What this hand sign means?

Sepand

Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone knows what sign the man depicted in the attached picture, shows with his left hand? Or maybe what that means?

Thanx,
Sepand.

Attachments

• Hierophant.jpg
    Hierophant.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 67
hmm i dun think it really means anything, i think its just a part of the picture..

This is a Tarot card picture, yeah? (Educated guessing)

Um, it could be symbolic of what that card means - Hierophant is symbolic in tarot of learning and belief systems, so maybe it's meant to look like it could be religious symbolisim? Or maybe it was drawn by someone from another culture where that means something significant? Do you know the origin of the image or who the artist was? This could help know where to look to know what influenced them in choosing the hand position. Not all sign looking hand shapes are sign language, if you understand what I mean. Or could be a sign from any other sign language around the world. Could be a pagan groups ritual sign or symbol maybe? I know that that shape Mr Spock did in Star Trek is from Jewish ritual (Leonard Nimoy that actor is Jewish) and he used it for vulcan symbol in that show. So maybe this artist did something similar and borrowed it from a religious or spiritual group, rather than a sign language. I don't know which country artist is from to know to look up if it is actually sign language from that country or not, but if you can lean the history of the image then maybe you could try to look in that culture or their sign language for clues? Also try looking up other pictures of Hierophant and explinations of the image. Some might give useful details - try to google it!

HTH. :fingersx:

Oh, ETA: Let us know how you get on... I am curious now! I would like to know what you find. Thanks.

Dear HoneyShot,
Yes, that is a Tarot card!
This card's symbolism shows Aleister Crowley's ideas which is painted by Lady Harris. (Both English). But these tarot decks (which is called Thoth Tarot) show symbolic figures from mostly Egyptian beliefs and sometimes Hindu and even Persian and are hired to describe specificly the relations in Qabalah (which is today known mostly in corelation with Jews. But it's origins is older than Jewish prophets.)
I am Iranian and the "Holy" man showed in the pictures resembles a lot to a ancient Persian "Magi". Or even old Persian Kings like "Cyrus the Great".
I have studied a lot about this card and could not find the meaning of that sign of hand.

Wow sepand, that is great background information! I'm going to try to see if I can find anything, using that to help. I'm really interested.

Let me know if you find anything else, and I will also post back if I find anything helpful. :)

What is your interest in this particular card? It is a fascinating image. :)

Thanx for your concern.
This card is a part of my studying on Tarot and Qabalah - The science of organizing the universe.

Back