What is your opinion??

cutiepijenae

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site but I have been moderately deaf all my life. I've gone through many surgeries in my childhood to "patch" my tympanic membranes which were eaten away by ear infections when I was an infant but they never really had much success. So finally when I was 17 I got my first set of hearing aides which were BTE, I was AMAZED at all the sounds I heard that I thought never even existed such as the sound of my soccer ball rolling across the grass or people mowing their lawns on summer days. So I'm now 21, four years later and my right hearing aide no longer works so I'm thinking about getting a new pair sometime in the future. I will admit I never really research a good brand of hearing aide, we just went to our local costco and bought some so I was wondering if any of you wonderful people have any suggestions on good brands of hearing aides. My right ear has moderately severe loss and my left ear has moderate loss although high frequencies are really hard to hear. I've heard BTE's are best so I'll probably stick with them, so let me know if you guys have an opinion on which brands were good with your experience. Any help would be very appreciated :) Thank you!

there are a few popular ones that seem that many members have here..the naida could work for you if you have a high freq loss moderate/severe since it has a program that can take certain freqs and put them into another freq that you can hear better in...also the oticon chilis I've heard are good as well and I've heard some good things about siemens as well:)

there are a few popular ones that seem that many members have here..the naida could work for you if you have a high freq loss moderate/severe since it has a program that can take certain freqs and put them into another freq that you can hear better in...also the oticon chilis I've heard are good as well and I've heard some good things about siemens as well:)

I argee with Alicia here, many are popluar

oh yeah I grew up with Siemens from 96-05 LOL
Oticon is a good brand and I have a pair which I ♥ and better than my 1st pair which are 6 yrs old now, *will be 7 in January*

Don't go to costco. Get your hearing properly assessed by a professionally trained audiologist!

As for HA brands, I use Siemens and they work fine for me. BTEs are best because they offer many features, e.g. direct audio input, t-coil, directional microphones, bluetooth etc. that other smaller HAs do not have. Also, get HAs which have reserve power that can be used if your hearing loss should worsen.

Personally, I wear ME 1000 RIC HAs from Miracle Ear, I believe the HAs are made by Siemens. These have a lot of features that I didn't get, I wish I did now. At least the ipod feature anyways.

Don't go to costco. Get your hearing properly assessed by a professionally trained audiologist!

As for HA brands, I use Siemens and they work fine for me. BTEs are best because they offer many features, e.g. direct audio input, t-coil, directional microphones, bluetooth etc. that other smaller HAs do not have. Also, get HAs which have reserve power that can be used if your hearing loss should worsen.

Well I got my hearing assessed by a trained audiologist at a doctors office but for some reason my parents and I went to costco for the aides... I have no idea why, probably just because we've had no experience with aides and we had no idea certain aides had more features and power than others. But I agree, I will never go to costco again... they worked well for me and I feel like they were a good start for me to see how well I take care of them and handle them but I'm definitely ready for an upgrade. So far I'm hearing good things about Siemens and Oticons... my problems is I don't really have an audiologist that I trust so I might need to go shop around for someone who can look at my results and be honest about what aide might help me out the most.

Personally, I wear ME 1000 RIC HAs from Miracle Ear, I believe the HAs are made by Siemens. These have a lot of features that I didn't get, I wish I did now. At least the ipod feature anyways.

OH MAN!! I would LOVE an iPod feature... music is huge part of my life, and I didn't even know aides came with features like that! Maybe I'll look into that :) Thanks!

Well, I did get my hearing tested by an audiologist I just wasn't really educated on where or how to get hearing aids at that point :/ Anyway I've done some research and so far I like the Oticon chili/safari and the Phonak Naida and I think when I find an audiologist that is supported by my insurance I'll test both of these. I really like that the Siemens can be recharged but I have no idea which models are the best for my hearing or just overall... anyone have any experience with the newer Siemens models? I hear good things about the motion 701 but I'm not quite sure how the motion, life, and pure are much different other than size. Any opinions on them. I'd like to test one out and see which brand has a better or more natural sound quality. Thanks everyone for your input!

oh, no, please, not Costco!,
go to the licensed audiologist with a good reputation
and after a through testing to determine what kind of hearing aids do you need specifically to your hearing loss - pick some cool aides :)

Fuzzy

Did you do another hearing test?

It could be because your hearing aids stopped working or because your hearing has gotten worse. Considering your history, that's something you should consider before going to buy another hearing aid.

well I grew up with Siemens, then I got my 1st pair of Oticons which are old and of course, crap. LOL but I got another set of Oticons which are very strong enough for my bilateral severe loss!

HAHA! I love that everyone is disgusted by the Costco thing... I was 17, and I had no experience with hearing aids or audiologists or anything really so I just went with what my parents suggested... don't worry everyone, I'm much smarter than I was 4 years ago :) Thanks for the tips guys! I agree, I am looking into finding an audiologist with my insurance company so I can get tested again because with my luck I'm sure my hearing has worsened! Hopefully I'll get a nice and experienced audiologist who knows what brands and models of hearing aids will be best for me! I'm really wanting a fun design or color though... I'm tired of this boring beige crap! :)

Echoing the "go see an audiologist" chorus here.

I recently changed audiologists - while the new guy seems much more expensive than the previous one, they did a LOT more tests than the previous one ever did and seem a lot more 'scientific' about what they were doing.

I've always worn Phonak - they seem to work well for me. Wearing a set of Naida SP IX now, they are a huge improvement over my old Phonak Exelias.

I would recommend trying a few different brands - all the manufacturers have a different philosophy about writing software and designing hardware for hearing loss - you may find you prefer the sound of HA "A" rather than "B".

That's right, I was at first suggested the Phonak, almost went with it then
I tried Siemens on and I loved it even more!

In the past I used also Oticon and Beltone (Beltone was the worst crap I ever had, but then I had the cheapest HAs they had).

In the future I might like Phonak again or maybe Starkey, I don't know!
The Starkey RIC somebody here have are really cool ones! me likey!

Fuzzy

LOL well I loved the Siemens and my new Oticons more than my old Oticons which are crap now :)
well I ♥ Oticon again because of the cool stuff they have now like the streamer!

:wave: at Sarfarigirl2011

- what do you think will be your choice this time around, Cutiepijenae

Fuzzy

I am personal love Nakia :lol: hearing aid I would curious OP

he means the Phonak Naidas man, I almost went for that hearing aid but I blamed JennyB for making me get that Safari. :)

Back