didn't want to be by nodding yes:lol:

Back