What makes for a good teacher of the Deaf?

Good Lord, you make it sound like your child is chained to a treadmill, with tubes and wires, with charts and graphs being printed out with each agonizing step. Chill out and let your child be a child. We know how concerned you are but sometimes you take it a bit far, it seems. No offense intended.

Beowulf, I doubt FJ outsourced the long nights of research on language acquisition to the toddler. I suspect by "we" she meant herself and her husband. Although from what I've read, Miss Kat is pretty advanced, and may have taken on a few chapters :lol:.

A good Deaf teacher will have to invest multiple times the effort an impressive hearing teacher has to put in.

This is an amicable statement that doesn't need to be questioned, everyone knows this.

A good Deaf teacher will have to invest multiple times the effort an impressive hearing teacher has to put in.

This is an amicable statement that doesn't need to be questioned, everyone knows this.

That makes no sense. A good Deaf teacher should put in an equal effort for the students as a hearing teacher. It is the hearing world/attitude that makes it seem the way you claim.

Why??

That makes no sense. A good Deaf teacher should put in an equal effort for the students as a hearing teacher. It is the hearing world/attitude that makes it seem the way you claim.

Thank you.

If that is how society percieves me as a educator who is deaf then I will not put in an extra effort anymore. For what?

??
I'm talking about effort wise. An upcoming deaf teacher, who wants to be distinguished, just as a hearing teacher, has to to put in more effort to teach their class than a hearing teacher needed to.
When you have students who don't understand, you need to go over the material over with them.

The hearing educator has an easier time due to being able to work with group settings, than a case-by-case basis. Thus, they have less effort. Is this not realized?

??
I'm talking about effort wise. An upcoming deaf teacher, who wants to be distinguished, just as a hearing teacher, has to to put in more effort to teach their class than a hearing teacher needed to.
When you have students who don't understand, you need to go over the material over with them.

The hearing educator has an easier time due to being able to work with group settings, than a case-by-case basis. Thus, they have less effort. Is this not realized?

I will do what works for my class and students not what works for the hearing world.

But I'm not referring to you, shel, I hope you aren't taking it that I'm singling you out.

I'm talking about when the assessment of education is based from an overall perspective through evaluation. Even the education in America, is uncontested and lower when we compare it with the education given overseas in other first world nations.

Their teachers puts in higher effort than ours do, and that results in higher knowledge than Americans. The same that a deaf would have to in order to teach efficiently compared to a hearing teacher, who has an easier case teaching a lecture of 100 students.

??

The hearing teacher would be driven mad if forced to teach deaf students, whether case by case or in group settings. Is this not realized as well? We are talking about "good" teachers, are we not?
Pardon me for being confused, lol.

The hearing teacher would be driven mad if forced to teach deaf students, whether case by case or in group settings. Is this not realized as well? We are talking about "good" teachers, are we not?

Hmm, maybe you are seeing it in a different way. I'm basing "good" on the effort utilized by the educator.

Hmm, maybe you are seeing it in a different way. I'm basing "good" on the effort utilized by the educator.

Ignore the score given by hearing educators when it comes to the Deaf. They are basing their grades and assumptions upon preconceived hearing perspectives, and I suspect that no deaf student is inherently "good" enough for them. That sounds brutal, I know. The best Deaf teachers I know are not giving more effort than the hearing teachers. Maybe it is just me, I dunno.

But I'm not referring to you, shel, I hope you aren't taking it that I'm singling you out.

I'm talking about when the assessment of education is based from an overall perspective through evaluation. Even the education in America, is uncontested and lower when we compare it with the education given overseas in other first world nations.

Their teachers puts in higher effort than ours do, and that results in higher knowledge than Americans. The same that a deaf would have to in order to teach efficiently compared to a hearing teacher, who has an easier case teaching a lecture of 100 students.

I know you arent singling me out solely but are you saying that for deaf people to be recognized as distinguished teachers, we have to put twice or more than twice the effort? If so, I was questioning ..why? I dont care about getting "Teacher of the Year" Award that hearing people give out. I am not out to impress them. I am there to do my best for my students not for any hearing people. If I read you wrong, then my apologies.

Really, that's pretty intriguing and interesting at the same time. This was the way I've always saw it, it wasn't just today, had this thought and discussion in the past.

I always pictured it as a scenario like this, we have general chemistry going on between a hearing mainstream class, and a Deaf class, both separated by rooms. Each class has 50 hearing, or 50 deaf students. Equal situations, both teachers being adept in their methods of communication.

over the course of an hour, I was pretty fixated to the idea that the mainstream teacher can get his/her material on a random subject like elimination reactions out faster than the Deaf teacher can, because of shortcuts to explain stuff like 'halide attacking' and 'substitution', or when talking of the change of a chemistry compound.. throw in a random one, C16H34O6 (just googled, and is called 3,6,9,12,15-pentaoxahenicosan-1-ol, lol).

It must sound like a ton of effort required for the deaf teacher to sign or explain that compound every single time. In order to circumvent that, I thought that the deaf teacher would have to print a handout prior to class for students to learn, or go over a brief method to shorten down complex names, unless they are signing the exact word or writing it down every single time (the hearing teacher likely just uses speech to name it, or draws a quick sketch of it while talking at the same time to reduce the amount needed to draw).

Does that kind of make more sense of what my thought is? I'd imagine a good Deaf teacher 'putting' more effort than a hearing teacher in this case to get the material out and understood between all learners in the class. Am I wrong?

I know you arent singling me out solely but are you saying that for deaf people to be recognized as distinguished teachers, we have to put twice or more than twice the effort? If so, I was questioning ..why? I dont care about getting "Teacher of the Year" Award that hearing people give out. I am not out to impress them. I am there to do my best for my students not for any hearing people. If I read you wrong, then my apologies.

I think he is saying deaf kids are harder to teach. Nothing to do with the teacher.

Really, that's pretty intriguing and interesting at the same time. This was the way I've always saw it, it wasn't just today, had this thought and discussion in the past.

I always pictured it as a scenario like this, we have general chemistry going on between a hearing mainstream class, and a Deaf class, both separated by rooms. Each class has 50 hearing, or 50 deaf students. Equal situations, both teachers being adept in their methods of communication.

over the course of an hour, I was pretty fixated to the idea that the mainstream teacher can get his/her material on a random subject like elimination reactions out faster than the Deaf teacher can, because of shortcuts to explain stuff like 'halide attacking' and 'substitution', or when talking of the change of a chemistry compound.. throw in a random one, C16H34O6 (just googled, and is called 3,6,9,12,15-pentaoxahenicosan-1-ol, lol).

It must sound like a ton of effort required for the deaf teacher to sign or explain that compound every single time. In order to circumvent that, I thought that the deaf teacher would have to print a handout prior to class for students to learn, or go over a brief method to shorten down complex names, unless they are signing the exact word or writing it down every single time (the hearing teacher likely just uses speech to name it).

Does that kind of make more sense of what my thought is? I'd imagine a good Deaf teacher 'putting' more effort than a hearing teacher in this case to get the material out and understood between all leaner in the class. Am I wrong?

Oh you are talking about TOD whether they are hearing or deaf who teach deaf children using ASL?

Not teachers who are deaf themselves?

I think he is saying deaf kids are harder to teach. Nothing to do with the teacher.

I think kids with language delays or deficits are the hardest to teach. I have taught deaf children who had no language delays nor deficits with their L1 language (ASL) and they were soooo easy to teach.

I dont know about teaching a classroom full of hearing kids as I have never done that so I cant make any judgements since I have nothing to compare with.

However, deaf kids who are fluent in their first language are so so so so much easier to teach than those with language delays or deficits which is why I get so frustrated with the oral-only method putting so many children at these kinds of risks. Uggggh!

It must sound like a ton of effort required for the deaf teacher to sign or explain that compound every single time. In order to circumvent that, I thought that the deaf teacher would have to print a handout prior to class for students to learn, or go over a brief method to shorten down complex names, unless they are signing the exact word or writing it down every single time (the hearing teacher likely just uses speech to name it, or draws a quick sketch of it while talking at the same time to reduce the amount needed to draw).

Does that kind of make more sense of what my thought is? I'd imagine a good Deaf teacher 'putting' more effort than a hearing teacher in this case to get the material out and understood between all learners in the class. Am I wrong?

Hmmm, interesting scenario. I am trying not to assume that the deaf students in that class are pretty well versed with the names of compounds being discussed in class, hah. At any rate, I imagine the Deaf teacher needing to just slow down enough to sufficiently give the information. That doesn't necessarily mean more effort, does it? Really, I don't know, so I am bowing out, lol.

Hmmm, interesting scenario. I am trying not to assume that the deaf students in that class are pretty well versed with the names of compounds being discussed in class, hah. At any rate, I imagine the Deaf teacher needing to just slow down enough to sufficiently give the information. That doesn't necessarily mean more effort, does it? Really, I don't know, so I am bowing out, lol.

I just taught the foundations of chemistry to my 5th graders a few months ago...it was pretty easy to teach because it was very visual. :dunno:

Oh you are talking about TOD whether they are hearing or deaf who teach deaf children using ASL?

Not teachers who are deaf themselves?

Yea, I'm talking about teachers who are teaching deaf classes, regardless if they are Deaf or deaf or hearing, how they have to put more effort to be a good educator compared at an equal pay with a hearing teacher. I'm talking about having to put in more effort for the students, the hearing teacher seems to have it easier.

Time = effort was the basis of my talk. :P Maybe we see differently on it, but I am cool with you having your opinion. I'm just trying to say how I saw mine.

Yea, I'm talking about teachers who are teaching deaf classes, regardless if they are Deaf or deaf or hearing, how they have to put more effort to be a good educator compared at an equal pay with a hearing teacher. I'm talking about having to put in more effort for the students, the hearing teacher seems to have it easier.

Well, there is one thing for sure. We have to be fluent in two languages while hearing teachers of hearing kids dont.

For that alone, we should get paid more.

Back