What should I know about hearing aids?

I think you have to experiment. Some people like analogs, some people like digitals.

Generally people with conductive hearing loss like analogue better because with conductive hearing loss there is no or very little recruitment or distortion. So aloud noise can be amplified as much as a soft noise (which is how analogue aids work) without causing distortion or pain.

FM systems are absolutely vital.
See this video YouTube

Hearing aids are very "dumb" they amplify ALL sounds within a certain distance. That includes people whispering, papers russeling, a loved one talking, and any other noise.
With an FM the target sound is heard and the other sounds are eliminated, making it much easier to focus on and understand the target sound. Hearing aids can be programmed to give various amounts of ambient sound in addition to the target sound so that the user can hear their voice and the voices or people around them.

Generally people with conductive hearing loss like analogue better because with conductive hearing loss there is no or very little recruitment or distortion. So aloud noise can be amplified as much as a soft noise (which is how analogue aids work) without causing distortion or pain.

FM systems are absolutely vital.
See this video YouTube

Hearing aids are very "dumb" they amplify ALL sounds within a certain distance. That includes people whispering, papers russeling, a loved one talking, and any other noise.
With an FM the target sound is heard and the other sounds are eliminated, making it much easier to focus on and understand the target sound. Hearing aids can be programmed to give various amounts of ambient sound in addition to the target sound so that the user can hear their voice and the voices or people around them.

That interesting to know and no I've never been told. I get more distortion in my right ear even tho its my better ear as I have about 15db worth of conductive loss in my left ear :)

Back