What should I ask for on my first visit?

satman858

Reaction score
I will be going for a hearing exam on Weds. in which I am planning on buying a Sharkey Zon.5 digital hearing aid. What items, test results, ect.... do I have the right to I ask them to make copies of to keep for my own records?

yes you are allowed to keep copies. It's important because then if you ever decide to switch audiologists, it's nice to have copies on hand, and you can learn to read audiogram and compare yourself.

A good audiologist will give you a copy of everything actually. :)

Did your audiologist explain what to expect on the first day of wearing your hearing aids? Ask them.

Since I don't know your history, I'm making a general statement. Most of the time people who haven't wore hearing aids for a while, it will sound very loud, and probably to the point where it feels like it's vibrating in your ear. That's normal. I get that when I don't wear my hearing aids for more than 2 or 3 weeks...it's worse if I don't wear it for a month or two. The reason is that your nerve cells are "woken up".

You should ask how often to change earmolds, how often should I get a hearing test, when is the next appointment for audiogram with the hearing aid. On first day, it will be loud, but after you get used to it, it will sound normal...however the audiogram will be different.

How often should you go tweak your programming (since you're getting digitals).
It's been a while since I went to my audiologist for hearing aids test (3 years), so others may give you better input.
Good Luck

yes you are allowed to keep copies. It's important because then if you ever decide to switch audiologists, it's nice to have copies on hand, and you can learn to read audiogram and compare yourself.

Did your audiologist explain what to expect on the first day of wearing your hearing aids? Ask them.

Since I don't know your history, I'm making a general statement. Most of the time people who haven't wore hearing aids for a while, it will sound very loud, and probably to the point where it feels like it's vibrating in your ear. That's normal. I get that when I don't wear my hearing aids for more than 2 or 3 weeks...it's worse if I don't wear it for a month or two. The reason is that your nerve cells are "woken up".

You should ask how often to change earmolds, how often should I get a hearing test, when is the next appointment for audiogram with the hearing aid. On first day, it will be loud, but after you get used to it, it will sound normal...however the audiogram will be different.

It's been a while since I went to my audiologist for hearing aids test (3 years), so others may give you better input.
Good Luck

LadySekhmet,

Thank you so much for your reply and helpful info.

Yep, you're allowed to keep copies. It's about you... so you should have a right. :)

Yep, you're allowed to keep copies. It's about you... so you should have a right. :)

VamPyroX,

What items besides the audiogram should I ask them to make me copies of ?

I want to have everything I need should I need to see another audiologist in the future.

Pretty much copies of the audiogram. That's probably the most important thing. Before and after audiogram (before HA's and After HA's) so there's comparisons.

Good Luck

She said it perfectly

Thanks everyone.

I am going at 1:30pm cst tomorrow. I will post how everything went late tomorrow night.

Back