What kind of CI do you have?

CIUser1991

Reaction score
I have the Nucleus 5 Processor. My audiologist advised me about Cochlear coming out with the Nucleus 6 Processor. I plan on getting that as soon they're out (looks like they are as the website is displaying the N6. Will check in with audiologist).

However...did anyone lose friends after first acquiring the CI? I lost a significant amount of deaf friends because they felt like I was losing touch with the 'deaf roots' which I took offense to. I don't know, aren't friends supposed to support you & have your back no matter what?

mine's is called NE-CI, its new, its revolutionary, it is empowering

it means Non-Existent Cochlear Implant

I have the Nucleus 5 Processor. My audiologist advised me about Cochlear coming out with the Nucleus 6 Processor. I plan on getting that as soon they're out (looks like they are as the website is displaying the N6. Will check in with audiologist).

However...did anyone lose friends after first acquiring the CI? I lost a significant amount of deaf friends because they felt like I was losing touch with the 'deaf roots' which I took offense to. I don't know, aren't friends supposed to support you & have your back no matter what?

they are not truly friends to you in the first place. I did not lose my hub when he got a CI several years ago. I have several friends who have CIs too. True friends are supposed to stay with you. just saying

if you are in the US, it sounds like the N6 will be formally announced or whichever on Sept. 30, and shortly after that should be available for Cochlear users (the FDA just recently approved the N6).

I have Advanced Bionics myself, with the Harmony and Neptune processors.

Hi there! I have CI24RE/Freedom implant with N5 processor. I will get N6 when it become available. Cant wait! Anyway, after I was implanted and activated, I didnt lose any friends. Actually, they are happy or dont care for me to get ci, except for one person. But he got used to me having a CI. I guess he dont want to lose me as a good friend lol.

Maybe you could ask your deaf friends why they avoiding you and explaining why you have to get CI and why CI will help you out. Maybe they will understand and accept who you are. Hope that help?

CIUser 1991: advise your former "deaf frends?" that having a Cochlear Implant doesn't change one- you are still DEAF. Easy to demonstrate: just turn off-real quiet!
There actions hard to reconcile with the "theory of deaf friendship".

mine's is called NE-CI, its new, its revolutionary, it is empowering

it means Non-Existent Cochlear Implant

Me: oh I've never heard of that! Lemme google i- oh...:D

(completely different topic):
I have 2 N5s. I'm going to upgrade to the N6 as soon as it is available, I got my second CI in June, so I knew ahead of time not to open the processors that came with it and instead use my old backup one, so that way I can exchange them with cochlear for 2 n6s. :D

I'm getting the N6 after my November 1st surgery.

I'd hope you were able to keep most of your friends. I know some of mine are against the surgery but don't judge me for wanting it. Some of my hearing friends were surprisingly unsupportive about it, who knew me before my hearing loss started. I see why it happens though. I identify more as "me" though than one specific group. I'd hope anyone who had a problem with the CI saw you'd be the same person with or without it.

Hi there! I have CI24RE/Freedom implant with N5 processor. I will get N6 when it become available. Cant wait! Anyway, after I was implanted and activated, I didnt lose any friends. Actually, they are happy or dont care for me to get ci, except for one person. But he got used to me having a CI. I guess he dont want to lose me as a good friend lol.

Maybe you could ask your deaf friends why they avoiding you and explaining why you have to get CI and why CI will help you out. Maybe they will understand and accept who you are. Hope that help?

Exactly....ask if they'd treat you the same if you had upgraded to a more powerful hearing aid........I think the phobia about CI is REALLY dumb...REALLY dumb.

Some of my hearing friends were surprisingly unsupportive about it.

Then should they ever have to deal with hearing loss they can just live with it. See how long that lasts. I don't care if they sign or are interpreters, they always take their hearing life for granted until it's gone. Then their little soap box crumbles since it never had a solid foundation to begin with.

Then should they ever have to deal with hearing loss they can just live with it. See how long that lasts. I don't care if they sign or are interpreters, they always take their hearing life for granted until it's gone. Then their little soap box crumbles since it never had a solid foundation to begin with.

This same friend said they'd kill themselves if they couldn't hear. A little dramatic I think... :hmm:

Their reasoning for not being supportive? They said I do fine without it... but they always sign and see how I get lost in group conversations.....

I'm not sure this friend "gets it"...

PS - VERY excited about the upcoming CI... so his opinion is worth less than my dog's right now :D

I have the Advanced Bionics Neptune and will also get the new Naida Q when it's available.

Back