What the???

:shock:

Baseball is a sport where hearing the coach is completely unnecessary, more than most sports, IMO. You see the ball, you hit the ball. You throw the ball, you catch the ball. The baserunning, pitching, and batting are all coached by various hand and body signs. I don't recall any vocal coaching. How can they expect someone 300 feet away to hear them?

(sarcasm) But don't you know? That's what an FM device is for! It's important to hear 100% There's no other way to compensate (/sarcasm)

I would love to share what my thoughts about Deaf, Hearing and in between people. I can understand why his reaction been like that.

I tried to talk with some people who are "in between" trying to understand what WE (Deafies, not deafies) were missing from? I am not saying who is right and who is wrong. Really, no body is right, nobody is wrong period.

I can see why hearing people made so much deal with hearing issues than anything else. It was not their intention to be like that. However, Deafies were very upset that Hearing people were ignorant. I can understand why they felt that way and like I said in the beginning that no one is right, no one is wrong.

What I just said were based on my life experience and what I have been though. I have seen almost ALL "walks of life" and I see the root of the problem. It is just a sense itself that is the problem.

I have observed born blind people,
I have observed how specific animals pick and used one of these senses.
I have worked in Relay industry and have met thousands of faces for more than 5 years. This helped me understand whats the problem between H and D
I have heard a story of born Blind who finally had eye implant and were able to see again and over-reacted and wanted to go back to blind again, his response to why really hits my understand of whats between Hearing and Deaf people were, and it is just sense itself.
I have met and chatted with a person with specific disability that I find difficult to understand his disability, that got my thoughts in the same way how Hearing people are trying to understand Deafness. (I wish I can share what is this specific disability but, because there are very limited number of people having that specific disability and I don't want anyone to figure out who... Privacy is respected)

To make it short, Hearing people were born and learn how to use sounds first as I believed and picked it up and use it much more than any other senses, resulting they find verbal to be the best method of communication and map their own environment than visual. We the Deafies don't have that opportunity so we will NEVER know what it is.

Just like dogs, when they born, first 2 weeks can they really see anything? We all know FOR sure, no, they were blind to begin with. They use their nose, sniffing sniffing to learn their environment and to locate the food. They use nose more than anything else, the result? Rest of their life, they sniffing all the times, like in rear to identify other dogs, We don't do that, thank God!

I believe that the sounds were very similiar as visual like various color, brightness, contrast and whatever the sounds is like. We, the Deafies "sees" is like maybe only three different "Images" as a sounds and can not see any more than that. How can Deafies be able to understand arrays of the sounds where they don't see much? Even after years of training, how can that help? This is the reason why Hearing people NEEDS to adapt with our (Deafies) losses, but the problem is Majority of Hearing people don't understand the issues we are having.

Again, it is all about sense really.

I would love to chat with people, preferred 100% CODA with excellent understand of Hearing people and the world of sounds. I tried to find right CODA to chat with and try to learn about Hearing and try to get the idea of the world of the sounds. If your one of them can start off though PM and maybe Videoconferencing.

Enuff talk, but that is what have been on my mind in the last 5 years. Again remind that there is no "Right or wrong" in this case, and it is only about sense. So, I don't want to offend anyone nor drama. Drama over this post is not going to be tolerated, thanks.

I just couldn't believe in this day and age with so much information about what deaf people have accomplished, the boy`s parents allowed him to have the mentality of "can't" unless he got a CI. That kind of mentality is very harmful to deaf people especially children. `Nuff said.

Right. what I am saying is that if a person are not used to a sense that they have known of for years then all sudden that person were forced to learn how to use available sense and couldn't figure out how to use it efficiently.

I'm trying to think of an example, a person who used PC for 30 years, all sudden PC went out of business and MAC survived, that person would have to force to learn how to use MAC. They can't learn how to use MAC overnight, EVEN though they have seen MAC but not using it.

I know it is bad example but the concept behind is what I am trying to explain.

EDIT: Oh wait! Now I get it, force them to get CI? Hmmm I can see why but wow. Getting CI, to me isn't going to be 100% answer to the problem. More like half of the problem.

I just couldn't believe in this day and age with so much information about what deaf people have accomplished, the boy`s parents allowed him to have the mentality of "can't" unless he got a CI. That kind of mentality is very harmful to deaf people especially children. `Nuff said.

Ugh- I keep coming back to this post and keep telling myself "really shouldn't post anything" but guess I'll go ahead and add my two cents.

Honestly, this article pulls me in two ways.

My first feeling is definitely irritation because it appears that this boy (now man) grew up without a lot of support/understanding for (or education about) his deafness and that led to his feelings of wanting to be able to hear because he wanted to fit in. The part about him having to quit sports really irritated me because as other posters have noted: deaf can easily play sports (might need a few accommodations but most of the time not really). Out of interest, I looked up "deaf baseball players" and found this link (warning- quite a few of the "old time" players had nicknames of "dummy" which I don't agree with, but we have to remember that it was an accepted term during those time periods): Deaf Baseball Players Who Made the Major Leagues - InfoBarrel (not exactly sure how to add a link, but you can copy and paste into your browser if it doesn't automatically link it).
It turns out, William Hoy is actually credited with coming up with the hand signals used in baseball (although it is believed that Edward Dundon, another deaf player, might have actually been the first to use these signals, even though Hoy is credited with their creation). I think a lack of education on the part of the people in his life led to them feeling like he needed to be hearing in order to lead a full life.

I also don't really like how the articles are worded because they DO give the feeling that there is something wrong with deafness (or hearing loss) and that people that are dealing with it just can't function or be happy to the fullest extent possible. We know that is not true- there are many deaf people who lead very happy and fulfilling lives (and "success" or "fulfillment" is really in the eye of the beholder- they might feel successful or fulfilled while society sees it different, but the person who is living the life is the one whose opinion matters).

The second way I am pulled by this article is this:

I am proud in some ways for what this boy is doing. He sees a need (some families can't afford CIs) and wants to help and make a difference in those people's lives- so he is doing something to raise money to help them. I know CIs are a very controversial subject still and I understand why. Personally, for my own child, if her hearing loss was profound enough that the doctors were recommending CIs, I would not get it for her. There are too many reasons to list here (and if she were to become an adult and want one, I WOULD support her in that decision but I do not feel that is my decision to make for her) but I think it is important to understand my stance so you see that I am not "pro" CI. But, on the other side of that- I am not necessarily "anti" CI either. While I don't feel it is right for my child or my family for many reasons, that is not to say that it is not right (or the best option) for someone else's family. I believe that people should be FULLY informed and educated about BOTH sides of the issues before making such a big decision (and I know that people probably are not a lot of times because of SO many reasons) but I do support people's rights to make that decision for their family. And if someone decides it is right for them, but they don't have the means to afford it, I am glad there is someone like this boy who is willing to help out- the best way he knows how.

I guess I look at things this way:
People deal with things differently- for different reasons. Some people see a situation and have the resolve to work through it and make the best of it and learn to adapt to it. Some people see a situation and don't know HOW to cope with it- so they try to fix it. In the case of deafness/hearing loss- some people hear the diagnosis and it doesn't really phase them, they know they will be ok because they are strong and they know that differences are not a bad thing, they make us who we are. Other people, though, hear the diagnosis and all they can see are the differences, the "losses", and it is hard for them to see how things will be better without their hearing- they want to be like the "rest" of the world, they want to hear again. For children, sometimes, these differences are even more visible. Gosh, I don't really know where I am going with this thought now- I guess I just want people to see that there are two sides to every story, sometimes there are people that just can't HANDLE being different from the "norm". For people like this, maybe a CI is the best option. Because in the end it's about quality of life, and the only person who can decide the true quality of their life is the person living that life... I really hope that makes sense and if not, please ask for clarification. I don't want to step on any toes or make anyone feel like I am saying something I'm not. My daughter is deaf and I am proud of her and I have big dreams for her and I wouldn't change her for the world! But I can see how, for some people, the differences between hearing and not hearing are just too great for them to cope with and it is easier to stick with what they know (which in the case of most families is the "hearing world"). I know it might feel like people are rejecting deafness, saying it is wrong or "abnormal" or what have you, but sometimes it is just a matter of comfort/familiarity and not being able to accept change. Maybe that explains things a little better. And I am getting rambly so I will shut up now. I hope I didn't offend anyone because that is not my intentions at all :).

Shel, if I may respond to this. To be honest, as a hearing person, in some areas there STILL is not a lot of information or understanding about "deafness". I am a "learner" by nature, if I don't know something and I feel I need to know it or I want to know it, I seek it out. The internet is a GREAT tool and I use it :). I ask people questions. I seek out the information, whatever way I can. Some people, though, are not "learners" or "seekers"- they take the information that is available to them at the moment and they believe that this is all there is to know or they feel this is all they need to learn ("if the information doesn't come to me, then I must not need it" kind of thinking on their part). I also think I am a bit more "educated" about "deafness" than the average hearing person because of the work I do (basically social work field- so we have trainings we have to attend on accommodating people and cultural awareness). Most hearing people I know really DON'T know anything about deafness- people in my life are learning about it now because they are interested because it is affecting my life (the life of someone they know- so it is more real), they ask about my daughter's appointments and what we are learning and I educate them when I explain things (I don't just say "she has this type of loss"- I explain what that means and how things work). But in reality- unless a hearing person has needed to learn about "deafness" (whether because of work or people in their lives), most hearing people really don't know much about it and many people are not "learners" or "seekers" so they will not look for that information to make a truly informed decision.

Hope that makes sense...

Shel, if I may respond to this. To be honest, as a hearing person, in some areas there STILL is not a lot of information or understanding about "deafness". I am a "learner" by nature, if I don't know something and I feel I need to know it or I want to know it, I seek it out. The internet is a GREAT tool and I use it :). I ask people questions. I seek out the information, whatever way I can. Some people, though, are not "learners" or "seekers"- they take the information that is available to them at the moment and they believe that this is all there is to know or they feel this is all they need to learn ("if the information doesn't come to me, then I must not need it" kind of thinking on their part). I also think I am a bit more "educated" about "deafness" than the average hearing person because of the work I do (basically social work field- so we have trainings we have to attend on accommodating people and cultural awareness). Most hearing people I know really DON'T know anything about deafness- people in my life are learning about it now because they are interested because it is affecting my life (the life of someone they know- so it is more real), they ask about my daughter's appointments and what we are learning and I educate them when I explain things (I don't just say "she has this type of loss"- I explain what that means and how things work). But in reality- unless a hearing person has needed to learn about "deafness" (whether because of work or people in their lives), most hearing people really don't know much about it and many people are not "learners" or "seekers" so they will not look for that information to make a truly informed decision.

Hope that makes sense...

That's understandable for general hearing people but not understandable if the hearing people have a deaf child. They should have educated themselves on what deaf people have accomplished instead of allowing their son grow up with that mentality and looking at CIs as the only answer.

That's understandable for general hearing people but not understandable if the hearing people have a deaf child. They should have educated themselves on what deaf people have accomplished instead of allowing their son grow up with that mentality and looking at CIs as the only answer.

I totally agree... But the truth of the matter for a lot of people is that they just DON'T do that. They believe what the doctors tell them, they figure "this person has a degree in this so they must know more than me" and they leave it at that. And doctors are "fixers" I think- they do things because they want to fix what they see as a problem or impairment. And if you are missing one of your senses, that is definitely seen as an impairment- they want to make you "whole". (No, I don't mean to speak for ALL doctors but I think by virtue of the job a lot of people that become doctors do it because they want to help people be "whole"- healthy and well and "normal". Doctors are "fixers".) I do want you to know that I TOTALLY understand your point and I feel the same way. If your child or someone you love has a "disability" or ailment or whatever that is "out of the norm" and you don't know anything about it, then you RESEARCH and you SEARCH for the information so you can make the best and most informed decision for their well-being that you possibly can. But most people just really don't do that...

I totally agree... But the truth of the matter for a lot of people is that they just DON'T do that. They believe what the doctors tell them, they figure "this person has a degree in this so they must know more than me" and they leave it at that. And doctors are "fixers" I think- they do things because they want to fix what they see as a problem or impairment. And if you are missing one of your senses, that is definitely seen as an impairment- they want to make you "whole". (No, I don't mean to speak for ALL doctors but I think by virtue of the job a lot of people that become doctors do it because they want to help people be "whole"- healthy and well and "normal". Doctors are "fixers".) I do want you to know that I TOTALLY understand your point and I feel the same way. If your child or someone you love has a "disability" or ailment or whatever that is "out of the norm" and you don't know anything about it, then you RESEARCH and you SEARCH for the information so you can make the best and most informed decision for their well-being that you possibly can. But most people just really don't do that...

It's true.. doctors want what they think is best for you. That may be different from what you think is best for yourself.

The link shel provided does sound like an Ad for promoting CI.

What it doesnt say is why he became angry growing upwhen trying to play sports. He must be in a mainstream school with mean kids picking on him or appears to give him a hard time in sports.

I played sports for 4 years in high school in a hearing school. The kids I had were either tolerant of me or weak in being a bully/picking on me because I was deaf. I turned out just fine and did great in sports.

I guess I look at things this way:
People deal with things differently- for different reasons. Some people see a situation and have the resolve to work through it and make the best of it and learn to adapt to it. Some people see a situation and don't know HOW to cope with it- so they try to fix it. In the case of deafness/hearing loss- some people hear the diagnosis and it doesn't really phase them, they know they will be ok because they are strong and they know that differences are not a bad thing, they make us who we are. Other people, though, hear the diagnosis and all they can see are the differences, the "losses", and it is hard for them to see how things will be better without their hearing- they want to be like the "rest" of the world, they want to hear again. For children, sometimes, these differences are even more visible. Gosh, I don't really know where I am going with this thought now- I guess I just want people to see that there are two sides to every story, sometimes there are people that just can't HANDLE being different from the "norm". For people like this, maybe a CI is the best option. Because in the end it's about quality of life, and the only person who can decide the true quality of their life is the person living that life... I really hope that makes sense and if not, please ask for clarification. I don't want to step on any toes or make anyone feel like I am saying something I'm not. My daughter is deaf and I am proud of her and I have big dreams for her and I wouldn't change her for the world! But I can see how, for some people, the differences between hearing and not hearing are just too great for them to cope with and it is easier to stick with what they know (which in the case of most families is the "hearing world"). I know it might feel like people are rejecting deafness, saying it is wrong or "abnormal" or what have you, but sometimes it is just a matter of comfort/familiarity and not being able to accept change. Maybe that explains things a little better. And I am getting rambly so I will shut up now. I hope I didn't offend anyone because that is not my intentions at all :).
There's more than two sides. I'm not in either of the two sides you mentioned. I am and was comfortable with my Deafness. I embraced Deaf culture and ASL as an adult, and used speech reading to communicate with the hearing. I wasn't scared and I coped just fine. I chose to get a CI because I was raised in a hearing world, with no Deaf culture, no ASL, etc, by my biological parents. Now, as an adult, I have chosen to be Deaf instead of deaf. However, having been in the hearing world for 24 years, I couldn't just cut myself off from it. I went back and forth for a long time before deciding to get a CI. Why? Simple; I wanted to be able to communicate with my family when it was more than one-on-one. Most of my family is out of state, so when were together, it's way more than one-on-one, and despite everyone trying their best, I get left out and withdrawal. I got a CI to connect with my adoptive, hearing family. They're still learning ASL, meeting me in the middle. There's a lot of gray when you're on the inside, instead of on the outside looking in.

Really, Doctors don't know anything about deafness and Deaf Culture. They did not learn that in the medical school. Geeze. They only learn how to become doctors to fix them. Dang!!!!! Like an automobile factory or garage just to fix cars. Doctors are weird. **sigh**

There's more than two sides.
:ty: for the feedback. I didn't really mean to present the idea that there are ONLY two sides to the situation (but I guess I did). I guess I was just trying to show how there are at least two sides to the story, and the sides I was trying to show would be what I consider to be the black and white sides of things- life is definitely full of all shades of grey :). I appreciate you sharing your side of things and your views on it.

There's more than two sides.
:ty: for the feedback. I didn't really mean to present the idea that there are ONLY two sides to the situation (but I guess I did). I guess I was just trying to show how there are at least two sides to the story, and the sides I was trying to show would be what I consider to be the black and white sides of things- life is definitely full of all shades of grey :). I appreciate you sharing your side of things and your views on it.

I figured you didn't mean to, but needed to point it out for other readers!

Agreed.....there are a lot of shades of gray. I think if CIs were advertised more as " you can have PARTIAL access to the hearing world" rather then "OMG hearing world hearing world!" I'd be a little more comfortable with them. I think CIs can rock and be appropriate in the right circumstances....But I can't help but remember the parent of a HOH with aids kid who got him implanted b/c he couldn't hear well in noisy situtions?!?!!
(and yes, he was oral, why do you ask?) Most HOH kids have issues with hearing in noisy situtions, even unilateral HOH kids!

But CIs will never ever be able to fully access the hearing world for a HOH kid.
They are HOH......NOT hearing. Wish people understood that. I think that's what it boils down to........thinking that HOH=more hearing then deaf....

Back