What kind of software that you using for watch DVD movie?

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm using Apple DVD Player to watch DVD movies, it's great software that included with deinterlace feature and true CC support (full customize, including with white text and solid black background), it's exclusive for Mac.

For Windows, I'm using WMP to watch DVD with CC, it's okay but not good as Apple DVD Player, also I'm hardly to watch movies on Windows.

What about you?

I was used to use the Cyberlink PowerDVD to watch the movies on the computer which come with the computer when I bought it, but now not anymore because I prefer to watch the movies on the television at the living room so that I don't have to sit up and watch whole the movie which was uncomfortable compare to laying down on the couch and watch the movies on a bigger screen.

I use KMPlayer, which is based on Linux MPlayer. KMPlayer has a lot of options for customising subtitles, which includes colours, positions, font type/size, etc.

I dont really watch DVDs on computers, but you can use VLC Player. It's available for Windows, OSX and Linux. Usually, WinDVD or PowerDVD is good for playing DVDs. Windows Media Player does its job, too, but it's not as nice and WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Here's what I like most about VLC player. Sometimes, if you download a movie and a separate subtitle file, sometimes the subtitle might seem out-of-sync with a movie. With VLC player, you can adjust the subtitle timing and force it to be in-sync with a movie. And VLC player can play a lot of different formats "out of the box".

Mac: DVD Player Windows: PowerDVD both support subtitles and CC.

I use Apple DVD player :)

As for my XP - I used PowerDVD

I use SMPlayer which is a frontend with mplayer.

It free to download and use and open source software.

Are you serious, out of how many posts? 10? And only one said VLC? :P You people need to learn how to use VLC, probably the simplest video player. I love it, supports almost all, if not, video formats.

Are you serious, out of how many posts? 10? And only one said VLC? :P You people need to learn how to use VLC, probably the simplest video player. I love it, supports almost all, if not, video formats.

I still can't get CC to work on VLC that why I use SMPlayer and mplayer.

Are you able to use CC on VLC?

I record my shows on computer using Happuage tuner card and it save CC into mpeg file but only mplayer is able to read back the CC from mpeg. I tried VLC and it doesn't see the CC on the mpeg file so if i want to use VLC I have ccextractor out the CC into subtitle file then playback with subtitle.

i have gateway with dvd but im sure if i have CC or not but they can have sub CC i would have provide for that!

I use Acer Arcade to watch DVD movie on my Acer lappy. It have CC and easy to use menu tho. I also use Window Media Player 11 too but I don't like it's menu cuz subtitle menu is hidden. I had to look for it and find it in drop down menu. WMP sux big time. I like Cyberhome software and it's easy to use. PLUS I do have Nero Vision from Nero 7.0. It works great and easy to use menu. I'm sticking with Acer Arcade tho.

Catty

I was planning to watch movie on Ubuntu's Totem player. It won't work cuz it doesn't have plug-ins to decode DVD's CSS format. Heard that hacker in Netherland got into trouble for cracking CSS code and distribute plug-ins for Linux's media players. I missed the chance to download hacked plug-ins before it was taken out from Linux download list GRRRRRRR!!! He complained that it's not fair that Windows and Apple can have plug-ins while Linux can't. They said that Linux is free distro and doesn't have right to have plug-ins for it. I'm sure that soon they will allow that cuz many linux user wanted to watch movies. I'm sure there's hacked plug-ins somewhere in the net to download with risk LOL.

Catty

Interactual

Interactual is the program I uses. It has actual closed caption. I really love it than watching subtitles with no sound. Closed Caption tells me everything happening in the story. It has PC and MAC...

InterActual Home

I was planning to watch movie on Ubuntu's Totem player. It won't work cuz it doesn't have plug-ins to decode DVD's CSS format. Heard that hacker in Netherland got into trouble for cracking CSS code and distribute plug-ins for Linux's media players. I missed the chance to download hacked plug-ins before it was taken out from Linux download list GRRRRRRR!!! He complained that it's not fair that Windows and Apple can have plug-ins while Linux can't. They said that Linux is free distro and doesn't have right to have plug-ins for it. I'm sure that soon they will allow that cuz many linux user wanted to watch movies. I'm sure there's hacked plug-ins somewhere in the net to download with risk LOL.

Catty

There's DVD playback on Linux, such as MPlayer or VLC Player.

Interactual is the program I uses. It has actual closed caption. I really love it than watching subtitles with no sound. Closed Caption tells me everything happening in the story. It has PC and MAC...

InterActual Home

This app isn't universal binary for Intel Mac but only best for PPC Mac because I don't want watch DVD under G4 emulator on Intel Mac due battery and heat (especially for MacBook, Air and Pro) .

Nah, Mac has best dvd playback software, known as Apple DVD Player and we don't need VLC Player.

I had used VLC Player and can't get CC to work because of software is made in Europe.

Back