What it feels like while wearing the CI?

To answer the first question, yes one can swim with CI. One just takes off the processor and coil transmitter. The only limitation is depth of water which is some 80+ feet deep.

A bone conductor HA only works with bone conduction losses. It won't work for other types of losses. Most hearing losses are related to cochlear hair issues. If severe enough, only a CI can deal with that one. Otherwise, most people get by with HAs.

Again, educate yourself on these things.

why not you educate yourself on Bone Conductor Hearing Aid...
Ask audiogist if you can try one on... and see if you like it or not.
It should work for everyone.

Excuse me! What a riot! You really have no clue do you? Most hearing losses can't use a bone conducting HA.

As for me...

I DON"T HAVE A BONE CONDUCTION LOSS!!!!

Now, having said that...How is that thing going to help me? My cochlear hairs conked out on me and thus necessitating a CI (check my avatar for when that was).

Obviously, you do not know what you are talking about. So, I will wisely disappear from this inane portion of this thread.

Why the hell would it work on everyone if a lot of them don't have a BONE CONDUCTION loss?! It sure as hell wouldn't work on me as I DO NOT have a bone conduction loss.

I read all the post about CI. I never had one myself. I would like to try with CI if my audiologist approve for my hearing test. Hopefully that I can get CI.
I'm wondering does it sound the same with hearing aids on it??

Hearacle??? Oh... I don't know, maybe I should order one and see if I like that....
and it is wireless....

Can you swim with the CI????

Well I rather wear a Bone Conduct Hearing Aids than to have doctor
drill hole in my head and implant CI on my head.

You know so much about CI :giggle:

Also, The Empress it's very rude of you to have taken over SpaceyUFO's thread. If you want to start a "mine is better than yours" thread then start your own thread not use someone elses.

I read all the post about CI. I never had one myself. I would like to try with CI if my audiologist approve for my hearing test. Hopefully that I can get CI.
I'm wondering does it sound the same with hearing aids on it??

Good question! At first, one has to adjust to hearing with a CI. It is somewhat different with voices probably the most noticable aspect. After adjusting to it, it pretty much sounds just like a HA only better. The adjustment period varies with the person.

sr171 soars,
thanks , anyway how long does it take to get normal hearing with CI on it?
Does the speech effect the same with HA on it? I wear HA and I think my speech is fine. But, if I get CI and my speech would be different?? Not like with HA and the way I speak.

sr171 soars,
thanks , anyway how long does it take to get normal hearing with CI on it?
Does the speech effect the same with HA on it? I wear HA and I think my speech is fine. But, if I get CI and my speech would be different?? Not like with HA and the way I speak.

Like I said before, it depends on the person. Some are quick like me and others take a while as they "learn" to hear. Everybody is different.

If you have "decent" speech, a CI will definitely improve it. I gotten feedback from several people who noticed very quickly (right after my hookup) that my speech became really good and now it is excellent. One interesting thing with wearing a CI is that you will hear other's voices more or less as you heard them with your HA. It is your own voice that will be different (we have another thread that covers why that is) but it will be better (mainly because you will hear yourself better) and after a little while you won't notice it anymore. It isn't a big deal. I got used to it in about a week or two. Now, I can't even remember how I sounded different. :D

Excuse me! What a riot! You really have no clue do you? Most hearing losses can't use a bone conducting HA.

As for me...

I DON"T HAVE A BONE CONDUCTION LOSS!!!!

Now, having said that...How is that thing going to help me? My cochlear hairs conked out on me and thus necessitating a CI (check my avatar for when that was).

Obviously, you do not know what you are talking about. So, I will wisely disappear from this inane portion of this thread.

Bone Conduction Loss?

You know that thing that Audiogist put around your head for the hearing
test...
And you have to raise your hand if you feel the vibration or hear the beeping sound...
That thing is a BONE CONDUCTOR, if you can hear some sound from
that... then you can get a Bone Conductor...

So you're saying during the hearing test, you can't hear or feel any
vibrate from the Bone Conductor Hearing AID??? You didn't raise your
hand at ALL???????????????????????????????????????

It is like getting a new eyeglasses... the eye doctor test your eyes
to see how far you can see and give you the glass precription...
and you can buy the glasses and take it home.

Same thing with with BCHA.... the Audiogist test my ears
to see how much I can hear... and she gives me the hearing aid precription...
and I can buy the bone conductor and take it home.

That is all I was trying to say....

Will someone explain to that person for me.... she doesn't understand.

sr171soars,

Thanks, that is help alot. I will try CI someday, if my audiologist approve it.

Bone Conduction Loss?

You know that thing that Audiogist put around your head for the hearing
test...
And you have to raise your hand if you feel the vibration or hear the beeping sound...
That thing is a BONE CONDUCTOR, if you can hear some sound from
that... then you can get a Bone Conductor...

So you're saying during the hearing test, you can't hear or feel any
vibrate from the Bone Conductor Hearing AID??? You didn't raise your
hand at ALL???????????????????????????????????????

It is like getting a new eyeglasses... the eye doctor test your eyes
to see how far you can see and give you the glass precription...
and you can buy the glasses and take it home.

Same thing with with BCHA.... the Audiogist test my ears
to see how much I can hear... and she gives me the hearing aid precription...
and I can buy the bone conductor and take it home.

That is all I was trying to say....

Will someone explain to that person for me.... she doesn't understand.

*Sigh* and double *Sigh*

Perhaps I need to spell this all out for you. There is the outer, middle and inner ear. For normal hearing, all three must work properly. If your ear drum is broken/busted, you won't hear too well plus be subjected to infections. If your middle ear isn't working, you will be mostly deaf and can hear vibrations which is what the bone conduction HA assists with. For most of us like myself, the problem is in the inner ear particularily the cochlea and specifically the cochlear hairs aren't working too well or not at all. A bone conduction HA will not work, nada, zilch, zero when the inner ear is not functioning. A CI does that which is why I have one. My outer and middle ears are fine thank you. They are irrelevant now due to my CI as it bypasses my outer and middle ear and pipes the info straight to my cochlear nerve and on to my brain.

I can always feel vibrations but I can't hear the vibrations at all and never will again unless they can give me normal hearing again.

Maybe, maybe this might help you understand.

*Sigh* and double *Sigh*

Perhaps I need to spell this all out for you. There is the outer, middle and inner ear. For normal hearing, all three must work properly. If your ear drum is broken/busted, you won't hear too well plus be subjected to infections. If your middle ear isn't working, you will be mostly deaf and can hear vibrations which is what the bone conduction HA assists with. For most of us like myself, the problem is in the inner ear particularily the cochlea and specifically the cochlear hairs aren't working too well or not at all. A bone conduction HA will not work, nada, zilch, zero when the inner ear is not functioning. A CI does that which is why I have one. My outer and middle ears are fine thank you. They are irrelevant now due to my CI as it bypasses my outer and middle ear and pipes the info straight to my cochlear nerve and on to my brain.

I can always feel vibrations but I can't hear the vibrations at all and never will again unless they can give me normal hearing again.

Now I understand. Thank you for explaining and be patient with me.:ty:

*Sigh* and double *Sigh*

:gpost: Very good explanation!

I had totally deaf friends and they can't talk at all...

So if they get CI, and hear sound for the first time, and hear somebody
talking to them, but don't know what they are saying...

Would it be like living in a foreign country, and the deaf mute people
have to learn how to talk and have to go to see speech therapist
to help them not babble like a baby and understand words?

Whos the better?

Also, The Empress it's very rude of you to have taken over SpaceyUFO's thread. If you want to start a "mine is better than yours" thread then start your own thread not use someone elses.

Thanks R2D2, I am not talking about loss Bone conduct blahhhh and I am specific talking about CI what it feels like when hearing the sounds thats all I really wanted to know. Again thanks . SpaceyUFO

I had totally deaf friends and they can't talk at all...

So if they get CI, and hear sound for the first time, and hear somebody
talking to them, but don't know what they are saying...

Would it be like living in a foreign country, and the deaf mute people
have to learn how to talk and have to go to see speech therapist
to help them not babble like a baby and understand words?

Yes, very much like that.

It depends on the CI's age. If they are very young, it will be easier to learn to hear and understand speech.

Many prelingually (those who were born deaf) deaf adults who got implanted as an adult never learn to understand speech.

SpaceyUFO, A CI is basicly a more powerful aid. It can "turn up" the volume, so you can hear more then with hearing aids. (and yes, I know a CI doesn't work like a hearing aid......I am speaking metaphoricly) If you can only hear basic "enviromental" sounds, I'd opt for it.

deafdyke,

I understand the point you were trying to make, but I wanted to clarify that a CI doesn't necessarily make sounds louder. More accurately, it makes sounds clearer.

CI users may *perceive* sounds as being louder (especially after their CI has been activated), but this has more to do with the difference in sound perception when one is severely HoH or profoundly deaf (i.e. distorted/weak signal of HAs) compared to being able to hear at 20-30 dB across all frequencies with a CI.

Another factor is the brain's ability to make sounds that were previously uncomfortably loud more tolerable the longer a CI is used.

A CI provides a clearer signal to speech and environmental sounds, but is not "a more powerful HA." I do not hear sounds any louder than someone with normal hearing or someone who uses HAs.

That being said, I do know of a few cases where CI users have been able to hear very quiet sounds exceptionally well (sometimes better than those with normal hearing), but this has more to do with one's map and T levels (the loudest sound a person can tolerate) than it does with the general ability to hear with a CI.

Hear Again

Left ear - Nucleus 24 Contour Advance with 3G
Implanted: 12/22/04 Activated: 1/18/05

Right ear - Nucleus Freedom
Implanted: 2/1/06 Activated: 3/1/06

deafdyke,

CI users may *perceive* sounds as being louder (especially after their CI has been activated), but this has more to do with the difference in sound perception when one is severely HoH or profoundly deaf (i.e. distorted/weak signal of HAs) compared to being able to hear at 20-30 dB across all frequencies with a CI.

Another factor is the brain's ability to make sounds that were previously uncomfortably loud more tolerable the longer a CI is used.

That was so true for me. Before I was implanted I was left with recruitment due to damage caused by my hearing loss and so I had become very sensitive to loud noise. With the CI we have gradually built up my sound tolerance. So a map that I found very loud 3 months ago would now sound very quiet to me today.

Back