What It's Like to Grow up in a Deaf Family?

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
What It's Like to Grow up in a Deaf Family | TeenVogue.com

This is an excellent article written by a CODA. Worth a read. Enjoy it. :)

I love the way how she describes what it's like to use ASL.

"Imagine being able to communicate—and to laugh, and to love, and to grieve, and to experience joy—in three dimensions."

What It's Like to Grow up in a Deaf Family | TeenVogue.com

This is an excellent article written by a CODA. Worth a read. Enjoy it. :)

I love the way how she describes what it's like to use ASL.

"Imagine being able to communicate—and to laugh, and to love, and to grieve, and to experience joy—in three dimensions."

This is an excellent article, albeit a short one. She should write an autobiography! This would be a great sell!

This is an excellent article, albeit a short one. She should write an autobiography! This would be a great sell!

Yeah, it coulda, shoulda, woulda be awesome. I love to hear testimonials of CODAs and most of it could be relatable.

oh yea, i also wonder how come they so numb to the fact other deafies are jsut that left out in the cold.... of everything and the tall poppy syndrome is well deserved they get too much attention from deaf associations and clubs....so its a inside -out thing about ignorance......strange.... and petty in 'nature'...i frankly thinks of those 'top of the pecking order' families are spoilt little shits....
think the fergusons and pivacs in New Zealand , assholes!!!

What about those family you mentioned? Every families are different on how they raise a family. I think it's great to have a Deaf family to be able to use ASL communication all around and not being left out.

oh yea, i also wonder how come they so numb to the fact other deafies are jsut that left out in the cold.... of everything and the tall poppy syndrome is well deserved they get too much attention from deaf associations and clubs....so its a inside -out thing about ignorance......strange.... and petty in 'nature'...i frankly thinks of those 'top of the pecking order' families are spoilt little shits....
think the fergusons and pivacs in New Zealand , assholes!!!

What a beautiful article, her parents must be so proud of her.

I wished that I can be in a Deaf family because as a baby, I could never be able to communicate with my family in ASL until I was in elementary school with only Oral method until I graduated from high school at 20 years old. Communicating with a Deaf dad and D/Hard of Hearing Mom, I would be able to communicate in Baby signs to each other. That would be great so that I don't feel left out.

I am so glad that I found Lutheran Church for the Deaf where the Pastor taught me to sign Ameslan (later ASL). It opened the door and lift my shoulder or chest off. I felt so happy and contented being able to communicate in ASL with the Deaf community and going to college where they have Deaf program. My son is a CODA, too. :)

I wished that I can be in a Deaf family because as a baby, I could never be able to communicate with my family in ASL until I was in elementary school with only Oral method until I graduated from high school at 20 years old. Communicating with a Deaf dad and D/Hard of Hearing Mom, I would be able to communicate in Baby signs to each other. That would be great so that I don't feel left out.

I am so glad that I found Lutheran Church for the Deaf where the Pastor taught me to sign Ameslan (later ASL). It opened the door and lift my shoulder or chest off. I felt so happy and contented being able to communicate in ASL with the Deaf community and going to college where they have Deaf program. My son is a CODA, too. :)

Hi, Bebonang! I'm glad that ASL was the reason for you to be able to find your happiness. I have seen so many deaf children that falls through the crack due to not having a language where they can be able to express themselves or to acquire anything that's front of them. But, it is a progress now than it was in the past because I'm seeing more and more parents are starting to open their minds to acquire ASL for their deaf child/children. It's a start but it's still a long way to go.

Hi, Bebonang! I'm glad that ASL was the reason for you to be able to find your happiness. I have seen so many deaf children that falls through the crack due to not having a language where they can be able to express themselves or to acquire anything that's front of them. But, it is a progress now than it was in the past because I'm seeing more and more parents are starting to open their minds to acquire ASL for their deaf child/children. It's a start but it's still a long way to go.

I did not learn ASL as a child but I move my hands a lot when I am talking . I bet ASL would had been very natural to me growing up as I like to use my hands when talking . But I would of had no one to use it with. I never seen anyone use ASL until I was a lot older.
I only knew one other girl that was hoh and she did not use ASL . Growing up hoh in the 40's and 50's in a hearing family was not easy .

Back