"What kind of Asian are you?"

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was on facebook today and wanted to post a video I thought was funny. But it wasn't captioned, and I didn't want my Deaf friends to be left out, so I didn't post it, I just privately sent it to one hearing friend. She thought it was funny, but yeah, that kind of sucked. So I decided to type up the dialogue and post it for everyone there. Once I finished typing, I thought, why not post it here?

This one is a conversation between two people speaking American English, neither of whom has any sort of foreign accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DWynJkN5HbQ#!

man: hi there
woman: hi
man: nice day, huh?
woman: yeah, finally, right?
man: (looks shocked) where are you from? your english is *perfect*!
woman: San Diego. We speak English there. (her voice shows that he's trying her patience.)
man: (gestures like he's talking to someone who doesn't understand English) WHERE ARE YOU... FROM?
woman: Well I was born in Orange County, but I never actually lived there.
man: I mean before that.
woman: Before I was born...?
man: Yeah like, whe- uh, Where are your people from?
woman: Well my great grandma was from Seoul.
man: Korean. I knew it. I was like, she's either Japanese or Korean. But I was leaning toward Korean.
woman: Amazing.
man: (bows) Ham Sashia (I think this is a poorly executed attempt at a Korean greeting.) There's a really good terriaki-barbeque place near my apartment. so. Actually I really like Kimchi
woman: coooool -(voice somewhat exhausted) what about you, where are you from?
man: San Francisco
woman: But where are you FROM (mimicking the way he asked her)
man: Oh, I'm just American.
woman: Really. You're native American. (exhaustion in her voice)
man: No, uh, just *regular* American
woman: (looks at him like she's completely run out of patience.)
man: oh, well, uh, I guess my grandparents are from England
woman: oh, well, (goes into an extreme English accent) Hello Governor! What's all this then? Top of the morning to you! Have a spot of Tea, Spot of Tea? Double double, toil and trouble! (wow I can't catch some of this!) Beware Jack the ripper! BLOODY HELL!! Pip pip, cheerio! (back to normal voice) I think your people's fish and chips are amazing.
man: You're weird.
woman: Really? I'm weird? Must be a Korean thing.

out takes of her doing English stereotypes:
Fish and chips! Pheasants! ?cream! Bangers and Mash! Guinness! Plowman's Lunch! A spot of tea! A pint of Ale!

haha, I saw this video. Absolutely hilarious... and painfully accurate ;_;

ugh. sorry about the accurate part:0 People are amazing (cough).

I kept waiting for the funny part but didn't happen.

Back