What role does music play in your life?

MikeG

Reaction score
Hi there,
I won't bore you with a long introduction.
My name is Michael Groves, and i am a music student in Brighton,
For my 2nd year Research i have decided to look at the role of music in a deaf persons life, and attempt to understand the perception of music for deaf people.
There is no specific's, i only wish to learn of the different experiences of different people, with different level's of hearing, and how important music is/can be in their life.
My inspiration for this project is largely thanks to Evelyn Glennie, an incredibly talented deaf percussionist.

If you would be so kind to share with me your experience with music and the role it plays in your life, whether it be a single sentence or several paragraphs, i would be incredibly grateful.

you may email me privately if you wish to: m-groves@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you

Michael Groves.

The loud sound that I can feel is the VROOM of a turbo engine. I'm deaf and don't need music. Sound from turbo engine is cool!!!

I logged on this to see if any other hard of hearing people enkoy music like i do.
Music is like therapy to me. I swear, i would go mental without t. You switch off your hearing aids, put in your earphones, and you can hear nothing but beautiful sounds. It's just so refreshing, I'm so grateful that although i'm hard of hearing, i hear music through earphones without hearing aids.
It's heavan. I would die without music!:)

Hi Derek & Hannah, thanks for your responses!

Derek, that's fascinating, is it a soothing feeling? The sound of the Engine.

Hannah, Do you mind me asking how much of your hearing have you lost?
And do you know if the way you hear the music in your headphones is the same as the way your friends and family hear the music?
What are you favorite things to listen to?
and I'm glad that Music is such an important part of your life!

Because there is so many functions to music- symphonic, movies, dance, popular songs etc
hard to give a "brief description" which can be justified.
As for the DEAF-depends when one became DEAF: birth VS late deafened. Able to use a Cochlear Implant VS not being "suitable" VS prefers to remain "silent".
Not exactly a simple declaration re the DEAF and music. Not every DEAF person can "feel" music like a select few eg Evelyn Glennie.
Aside: I have tested the theory of being able to " feel music by putting my hand on a loud speaker playing music"-vibrations only! I don't identify as music. Real easy: just disconnect my Cochlear implant.
One DEAF person's experience since becoming bilateral DEAF-December 20, 2006.

To me music is sacred. I memorize every single note of every single song I feel I could not bare to not hear again. I want to learn how to play the piano. I wonder if I can.

Music.. my former love. I love jazz. The syncopated swing just feels wonderful.

I was a music education major in college. I played several instruments, mainly the saxophone. Life events got me away from it and I'm afraid I no longer hear well enough to get back into it.

I still could not live without it. The thing about instrumental music for me is that I don't have to ignore the music to hear the lyrics. I've never been able to understand lyrics. I hear them as pitches and rhythms.

I have conductive hearing loss in my right ear, profound in the lower to lower midrange and severe in the upper midrange to upper range. Sensoneural in my left ear.. moderate and reverse slope (same direction as my right ear) (likely caused by lack of ear protection in 20 years of playing in bands).

I always wear full earmuff headphones when I listen to music. It boosts what I can't hear in my left ear and gives me a tiny bit in my right ear. I should probably not listen so loud if I want to salvage what hearing I have left though.

Music is very important to me. I used to play the piano and learned while I was HOH. Now I am deaf and don't play as much. I can no longer hear music, but I have all the music stored in my head from all my years of some hearing.

I'm a Deaf composer-have my own band, protools, a piano among other things. I'm currently revamping my "sound" and writing new songs and getting rid of the old crap.
If you want to hear I'll be more than happy to share once I complete them.
If you like nine inch nails-you'd like this :)

Music is important to me. Played bands in middle school and high school, and even competed in a marching band competition. I've been playing the piano since I was 7 years old and play ragtime and early jazz pieces. I have my own Ragtime Piano! blogsite with a few of my videos on there of me playing ragtime.

Music... used to be my best friend. I used to play a lot of different instruments, mainly the alto saxophone, clarinet, piano, guitar, and etc. That was when I was HOH. I was in concert, marching, and jazz bands. I used music as an escape. I used to write and arrange musical pieces, but I don't anymore.

Now, I am deaf. (Around a mod. severe/severe loss in one ear, and a severe-to-profound loss in the other ear, as of my last audiogram a few weeks ago.) I kind of have a weird relationship with music right now. I'm not sure where I stand. I got my clarinet out today, and I was playing a few songs. What I could hear of the clarinet was not what I used to be able to hear. It wasn't the same. But I was surprised that I could hear it somewhat - though I had to play very loudly and concentrate hard. My alto sax is in the attic, so I would have to root around to find it. I haven't tried the piano yet. I can play guitar, but I cannot hear it. (Acoustic guitar, btw.) I don't enjoy playing the guitar anymore. Clarinet, I kind of do, but it's not the same. Alto sax I might enjoy, same with piano. I don't know. I'll have to try them again and see for myself.

What is my relationship with music? I don't know. I tend to go through phases. Sometimes I like it, other times I hate it and want nothing to do with it. Can't exactly say that I LOVE it, or that I live for it anymore. I have other things to live for. It's just a nice little background thing in my life, I suppose. I play and enjoy music sometimes, and other times I run in the other direction.

Music is something I can use to get away from everything that's going on in my life and also doesn't remind me that I'm HOH and wear hearing aids.

I'm 19 and HOH. I also use hearing aids in both ears.

Music is basically a getaway for me. I love to listen to anything that has deep bass, because I can feel it in my headphones, even though it can be loud to other people, and occasionally I have to turn it down, but other than that, it's cranked up like no other! (Sometimes I have like 3 backup headphones in case one blows out.. ) :)

I'm HOH since early childhood and when I was younger I played the piano and guitar. I think most people who can experience music say that it is important to them. My learning instruments was a way for me to better understand and appreciate it (though it was a ton of hard work and I don't know that I was ever that good). I still really enjoy music, but mostly when I'm wearing headphones that I can turn way up. I like to sing along, but I only do this when I don't have to subject some poor hearing victim to it. :)

I'm hard of hearing. Because of that I prefer music that is not english. I enjoy that much more, the lyrics, which I have trouble understanding in english, become part of the music when I hear them in another language.

I'm Hard of Hearing (Severe going fully Deaf) and I've never really gotten into a lot of music while growing up. I always got the why teach the person who can't hear excuse. That being said, I do enjoy music, especially those in a different language with deep bass. Opera would have to be my favorite and most relaxing.

Music has kinda played a large role though in my life, because even though I can't hear everything, God has blessed me with a fiancee who is a parish music major. No clue why He put the guy who can't hear and the girl who's job it is to hear together, but we may it work out somehow. She always finds it interesting to see what I can hear and what I can't hear as she plays.

I had the advantage of growing up in a very musical house. Father played flute and 6-string classical guitar, mother sang and played cello and piano, oldest brother played 6-string and 12-string acoustic guitar and bass as well as electric guitar, piano, and flute, other brother played trumpet and drums. In the house there was rock, jazz, R & B, classical, country, pop, Christian, blues, folk songs, and I'm not sure what all else. Now, not much music. Father died in 1991, mother has dementia, oldest brother had an accident at work and can't handle the frets on the guitar anymore, and other brother gave up all music. I still play piano when I can.

I sing and enjoy music I play really loud and put aids in and I'm connected to music put my hands on the and enjoy.

Thank you very much for your responses everyone!
I have enjoyed reading all of your own personal experiences with music and the relationship you have with it.
I am handing in my Research Project tomorrow evening, and i have to say that it has been quite an experience for me, i have learned a great deal and i would like to thank you all for your part in that.

Thank you very much
Take care,
Michael Groves x

Back