What is your opinion on the drinking age in USA?

I've been drinking at family parties since I was 14/15 years old. This has helped me control my drinking and I know when to stop drinking. my first legal drink was on my 18th birthday and I got totally drunk. I dont drink much at all but when I do, it isnt very much

Interesting. I agreed about that they should goes down to either 18 or 19 for drinking but the bar, best is 21 due to driving, strangers and etc. But odd thing is... My brother went to join in the Army, that time he was ONLY 20 yrs old and he drank beer since army kids are allowing to drink alochol due to war that they will go. I think its odd. o.O

I've been drinking at family parties since I was 14/15 years old. This has helped me control my drinking and I know when to stop drinking. my first legal drink was on my 18th birthday and I got totally drunk. I dont drink much at all but when I do, it isnt very much
LOL, what did you learn the day after your 18th birthday?

Biggest problem about teen drinking is that it is taboo. Take away the danger and excitement of breaking the law, and you won't have much of a teen drinking problem. This is why teen alcohol consumption is not really a problem in European countries, that and the fact that children are instructed in proper drinking etiquette from the time they are young children. It's the same deal with pot: make it legal, and I guarantee that the amount of teenagers smoking it will drop, not to mention all the drug cartels and crime surrounding dealing it.

Exactly! Also with the younger age, they learn to drink in a responsible way because it is a common thing. They learn to ENJOY alcohol, not to drink to get drunk.

When I was 18, the laws here had just been changed to allow 18 to drink. A couple years later, it was raised to 19 because of seniors in high school; problems with some 18 legal and some 17 not legal. After a few more years, back to 21. Seems like 18 would be a fair age. My biggest concern is young drivers being allowed to drink in bars legally. Not sure on exact numbers, but I know younger drivers tend to be more accident prone. Having those same younger drivers being served legally at bars would likely increase this problem.

Hmm this is awkward for me. As I am 19 years old and I'm from England where the drinking age is 18. I think 21 is more sensible.

I agree with you. In Canada, the drinking age varies from 18-19 depending on the province... in Ontario it is 19. I think that it is a little too young to be drinking... even at 18 our brains are still developping.

It is confusing how they do have the legal age at 21, but an 18 year old can sign documents and get loans from a bank and are declared legally an adult. Also at 18, they can serve in the Army and fight wars.

Also children that are under the age of 18 that commits crimes can be charged as an adult.

:dunno: Confusing if you ask me.

no, not really confusing, once in the army, the sargents would shit them around make them hard men within 2 years training then go on missions, then return back home for that prized beer

a time when they find a girl to settle down with and achieve the prized beer belly while watching the NFL on ESPN.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the drinking age is 18 or 21 or 24, men will be men and there is always someone who's going to drink irresponsibly.

Personally, I don't care what the drinking age is, just as long as if and when the person is arrested for drunken driving or hurting/killing someone while doing it steps up to the plate and says, "Yes, out of my stupidity and selfishness, I did this crime. I don't deserve a plea bargain. I am guilty, no question about it."

We, in the United States, have way too many drunks that don't take responsibility for anything and are quick to blame anyone and everyone else for their actions. We have way too many "programs" to "help" people quit drinking. They work as effectively as the chances are for me to become pregnant.

I favor a permanent ban to driving "PRIVILEGES" to anyone and everyone driving, caught and convicted. Automatic death penalty to those who kill or severly disable someone because of their drunkenness. No appeals.

In my opinion, I dont think having a drinking age would really make a difference. There are people of legal age drinking irresponsibility just as those who are underage. I say, lower it to 18 years old.

Personally, I don't care what the drinking age is, just as long as if and when the person is arrested for drunken driving or hurting/killing someone while doing it steps up to the plate and says, "Yes, out of my stupidity and selfishness, I did this crime. I don't deserve a plea bargain. I am guilty, no question about it."

We, in the United States, have way too many drunks that don't take responsibility for anything and are quick to blame anyone and everyone else for their actions. We have way too many "programs" to "help" people quit drinking. They work as effectively as the chances are for me to become pregnant.
I favor a permanent ban to driving "PRIVILEGES" to anyone and everyone driving, caught and convicted. Automatic death penalty to those who kill or severly disable someone because of their drunkenness. No appeals.

Pek1, What does the phrase mean with the bold one like "They work as effectively as the chances are for me to become pregnant"? I have never heard of this and I thought you are a man. Are you referring to a woman having a chance getting pregnant while drinking alcohol drunk? I am confuse. So help me clarify that for me, please. :ty: :scratch:

Pek1, What does the phrase mean with the bold one like "They work as effectively as the chances are for me to become pregnant"? I have never heard of this and I thought you are a man. Are you referring to a woman having a chance getting pregnant while drinking alcohol drunk? I am confuse. So help me clarify that for me, please. :ty: :scratch:

He is comparing the effectiviness of the alcohol programs to his chances of getting pregnant meaning the programs do not work at all just like there is no chance of him getting pregnant since he is a man. It is an anology and I think it was a good one. However, it doesnt mean I agree with it.

He is comparing the effectiviness of the alcohol programs to his chances of getting pregnant meaning the programs do not work at all just like there is no chance of him getting pregnant since he is a man. It is an anology and I think it was a good one. However, it doesnt mean I agree with it.

I see. I did not know that. Thank you for clarifying it up for me, Shel. :hmm: :cool2:

I personally think it should be lowered to 18. You can die for your country at 18 but not crack a beer?!?! I think it's ridiculous. My friend in England says that because the age is 18 over there, that drinking isn't that big of a deal then.

I see. I did not know that. Thank you for clarifying it up for me, Shel. :hmm: :cool2:

Bebonang,

That's the only thing I could think of at the time.

If England "doesn't have a problem with it," I'd like to see the stats on it.

Maybe they should require a high school diploma?

age 16 sounds good if you are around that age, same goes for 18. I prefer 21+. I can't stand annoying 16 and 18 year old little drunks making all this trouble.

hence the reasons for the 2-stage age restriction i suggested..... look at my post up the scroll

the youngster have to prove their maturity to handle the drinks, and if they dont they will be restricted to 'restricted consumption' until age of 30...

i think its a bloody good idea dont you think?
the twenties knows more now but they are getting more and more permanently stuck at teenager-thinking mindset its not funny....

hence the reasons for the 2-stage age restriction i suggested..... look at my post up the scroll

the youngster have to prove their maturity to handle the drinks, and if they dont they will be restricted to 'restricted consumption' until age of 30...

i think its a bloody good idea dont you think?
the twenties knows more now but they are getting more and more permanently stuck at teenager-thinking mindset its not funny....

I know many people in their 40's that act as mature as a 13 y/o! ;)

Back