What kind of mac should I get?

Ziusudra

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new mac, but I'm trying to decide whether an ibook, imac, emac or a mac mini would be best. I need a faster mac to do all the things I want to do.

I just wondered whether any of you have had experience with different models of macs so I can get an idea of a good, reliable one to use.

Ziusudra said:
I'm considering buying a new mac, but I'm trying to decide whether an ibook, imac, emac or a mac mini would be best. I need a faster mac to do all the things I want to do.

I just wondered whether any of you have had experience with different models of macs so I can get an idea of a good, reliable one to use.

I have same questions as you do :) Since 1988, Ive had a PC. But lately, I have been wondering if I should buy an Ibook. I am hoping to buy an Ibook in a few weeks.

But it is scary to convert to MAC from PC.

From what I hear, the iBook is the best thing out there for a Mac.

VamPyroX said:
From what I hear, the iBook is the best thing out there for a Mac.

Actually, the iMac is more powerful than the iBook from what I know since they do have G5 processors while the iBook are still using G4 processors. But an iBook is still a great computer especially if you plan on bringing it everywhere.

Banjo said:
Actually, the iMac is more powerful than the iBook from what I know since they do have G5 processors while the iBook are still using G4 processors. But an iBook is still a great computer especially if you plan on bringing it everywhere.
Oh, you're right... I forgot she was talking about computers in general, not just laptops. :thumb:

i would take g5 if i were you and i do heavy graphic or web designs. yet imac wud suite u great for the design if u consider to have it for home.

i always drool at sexy g5 and ibook.

deafclimber said:
i always drool at sexy g5 and ibook.
Same here.

At the college where I work, web design students and digital photography students in the graphic design department lab use g5's.

I know one freelance professional advertising designer who uses ibook exclusively. He used to have an imac also, but he sold it to me. :)

I like my imac, but I would pounce on a g5 if I could afford it.

IMO, the main problem with imac is the small monitor.

When I was in the Reserves, we had a Mac with a monitor that could rotate into a vertical screen. That was great for electronic publishing because I could see the entire page full size.

Ziusudra said:

Hell yeah, Macs rule.

This is the best website to visist for mac supplies and stores: Apple Store

My personal choice is the Powerbooks. They are powerful and they have nice GHz's. The 17 inch Powerbook has a 100 GB harddrive :eek2: Its powerful for an laptop. It can be pretty expensive, but worth it.

Here are the Specs for a 17 inch powerbook:

17-inch TFT Display
1440x900 resolution
1.67GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
100GB Hard Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 (128 MB DDR)
Backlit keyboard
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400 & 800
Digital/analog audio
DVI & S-Video out
Dual link DVI

ref_04pb12_ipod.jpg

Powerbooks

The Power Mac G5 is amazingly NICE, My dad owns one downstairs in my house... And it is so beautiful and it works peacefully and mighty FAST. I can play all different kinds of games i want on the G5 because it is so powerful...

This is the specs that my G5 has:

Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
1.25GHz frontside bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
512MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
Three PCI-X Slots
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
128MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

Notice that it has 160 GB Serial ATA drive... thats alot of storage. Also 1.25 GHz processor is perfect for all kinds of games that are out today, Its fast enough to play Doom III and Half Life 2 combinded.

pwmg5pic1.jpg

Apple G5

The Mac Mini, Is perfect for college students or someone like you, That is what i choose for you. I suggest you to get the Mini for a couple of reasons, They are cheap, Small and afforable ($499). I think i am getting the mini when i leave for college, But i'd rather have an ibook since it is portable.

indexsetupsystem20050111.gif

^That is how big it is compared to the moniter and the keyboard

The Size of a Mac Mini:
indexdimensions20050111.jpg

The Specs:

1.25GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo drive
DVI or VGA video output
AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth optional

Now thats pretty powerful for something so small like that!

I would suggest for you to wait for the iBook G5 ;)

The other Mac mini, for $100.00 more has twice the hard drive...80GB.

At the college where I work, web design students and digital photography students in the graphic design department lab use g5's.

I know one freelance professional advertising designer who uses PowerBook exclusively. He used to have an imac also, but he sold it to me. :)

I like my imac, but I would pounce on a g5 if I could afford it.

IMO, the main problem with imac is the small monitor.

When I was in the Reserves, we had a Mac with a monitor that could rotate into a vertical screen. That was great for electronic publishing because I could see the entire page full size, no scrolling.

Zisruda, since this is your topic, how about a mini for 499 or the one with twice the hard drive for 599 IF you have good peripherials and they are USB your'e dons shopping! So your known cost would be just the 499 or 599.....

Tousi said:
Zisruda, since this is your topic, how about a mini for 499 or the one with twice the hard drive for 599 IF you have good peripherials and they are USB your'e dons shopping! So your known cost would be just the 499 or 599.....
Good idea! Most economical.

Yeah, Reba, I was thinking of you, too, since you mentioned the cost....

Hmm.. a mac mini would be sweet, and I can use it with any monitor/keyboard I like. It actually sounds good, being so small, it's easily portable. I have an ibook myself, but it's only 366mhz, very slow. I want something that'll handle OS X and I can upgrade easily as well as burn DVDs. The mac mini sounds suitable for that, as I'd like to do some multimedia work on a fast computer.

Or should I hold out and get a better ibook?

Ziusudra said:
I want something that'll handle OS X and I can upgrade easily as well as burn DVDs. The mac mini sounds suitable for that, as I'd like to do some multimedia work on a fast computer.

Or should I hold out and get a better ibook?

It would be nice to have both computers. For upgrades, you might want a G5 desktop and a 20" Apple LCD monitor. For iBook 17 inches monitor, it would be nice to carry around with you. It's tough choice.

I have a dual 2GHz G5 desktop and a 20" LCD monitor. I love them. The price is for sake, and wanted to get over with it. It is very important that you should buy an AppleCare Protection Plan for a 3-years warranty. The AppleCare comes with a TechTool CD.

See Nusentinsaino's post that has the information for you to make a decision. Good Luck.

webexplorer said:
... It is very important that you should buy an AppleCare Protection Plan for a 3-years warranty.
Why is that?

Looking For Mac Users

Hello everyone,

I need to ask to see if anyone who is a Mac user? If you are or anyone you know who is, please e-mail me with your e-mail address; and I will have the exciting news sent to you as soon as possible.

Many thanks in advance! :)

E-Mail: tiger8jasmine@yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reba said:
Why is that?

You would have not to worry about paying a lot of money if your computer goes wrong. For a G5 desktop, the AppleCare cost around 270 dollars for 3 years. If your warranty is already expired, then you would end up a hundred to a thousand dollar for a repair service.

A month ago, a tree branch fell and knocked the power line. Somehow the electricity killed my computer's logic board. It was my fault that I did not buy a battery backup device (UPS). It could cost me approximately $1,000 for the logic board replacement without the AppleCare. Now, I have a UPS. The AppleCare service is very good, and it gives me a peace of mind.

(The UPS that you could buy from APC or Belkin. They are good ones.)

Yeah, AppleCare is very important. That's why I want to buy something fairly new so it's under warranty. It can get VERY expensive fixing something if something went badly wrong. You should buy a new computer with AppleCare.

Back