What The...

AquaBlue

Reaction score
I was at the book shop yesterday and I saw a deaf lady frustrated in trying to communicate with a hearing clerk. So I walked over to see if I could facilitate the transaction in some way. Then, before she turned to walk away, she turned her head back to me and gave me an ugly look-over. WTF? That sucked.

Can anyone say, menstrual cycle?

I don't know how good your ASL was. It looks like you did not get the chance to use your ASL in that situation.

Also, many deaf people regardless of gender are not interested in getting help from public. It is not your fault.

You may have clicked if you started conversation in ASL. For all I know, she may have looked at you as just another person gawking at those communication difficulty.

Was this an older person or a younger person? That may be a telling tale of how she blew you off.

I was at the book shop yesterday and I saw a deaf lady frustrated in trying to communicate with a hearing clerk. So I walked over to see if I could facilitate the transaction in some way. Then, before she turned to walk away, she turned her head back to me and gave me an ugly look-over. WTF? That sucked.

Can anyone say, menstrual cycle?

Can you say pushy scary person up in her face?

derek has good points. THis person could have been furious already when you approached her which wasn't a good timing. eh.

Who is to say she was on her menstrual cycle? That's demeaning to women. It may have nothing to do with it.

It's happened to me before too....some defies "resent" any type of help....(not all)....Feel it's their English and expecting hearies to understand ASL....frustration could be the problem also.

It's true-- us deaf people have pride, and then some.

Last edited:
Back