What is your audiogram with a cochlear implant

radka73

Reaction score
I have a Nucleus cochlear implant 5.
My audiogram after activating and setting them on the frequencies 125-8000Hz 70-55-35-35-20-10-70 db

Wirelessly posted

my daughter is bilateral and both ears are at 25 db, straight across all frequencies.

I have a left ear CI and it's 30-35db across all frequencies

When she got her first CI, my child tested between 20 - 25db across the board. When she went bilateral, she tested at 15db for the most part, with a spike up to 20db at 2 points (at 500 and 3000).

We should be getting the full results of a recent test any day now -- we tested both aided and unaided to see where her residual hearing was (it has dropped in the past 3 years by ~5db, slowing a bit from the 10-15db drop experienced in her "better" unimplanted ear just before getting a second implant).

I was implanted at the age of 37 years. The operation was 09/06/2011. Activating Processor 11/07/2011
At these frequencies - the fifth set (125-8000Hz 70-55-35-35-20-10-70 db) clarity of test - used children's perceptual test of 70% at 70 db and 50 db at 40%

I was implanted at the age of 37 years. The operation was 09/06/2011. Activating Processor 11/07/2011
At these frequencies - the fifth set (125-8000Hz 70-55-35-35-20-10-70 db) clarity of test - used children's perceptual test of 70% at 70 db and 50 db at 40%

At first I thought you were a good time traveler! Then I realized that you are not in the US. We are different than many places and put the month/day/year. So, at first glance to me it looked like things happened in months that have not gotten here yet.

I am from the Czech Republic. I did not realize that in English-speaking countries is another sequence of data .....
Correction: In the Czech Republic, 9.6.2011 and 11.7.2011
are at 9 June 2011 and July 11, 2011

I am from the Czech Republic. I did not realize that in English-speaking countries is another sequence of data .....
Correction: In the Czech Republic, 9.6.2011 and 11.7.2011
are at 9 June 2011 and July 11, 2011

Somehow the US got started being "different" and stayed that way. We also don't use the metric system for measurements!

Have I managed to insert here my audiogram.
The right ear is no help. The left ear with a cochlear implant.

fkkl.png

Great results, and so quickly!

These are the results after 5 settings. What were your results after activation?

Wirelessly posted

radka73 said:
These are the results after 5 settings. What were your results after activation?

with the audiogram or with speech understanding?

This is the tone audiogram. Understanding the language setting of 5 is 70% understanding at 70 db and 40% to 50 db. Was used for understanding children's perception test.

Implanted 4 months back, activated 3.5 months back (as of July.24th.11), I got 10-12 db across all frequencies just a week after activation, my results are somehow unusual and my dr was kind of shocked, have Cochlear America

I've got what you have super shock result. It depends on what was the rehabilitation of hearing with hearing aids before implantation. What was your hearing loss? Length of deafness?

radka73, I was born normal hearing, started losing my hearing for unknown causes nearly 12 years back, I'm 36 now, my hearing got worse to like 60 db in both ears and by Dec.2010 at the time of my CI evaluation was around 70 db loss both ears, I have used hearing aids for over 10 years and have changed them over 5-6 times to new technologies and so on, I was researching CI as I was scared that one day I will wake up with no hearing as some on this board and other board had this experience and since I have top managerial position I could not afford getting this, I spoke to many people and at the time I spoke with the dr who did the surgery for me at Johns Hopkins (had to fly from LA to Baltimore to do it as I knew I had one shot at this), the dr told me the longer I wait, the more possibility my cortex in my brain start forgetting the sounds and uses that area for something else, I have used the phone extensively with my hearing aid, pushed myself to use every single headset the God had created, lol so I could hear good with it, so going with CI was so scary for me as I was afraid I will lose the ability to hear over the phone, but again my dr told me that he noticed that patients who used the phone before will have great chance to use it post CI, he was right at everything he told me about, I think many people can get the same but they may need time to train the brain, drs and type of implants also play roles.
Thanks GrendelQ for the like :)

In the U.S. it is implanted at 70 db hearing loss?
And to compare the hearing? How did you hear when you have normal hearing, and now with the implant?

Radka73, yes in the US we can get implanted at 70db loss if your speech perception score is less than 40 (not sure), mine was less than 30!!
My normal hearing was very balanced as it was both sides, with implant I only use the implant, no hearing aid in my other ear per my audi recommendation to accelerate the results, at first when I got activated I would feel that my brain have been cut in half since I was only hearing from one side, slowly my brain got used to it, but still the hearing is not balanced.
Now for the hearing part:
Human voices were not same at the beginning it took a while for me to get used to them, they are better in quality now but they are not like how I remember them when I was normal hearing, kind of more robotic, it does not matter really as your brain gets used to anything with time
Other sound are better in quality compared to voices, I do hear like what I used to be, well sometimes I feel I hear more, LOL, it depend if I'm relaxed or tense, for example I hear my cat licking/cleaning his coat/paw in the next room, I'm not sure if I heard this when I was normal hearing or may be I did but my brain scanned it out, I did not have same cat, lol, this cat is different
Music: heavy metal, Piano are very similar as when I was normal hearing, but guitar is awful not sure why, may be I need special mapping, I'm not complaining.

Normal hearing comes natural, both sides, flowing in ...., CI hearing is just to let you go through life and get you going, it will never feel same, what I have noticed it that whatever I used to understand or hear over the phone with my hearing aids just before my CI is the things that I hear now with CI, if there is a new word or something I had a difficulty before I still feel same and I'm trying to train my brain to take it and learn it, it seems that the cortex of our brain is the one that does the hearing not the inner ear (cochlea) at least in my case, it seems that the longer you have the CI the better that you can start to acquire more sounds and perceptions, so some people may need 2 years, others 3 years, if this is the case with anyone, just hang in there you will get to it.
The background noise bothered me a lot when I got activated, I could not imagine that I would ever go through it, I'm amazed now 3.5 month post activation how my brain took all the noise in and I no longer feel that things are noisy, this may be (IMO) the most important step that anyone needs to pass first to get the sounds coming, these sounds are not noise for normal hearing person, they are normal everyday sounds that they scanned them out and allowed the speech the flow through it, I hope you understood what I'm talking about, I do admit that I pushed myself hard to accept these sounds/noise/background noise as is and move on, may be this is paying off for me.

I know that no matter how long I will have the CI on it will never acts like my previous normal hearing, I'm glad where I'm now, I'm doing way better that the 2 hearing aids together at the max of their ability, this is enough for me, anything else will be an extra gift from the God.

In the Czech Republic, this candidate selection criteria:
Audiological conditions: bilateral deafness ("profound Deafness" as defined by WHO) and / or severe hearing loss
1.Tone audiogram: the average hearing loss at frequencies 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz are equal to or higher than 80 dB HL.
2.Tone audiogram with the hearing aid: the average hearing loss at frequencies 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz are greater than 40 dB HL.
3.Hearing aid with a maximum power output of at least 136 SSPL 90 has minimal effect on the substantial development of speech (ie, scores less than 40% in the understanding of sentences from an open file, less than 50% in the understanding of words from a closed file). They are tested at least three types of hearing aids.
4.The values ​​of hearing threshold determined by the SSEP (at frequencies of 0.5 - 4 kHz) or by BERA (using filtered clicks) are greater than 95 dB HL. Examination of otoacoustic emissions is usually negative.

LOL! You hear my cat licking/cleaning his coat/paw in the next room.
The fact I never dreamed of! I wore hearing aids from 4 years. I do not know what is normally heard. Cochlear implants have now 14 days
Birds still I did not hear.
After switching on the CPU - what was your speech discrimination?
For me, understanding words, 70% to 70 db and 50 db at 40%.

The first three days in the processor was to hear the piano! My technician said the good news. The brain perceives sounds, time is differentiate. After 3 days of piano disappeared. The processor is a strange sound - the sound of sirens and whirring. The technician said it is the interaction of the processor and the brain. In a few days or weeks it will disappear! The brain itself is displaced by unpleasant sounds.

Music: heavy metal, Piano are very similar as when I was normal hearing, but guitar is awful not sure why, may be I need special mapping, I'm not complaining.

Fl885, that's really interesting. My little girl has CIs and loves playing / hearing music that's heavy on piano, but I notice she really doesn't seem to like guitar, or even heavy orchestral music, anything with a lot of strings. Seems really similar to what you are experiencing. I've heard of several people getting some really intensive work done on their mapping to access the full range of music really well, it seems like a fascinating process, but we're probably a long way from that :). If you ever do find ways to bring in guitar sounds that you like, please post, I'd love to learn how you do it

Back