What makes you unique?

ohmylight

Reaction score
Because we have one similar and heavily stereotyped label, I thought it might be cool to know what makes you unique? Support the idea that were all very different... We all have different experiences and lives, something which I feel sometimes gets overlooked when we become "subjects" for ASL 101 every semester.

People with similar interests might find one another and be able to have conversations about their interests as private messages or Skype calls... Instead of being labeled as a Signing Deaf or ASL student this might be a productive way to find the ying to your yang or the bread to your butter :) talk about your interest, not about general vocabulary and see everyone on this website as human, not as something to be studied!

Deaf, HOH, & Hearing are all welcome to contribute something about themselves!

Starting:

I'm a distance runner and a horrible but enthusiastic yogi.
I grew up overseas and moved often.
I'm a bookworm and I love poetry and indie films. My favorite books are nonfiction.
I'm a photographer and I run my own business.
I have 2 dogs and 2 cats who think they're dogs.
I collect tattoos :)
I am a gluten-free pescatarian (I eat fish but no meat) and I'm learning to be a domesticated girlfriend (much to the frustration of my man)
When I was a kid I used to want to be an anthropologist and I collected owl pellets and made hundreds of folders about zoology... I was a weird child.
I have a carnivorous plant garden and a jalapeño garden during the summer time.

I'm also late-deafened & I sign.

You?

Last edited:
I rescue dogs. (Or any animal that are deaf.)

Right now I have a ShihTzu, a Maltese / Poodle cross, and a deaf Pekingese.

I use a wheelchair mostly these days and the chair I travel in is printed like the United States flag. I also like building Frankenchairs, from spare parts.

ohmylight. whats your favorite book to cuddle with?
wink.
as for me mmmmmm here goes. nutshell
traditional Japanese martial arts instructor/assistant instructor.
not half bad with Ashtanga yoga but i like javimukti allot, have pratcised hatha and kundalini
fluent in 3 languages. and working toward my fourth.
Italian citizen. Canadian citizen. With a United Kingdom entitlement to the right of abode.
i have gypsie blood in that i spent a good deal of my adult life wandering. but not all who wander are lost.
i collect tattoos. and have given a few too
love Argentine tango. and Argentina loves me
i'm also a bookworm.
love the outdoors the farthest north i've been is around 30 clicks south of the arctic circle Yukon.

Born hearing. Deaf at 9, deaf residential school educated after, gally sent. I prefer ASL for a medium of communication but can be oral and am these days more then i like

I am Native American, Cherokee and Cree. People regard me that I know enough about what is happening to our people especially my family who had to suffered very much on the long "Trails of Tears". My deceased husband and his other family members loved how I know so much about ceremonies and traditions in spite of my deafness. Few Deaf natives don't know much about our native traditions. I am one of the few. That is why we started the First Nations of Ontario in Canada to help Deaf Natives get to know our traditions in different tribes and to get some help like Native ASL interpreters and not get stereotype us being as whites. We are fighting for our rights as Deaf Natives, not the other way around. We have been oppressed long enough and we want to stop it. Now that I am here in USA and not involved with DFNO anymore but I kept up with their website (DFNO) every now and then. I gave my suggestions and ideas to pass along with them. :)

I rescue dogs. (Or any animal that are deaf.)

Right now I have a ShihTzu, a Maltese / Poodle cross, and a deaf Pekingese.

I use a wheelchair mostly these days and the chair I travel in is printed like the United States flag. I also like building Frankenchairs, from spare parts.

I volunteer photographing rescues. I did an awesome series about stereotyping disability for graduate school last year and got some great adoptions facilitated. I was photographing animals who had a visible disability.... amputation or glaucoma etc. My own cat has no tail, but he doesn't have any problems because of it.

I build pinhole cameras out of weird found objects. I have a lego & a Mr Potatohead pinhole in my closet.

ohmylight. whats your favorite book to cuddle with?
wink.

Right now I'm reading "Gulp" - hardly a cuddle worthy book but very very good.
Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal: Mary Roach: 9780393081572: Amazon.com: Books

as for me mmmmmm here goes. nutshell
traditional Japanese martial arts instructor/assistant instructor.

I tried Capoiera when I was in undergrad!

not half bad with Ashtanga yoga but i like javimukti allot, have pratcised hatha and kundalini
fluent in 3 languages. and working toward my fourth.

Which languages? I'm fluent in English and nearly fluent (or at least very strong) in ASL... comfortable in 4 more languages and awkward but clear in 3 more. My current new language is Chinese, but I have a hard time with the intonation. I accidentally named my cat Thrust instead of Star for that reason (he's a black cat with yellow eyes)

Italian citizen. Canadian citizen. With a United Kingdom entitlement to the right of abode.

My uncle is from Tramonti. He's an Italian Chef in NYC. Every vegetarian dreams of having Eggplant Parm as the main course at Thanksgiving :)

i have gypsie blood in that i spent a good deal of my adult life wandering. but not all who wander are lost.
i collect tattoos. and have given a few too

What's your most recent? I have 16 I think (I always count them differently each time haha) Most are either flowers or sanskrit/tibetian/english type. 2 are Egyptian Hieroglyphics, only visible in backlight.

love Argentine tango. and Argentina loves me
i'm also a bookworm.

Most recent read? What's your best suggestion?

love the outdoors the farthest north i've been is around 30 clicks south of the arctic circle Yukon.

I visited Santas Workshop in Norway as a child!
I've hiked a few of the Adirondack 46.... Want to do more.

Born hearing. Deaf at 9, deaf residential school educated after, gally sent. I prefer ASL for a medium of communication but can be oral and am these days more then i like

Same with preference & reality.... I like people too much to be picky.

*See the bold!*

I am Native American, Cherokee and Cree. People regard me that I know enough about what is happening to our people especially my family who had to suffered very much on the long "Trails of Tears". My deceased husband and his other family members loved how I know so much about ceremonies and traditions in spite of my deafness. Few Deaf natives don't know much about our native traditions. I am one of the few. That is why we started the First Nations of Ontario in Canada to help Deaf Natives get to know our traditions in different tribes and to get some help like Native ASL interpreters and not get stereotype us being as whites. We are fighting for our rights as Deaf Natives, not the other way around. We have been oppressed long enough and we want to stop it. Now that I am here in USA and not involved with DFNO anymore but I kept up with their website (DFNO) every now and then. I gave my suggestions and ideas to pass along with them. :)

That's great to fight for something like that :) I started my undergrad education in Tucson, AZ, so I saw a lot of Pima Indians & other tribes represented on campus. There was a massive display of culture "on the lawn" which was in the center of campus.

When I was growing up I was in international schools, so they had cultural days where each student would educate others on where they came from and what defined them. I find it fascinating.

What's your favorite or most personal tradition which we might not know or understand?

I left home in January of last year to pick up a car in a town 200 miles away. I still haven't made it back.

I left home in January of last year to pick up a car in a town 200 miles away. I still haven't made it back.

Whats the weirdest roadside attraction you've seen?
I found "Prairie Dog Land" in Kansas..... they boast the worlds largest prairie dog. Turns out it's made of plaster. Damn good marketing, though :)

I have always been interested about Native American and when I was younger I carried my book called 'Black Elk Speaks' with me all the time and people would want to know I why I was reading it ,I told them it was my bible then I tell the person how white man committed genocide on Native American . This was in the 60's I had a lot of people roll their eyes at me when I told them this. I have a painting done by Jerome Tiger and it's called
'The Trail of Tears' . I brought it when I as visiting friends in Oklahoma .
The friend I was visiting was Cherokee and Black and told me some of the things that happen to the women , but it's to disturbing to post. I also love animals and recuse some cats and dogs , I love to garden but not able living in a condo. I loved getting long hikes in the woods with my beloved dog Finlay . I enjoying watching black and white moves and reading a good book .

Thanks for the book suggestion ohmylight. ill take a peak.
Capoiera is fun. Brazilian though. though i myself am hesitant to classify it a martial art. a martial dance is a more suitable classification in my opinion. but again its allot of fun. and a great work out. i've trained enough with practitioners and enough with it, to come to the conclusion it has a classification it does not deserve. that said.....
....lol not to be all humbug in this thread....cough moving along.
Tramonti. ah a terroni like me. though im farther south Puglia Alberobello. here. We build our houses like bee hives and put magical symbols on the top. take a look at Trullo for a peak if you wish.
I am fluent in English, Italiano, and ASL. I am currently working towards my fourth and have been placed to attempt my JPLT (Japanese language proficiency test) 4 next December. i may go for the gold and attempt level 5 it depends on my keeping up with my daily discipline. granted that is in the reading, writing, as it stand si wont be taking the oral exam for obvious reasons.
My most recent tat is a design of my own making on my right hand . a cross with crescent moons upon each point done with the needle and poke method no gun. in whitehorse. the one before that is something personal i had done in Belfast Ulster on the inside of my right and left forearms. i have 8 and counting at present

if you want to read something spellbinding then do yourself a favor and acquire and cherish "the book of the new sun" by Gene Wolfe. i have more alas time isnt on my side right now
ciao bella!

Last edited:
That's great to fight for something like that :) I started my undergrad education in Tucson, AZ, so I saw a lot of Pima Indians & other tribes represented on campus. There was a massive display of culture "on the lawn" which was in the center of campus.

When I was growing up I was in international schools, so they had cultural days where each student would educate others on where they came from and what defined them. I find it fascinating.

What's your favorite or most personal tradition which we might not know or understand?

My favorite and personal tradition is going to Powwows where we have gatherings from different tribes including our own traditions there on the Reservation (in Canada, we call it Reserve or First Nation reserve). I love the drumming (loud enough to feel the vibration if I dance close enough to it). Here in New Mexico, I will be going to Powwow in Albuquerque in the Spring. It is going to be very crowded because they are from all over the world. :)

Thanks for the book suggestion ohmylight. ill take a peak.
Capoiera is fun. Brazilian though. though i myself am hesitant to classify it a martial art. a martial dance it a more suitable classification in my opinion. but again its allot of fun. and a great work out. i've trained enough with practitioners and enough with it, to come to the conclusion it has a classification it does not deserve. that said.....
....lol not to be all humbug in this thread....cough moving along.
Tramonti. ah a terroni like me. though im farther south Puglia Alberobello. here. We build our houses like bee hives and put magical symbols on the top. take a look at Trullo for a peak if you wish.
I am fluent in English, Italiano, and ASL. I am currently working towards my fourth and have been placed to attempt my JPLT (Japanese language proficiency test) 4 next December. i may go for the gold and attempt level 5 it depends on my keeping up with my daily discipline. granted that is in the reading, writing, as it stand si wont be taking the oral exam for obvious reasons.
My most recent tat is a design of my own making on my right hand . a cross with crescent moons upon each point done with the needle and poke method no gun. in whitehorse. the one before that is something personal i had done in Belfast Ulster on the inside of my right and left forearms. i have 8 and counting at present

if you want to read something spellbinding then do yourself a favor and acquire and cherish "the book of the new sun" by Gene Wolfe. i have more alas time isnt on my side right now
ciao bella!

I've seen Trullo! We traveled a lot when we'd visit my Uncle's home... He lived up in the mountains. It's so nerve wracking to drive up there haha lots of windy roads. Are you still in Italy now?

I can understand the animosity towards Capoiera.... I didn't gain a large understanding of it, just dabbled in it. It was fun though :)

I'm going to have to find that book you suggested.... thanks!

Hi ohmylight, that is a good one! My mind is blank on that answer right now... smiles. I love the theme. We have the well documented "Igloo" not to far south of my town that does not quite rival the giant prairie dog.
I have gotten kind of sidetracked by my own idea but it is probably not to be and not all that weird probably too rough but I would like to do it anyway.
The "Wild Bill" Nelson Memorial site " For All the People Who Have Been Screwed By Greed and Oppression"
The idea is to have it on a major roadway that is also a flight path. Close to a large gravel pit. It would be an engineering marvel and a monument to all those millions of people that have been gotten the big weenie however it happened.
Ah well it lives in my mind. One place on earth for them. The giant ten story high extended middle finger that says what they really thought.

Lets see.....so i am a mexican american who was born to a catholic family but has jewish blood. I am the last one in my family to be born with it. I have cartaracs( idk if i wrote it right) in my eyes. But a very unique kind that only affects .0001% of population, maybe less. And has ive mention at some other posts i was born deaf but because hearing...which ive noticed its kinda odd. I was also born with a disease that is similar to a weak immune system, only 6 cases of this exist in world, me been one. Well those are the physical triats i guess. For the rest....well i learned to read at write a little before i turned 3. I wantes to be a cryptologist as a kid or symbologist. I know spanish, englsih, hebrew, a little japanese and summarian. And well learning asl and chinese. Since i was 15, i have been helping at police station to help solve cases and i also make fishtanks. I think thats all.

Hi ohmylight, that is a good one! My mind is blank on that answer right now... smiles. I love the theme. We have the well documented "Igloo" not to far south of my town that does not quite rival the giant prairie dog.
I have gotten kind of sidetracked by my own idea but it is probably not to be and not all that weird probably too rough but I would like to do it anyway.
The "Wild Bill" Nelson Memorial site " For All the People Who Have Been Screwed By Greed and Oppression"
The idea is to have it on a major roadway that is also a flight path. Close to a large gravel pit. It would be an engineering marvel and a monument to all those millions of people that have been gotten the big weenie however it happened.
Ah well it lives in my mind. One place on earth for them. The giant ten story high extended middle finger that says what they really thought.

I like it. I'd drive by. haha

Lets see.....so i am a mexican american who was born to a catholic family but has jewish blood. I am the last one in my family to be born with it. I have cartaracs( idk if i wrote it right) in my eyes. But a very unique kind that only affects .0001% of population, maybe less. And has ive mention at some other posts i was born deaf but because hearing...which ive noticed its kinda odd. I was also born with a disease that is similar to a weak immune system, only 6 cases of this exist in world, me been one. Well those are the physical triats i guess. For the rest....well i learned to read at write a little before i turned 3. I wantes to be a cryptologist as a kid or symbologist. I know spanish, englsih, hebrew, a little japanese and summarian. And well learning asl and chinese. Since i was 15, i have been helping at police station to help solve cases and i also make fishtanks. I think thats all.

You, my dear, are a rare snowflake indeed.
12sided.jpg

lol do you have a link to your fishtanks? I have a beta. His name is Ghoti..... pronounced "fish". He lives in a big tank for his size and needs.... a little spoiled :)
F = Enough
I = Women
SH = Nation

I dont have pictures of my tanks. I have most of my fish on normal tanks. But my betta is in a 5.2 gallon bubblegum machine. I made it into a tank and looks pretty cool. And he likes the solidarity life. My other betta is pretty darn happy living with guppies. No idea why. And thanks for the compliment. ^_^ but yeah...everyone does have that one thing that makes them truelyspecial abd unique from the rest.

I dont have pictures of my tanks. I have most of my fish on normal tanks. But my betta is in a 5.2 gallon bubblegum machine. I made it into a tank and looks pretty cool. And he likes the solidarity life. My other betta is pretty darn happy living with guppies. No idea why. And thanks for the compliment. ^_^ but yeah...everyone does have that one thing that makes them truelyspecial abd unique from the rest.

Post a picture of your gum ball fish tank when you can! I'd love to see it :)

I've posted a lot and I cannot answer this question. Now I know how people feel when they try to talk to me. They would ask what makes me so special. I draw a blank stare. I graduated college with a bachelor degree. I now sell bikes. There is not that much special about me.

Back