What i've learned so far...

Taphy

Reaction score
I'm taking a college ASL class (ASL1). I'm deaf/HofH. I'm picking up a lot of vocabulary from the sites posted in the other thread and the class has helped me learn how to sign in ASL and use classifiers.
I've gone to Deaf socials and I love being part of Deaf Culture!! *kissfist* The Deaf Culture, where I live, is so warm and accepting. I've made so many wonderful friends!!
If you are learning ASL, maybe these tips will help you. I've learned a lot in a very short time. This is what works for me:
Just do it. practice. practice. practice. I practice ALL the time. Even when I'm alone. Even when with hearing family and friends. I find Sim Com's on Youtube and watch them and sign along with them. When I'm with my hearing family, I Sim Com. It makes me used to signing. If I don't know a sign, I look it up on my phone.
Do hand exercises. Stretch out your fingers, bend and twist your wrists, work those hand and wrist muscles, and massage your hands. You will need hand dexterity, as much as knowledge, to finger spell well. You will work your hands and fingers in ways you never thought you would.
Find Deaf Socials in your area and go to them. If you are in school or college find deaf clubs or events and go to them.
When I went to my first Deaf Social, the signing people were on one side of the table communicating, my hearing ASL classmates were on the other side of the table watching. Do not be like the hearing students. Dive right in. I sat with the people who were signing, not the people watching.
It's okay to make mistakes. That's how you learn. You are not going to sign perfect. You are learning. The more you communicate in ASL, the more you will learn. Again, go to Deaf Socials and Deaf events. The more you go, the more people you will meet to communicate with.
When you go to a Deaf Social or Deaf Event don't leave early. Plan to stay. Deaf people love to communicate. What I've found is that in the beginning everyone is communicating in ASL and it's hard to keep up if you are new to ASL. If you stay later, the group gets smaller and that's when it's easier for people to help you since there's not as many people. Plus, you make awesome friends.
Teach someone else what you are learning. This has helped me learn. I teach my boyfriend what I've been learning and he asks me questions. It makes me look things up or I ask my ASL teacher the things I haven't thought of.
Give yourself time. I'm not fluent and I won't be for a very long time. Remember, learning ASL is learning a new language. ASL is a rich, complex, and beautiful language. Stick with it and learn something new everyday.

Back