What is your average temp in your house/apt?

SneakerNet

Retired
Premium Member
Reaction score
I set my temp to 73 during the evening, but during the work day, when no one in the house, the temp auto drop to 67.

My step daughter think it's little too cold for winter temp.

What is your average temp setting??

About 62. Iowa is a cold state, and I am not rich! :P

68 when we're here. Though I have kicked it up 1 or 2 degrees a few times. I think I have it set for 65 (or maybe 62) for when we're not home.
If I wasn't trying to save $$, I probably would have it set at 72/68.
My bedroom doesn't have HVAC (vents), so I have a space heater in there. Again, trying to save money I turn it on about an hour before I go to bed then turn it off when I'm ready to go to sleep. I have an electric mattress pad, flannel sheets & several layers of blankets to keep me warm during the night. The space heater has a remote control so I can turn it on in the morning without getting out of bed.
READY FOR SPRING!!!

About 62. Iowa is a cold state, and I am not rich! :P

62 is not bad though. I like it cooler, you can always use a blanket. But if it is hot there is only so much you can take off. Lol.

Depends on my wood stove mood, usually 76-78 degrees but can be as high as 85 degrees, or as lowest as 68 which automatically kicks in gas furnace.

Gas bill for my heating? Everybody can afford, and is best price anyone can have.

How much I pay for firewood? A: nada, zip, zero, nano, whatever... oh, it is free really. All I need to get these firewood is chain saw, ax, and my baby truck.

I set at 71-72 during winter and set at 68 during summer.

62 is not bad though. I like it cooler, you can always use a blanket. But if it is hot there is only so much you can take off. Lol.

True. I own many thermal clothing, and my husband just bought me a Carhartt vest. (He is so romantic!)

Between 65 to 68...I can't sleep when I am hot.

Houston, Texas

Winter - if it's cold enough, the AC thermostat reads 65-69 degrees (accuracy, I don't know) without heat. I leave the heat off all day except in the morning when I get up. That gets up to 80 while I shower, and then I turn it off as soon as I'm ready to put my clothes on. Sometimes I'll turn it off just after I step out of the shower if it gets too hot. Electric bill - $30-40/mo.

Summer, AC thermostat reads about 78-81 (I rarely use AC because I have neighbors upstairs and all around except the east side, which faces the morning sun, giving me plenty of light to work by). Electric bill - $18-23 per mo.

Depends on my wood stove mood, usually 76-78 degrees but can be as high as 85 degrees, or as lowest as 68 which automatically kicks in gas furnace.

Gas bill for my heating? Everybody can afford, and is best price anyone can have.

How much I pay for firewood? A: nada, zip, zero, nano, whatever... oh, it is free really. All I need to get these firewood is chain saw, ax, and my baby truck.

I have the hook up for 3 wood burners, possibly 4 if I want in my house and that will be my primary heat. I actually went yesterday and finnished cutting some downed trees on the property that whoever downed before and somewhat sorted/stacked by size. I have a few more dead standing timber a buddy and I will fell this weekend and alot more trees I dont want around the house. There are 4 monster oak trees close to the house Im going to have to hire a professional to take down, but the ones away from the house Im gonna have fun with...lol
I have offered to share some wood with anyone willing to come help cut but amazing who wants it free and not help. The stuff already down is pretty well seasoned if not already rotting, the stuff standing is pretty solid, and the others are still very much healthy just I dont want all the trees, Keeping 2 nice birch trees off the side of the house to build a treehouse for my son later down the road.

anyways.. I like my house toasty and comfortable in the winter around 78 or so, but I can tolerate the cold as well (former water utility worker used to working in freezing conditions in water) But hate getting out of a hot shower into a freezing room...lol
Now A/C is a different story, I love it cold in the summer. I cant take the heat like I once did working in Forrestry or street department, I think all the surgeries took a toll on me?
Like Diehard states, heating with wood, we basically have no heating bill, just a gas bill for running a cook stove.

Yeah, nice to have plenty of trees in backyard. I only have 5 trees and ain't cutting them down. I love trees and wanted stay that way. I only cut dead trees. Usually I find people wants trees cut down though Craigslist. Few of them, I had to turn down. For instance you just said monster oak trees close to house, same thing for me.

I hope in future I buy acreage property with tons of trees around. Only time will tell. There is one 77 acres of land for $117k, including two buildings along with mineral rights. And it is next to state park, damn it! wish I can afford at this time, another time I guess.

I have the hook up for 3 wood burners, possibly 4 if I want in my house and that will be my primary heat. I actually went yesterday and finnished cutting some downed trees on the property that whoever downed before and somewhat sorted/stacked by size. I have a few more dead standing timber a buddy and I will fell this weekend and alot more trees I dont want around the house. There are 4 monster oak trees close to the house Im going to have to hire a professional to take down, but the ones away from the house Im gonna have fun with...lol
I have offered to share some wood with anyone willing to come help cut but amazing who wants it free and not help. The stuff already down is pretty well seasoned if not already rotting, the stuff standing is pretty solid, and the others are still very much healthy just I dont want all the trees, Keeping 2 nice birch trees off the side of the house to build a treehouse for my son later down the road.

anyways.. I like my house toasty and comfortable in the winter around 78 or so, but I can tolerate the cold as well (former water utility worker used to working in freezing conditions in water) But hate getting out of a hot shower into a freezing room...lol
Now A/C is a different story, I love it cold in the summer. I cant take the heat like I once did working in Forrestry or street department, I think all the surgeries took a toll on me?
Like Diehard states, heating with wood, we basically have no heating bill, just a gas bill for running a cook stove.

For winter, I would do like 68-69 when home. I'm not sure why it is on when not home. If I knew I was going out for the day or maybe few days, I turn off the thermostat. No reason to have it running if no one(human or pets) are home.

If, for too long furnace turned off and ONCE the temperature inside your house hits 32 degree or colder, you will cry for sure!

Never fully turn off furnace during winter time where the outside temp falls below 32 degrees. Suggested turn thermostat down to minimum 45 degrees.

Can you tell me why you think you will cry?

For winter, I would do like 68-69 when home. I'm not sure why it is on when not home. If I knew I was going out for the day or maybe few days, I turn off the thermostat. No reason to have it running if no one(human or pets) are home.

I live in Tampa, FL so I even use the a/c throughout the winter. Depending on how active I am, 63 when I'm hot, 68 the rest of the time.

If, for too long furnace turned off and ONCE the temperature inside your house hits 32 degree or colder, you will cry for sure!

Never fully turn off furnace during winter time where the outside temp falls below 32 degrees. Suggested turn thermostat down to minimum 45 degrees.

Can you tell me why you think you will cry?

Hopefully pipes won't freeze. Thank for the tip.

Bingo! Yup, damages won't be cheap to repair once it happens. I have seen already. And the homeowner is responsible for damaged water meter as well, they aren't cheap.

And Insurance usually will not cover the damages, it is because it was due to owner's neglect. This is how they sees it.

Hopefully pipes won't freeze. Thank for the tip.

frigging freezing about 3degree under and expected go down to 13 in my area

Yeah, nice to have plenty of trees in backyard. I only have 5 trees and ain't cutting them down. I love trees and wanted stay that way. I only cut dead trees. Usually I find people wants trees cut down though Craigslist. Few of them, I had to turn down. For instance you just said monster oak trees close to house, same thing for me.

I hope in future I buy acreage property with tons of trees around. Only time will tell. There is one 77 acres of land for $117k, including two buildings along with mineral rights. And it is next to state park, damn it! wish I can afford at this time, another time I guess.

If you consider high speed internet as important, so I won't recommended you to live in rural or isolated forest due to lack of high speed internet. The satellite internet is still no good with strict cap on bandwidth.

The DSL in my area sucks because of slower speed and blurry quality on VP.

Back