What makes a movie great and why?

Vance

Reaction score
Special effects? Plots? Storylines? Characters? Good vs Evil theme? Etc... and add the reason why you think so.

It is quite hard for me to pick one... but I guess I can go for plots. The greater the plot is, the greater the movie will become. AD'ers probably will criticize me for this but the plot is what made The Cube a great movie for me to watch.

What about you?

I would say that the plot is the most important part of making a film an success.

then add some never-seen before awesome effects, action-packed hooked up scenes, and characters with awesome looking customes/clothes.

example: The Matrix triogoly

In order to become a great movie... the story has to be great too as well.

ugly actors.
some dumb charscters.
boring plot.
stupid title.
less special effect.
long dialogue.
less action.

uhhh, your point being, Miss P? This topic is all about 'best' movie and why. Not... lousy movie.

I think that it really depends on the point of the movie. I've seen great movies where the plot wasn't "great", but the philosophy and understanding was well-used. For instance, there's Spaceballs, Scary Movie, Blazing Saddles, History of the World, etc... because of the philosophy and understanding. Of course, one would have to have seen many other movies to be able to understand the philosophy of these spoof movies. Another example would be Star Wars. Some people may say that the movies suck, but if one were to look at the movie from a philosophical point of view... it would be better and well-understood. Here's an example: Jedi is good. Sith is bad. The 'force' is good. The 'dark side' is bad. How do those who go towards the 'dark side' become powerful so quickly? It's easier to do bad things than good things. However, on a long run... good eventually overcomes bad. On a scale of 1 to 10 in mastering the 'power', a level-2 person could probably jump to level 8 if he joined the 'dark side'. However, a level-2 person using the 'force' could achieve level 10... while the person on the 'dark side' has difficulty going from his suddenly-earned level 8 to a higher level.

Like I said, it's just a matter of looking at movies from a different perspective. ;)

I think the most import part is plot, how well it start off. If it started off bad for the first 5 minutes, the whole movie sucks! Character is important too, and also how well it caters to audience as well. If it doesn't cater the audience, then its a flop. Just like the movie called "Jackass".

Good example is Ocean's 11, man! their plot was awesome... stealing 161 million dollars from world's most secured vault.

Meet the Focker, excellent plot orignated from "Meet the Parents" Usually part two fail to have the plot orignated from the first part.

"Meet the Focker" will come out on DVD soon. I give this movie double :thumb: Thumbs up!!!! :thumb:

VamPyroX said:
I think that it really depends on the point of the movie. I've seen great movies where the plot wasn't "great", but the philosophy and understanding was well-used. For instance, there's Spaceballs, Scary Movie, Blazing Saddles, History of the World, etc... because of the philosophy and understanding. Of course, one would have to have seen many other movies to be able to understand the philosophy of these spoof movies. Another example would be Star Wars. Some people may say that the movies suck, but if one were to look at the movie from a philosophical point of view... it would be better and well-understood. Here's an example: Jedi is good. Sith is bad. The 'force' is good. The 'dark side' is bad. How do those who go towards the 'dark side' become powerful so quickly? It's easier to do bad things than good things. However, on a long run... good eventually overcomes bad. On a scale of 1 to 10 in mastering the 'power', a level-2 person could probably jump to level 8 if he joined the 'dark side'. However, a level-2 person using the 'force' could achieve level 10... while the person on the 'dark side' has difficulty going from his suddenly-earned level 8 to a higher level.

Like I said, it's just a matter of looking at movies from a different perspective. ;)

VamPyroX has a good point. Also, there are a lot of movies with great writing that the average movie goers would label as a crappy movie, for example...

Boogie Nights, Magnolia, The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore and more. I loved all these movies. Yet most people I know didn't like them at all. Then I realized that most people who watch movies don't really watch them to begin with. Which is why they find it difficult to enjoy these movies.

It's just too complex for the average movie-goer. :)

But I also enjoy a lot of simple-minded movies like Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles and many, many other silly movies. Especially when there's a lot of movie references hidden into it. The average movie-goer also often have difficulties understanding most of the references unless they're familiar with the history, current events, movies and more.

I think special effects are an important part as it helps the visual element of the story. However, it's the plot that captures my heart. There have been several excellent movies with a captivating plot AND a moral to it. Willow is one example with it's moral of perservance and courage and an excellent storyline.

Star Wars and all the classics are good too because they're strong in the storyline, not to mention the great action! A good mixture of all those things helps me enjoy a movie.

Back