What is UP with lack of HD CC????

emt_me911

Reaction score
When I watch TV, I have to watch just plain digital cable. There is no CC on the hi-def and that is infuriating. I complained to my local cable company and did they do anything? No! They didn't even bother to respond.

Am I the only one upset about this? We have all of this modern technology but it seems that somewhere along the line, people forgot that deaf people like to watch (read) TV too. Jeez.

you have a right to complain about it
when you are paying for a service and it is unsatisfactory you should!
cc is usually paid for by various companies because it is a charitable donation and good public relations and for a network to not support is is inexcusable.:roll:

I have direct tv and have the CC on all HD channels. When my boyfriend and I started dating we realized that they did not work. So we had to contact the cable company to fix the CC on HD cannels, they said the reason it did not work was because our box was broken. If you contact your cable company and they tell you HD cannels dont have CC its BS, get direct TV. My boyfriend and I always wath them. :)

When I watch TV, I have to watch just plain digital cable. There is no CC on the hi-def and that is infuriating. I complained to my local cable company and did they do anything? No! They didn't even bother to respond.

Am I the only one upset about this? We have all of this modern technology but it seems that somewhere along the line, people forgot that deaf people like to watch (read) TV too. Jeez.

No, it's there, but it's tricky to turn on. You have to call technical support and tell them what equipment you have. Hopefully you'll get a good tech who can guide you through the process. It's fairly simple. I remember my friend having the same problem as you. When she called, the guy told her to turn off her cable box, then hold down on one of the buttons on her remote control (menu button I think) and a new menu would come up on the screen that allowed her to turn on CC for HD.

I don't have cable, I watch HD programming using the OTA antenna. The captioning works great on it.

If you're use digital box with antenna or ground cable. Turn CC from that digital box.

If you have HDTV with built-in digital CC, use it directly.

If you use fiber TV with box, turn CC from that box!

Law already pass but it's still dirty because none can go thru well for digital CC via cable. Coaxial is excellent via antenna to built-in TV tuner HDTV.

HD captions are NOT the same as SD ..

In SD ( normal /old style / low definition ) the captions are carried on the video signal itself ( inside the VBI ) , and decoded by the TV ..

for HD .. The caption information is "meta-data" included in the video stream. this needs to be decoded by whatever device is doing the "tuning"

It really very simple .. HD captions need to be enabled at whatever device does the "tuning" of the HD signal .. ( cable / satellite box ... or TV if you are using a normal antenna )

SD captions get turned on at the device that does the displaying. ( your tv )

filing a complaint with the FCC before you understand the problem is really less then helpful .. please always speak to someone knowledgeable about the issue before filing a complaint .. ESPECIALLY when you have never had the captions working at all.

HD captions are NOT the same as SD ..

In SD ( normal /old style / low definition ) the captions are carried on the video signal itself ( inside the VBI ) , and decoded by the TV ..

for HD .. The caption information is "meta-data" included in the video stream. this needs to be decoded by whatever device is doing the "tuning"

It really very simple .. HD captions need to be enabled at whatever device does the "tuning" of the HD signal .. ( cable / satellite box ... or TV if you are using a normal antenna )

SD captions get turned on at the device that does the displaying. ( your tv )

filing a complaint with the FCC before you understand the problem is really less then helpful .. please always speak to someone knowledgeable about the issue before filing a complaint .. ESPECIALLY when you have never had the captions working at all.

Why is that sometimes it work for some HD shows and doesn't work for others. I do know how to use my HD cable settop, and even change the font setting. It is just frustrating to find the one that work.. and the captioning is scambled up all the time.

We had HD cable for a long time now, and captioning is still a problem. I hope someone in the engineering department in dealing with HDMI are using their brain to improve this issue as more and more people are turning to HD.

Your cable company should have been able to help you with this as it is their settop box.

Are you use "On Demand" to watch streaming?

Why is that sometimes it work for some HD shows and doesn't work for others. I do know how to use my HD cable settop, and even change the font setting. It is just frustrating to find the one that work.. and the captioning is scambled up all the time.

We have HD for a long time now, and captioning is still a problem. I hope someone in the engineering department are using their brain to improve this issue as more and more people are turning to HD.

"scrambled" captions are a different story .. There is not much the end user can do about them in HD.

in HD there is error correction and detection .. what you see in the captions .. is exactly what is being sent. in SD 'scrambled' captions could be a signal problem.

I would complain to the cable company first .. noting the times / channels that it happens on .. if they cant fix it .. THEN you complain to the fcc ..

Here is a link to the fcc captions complaint form

FCC Consumer Complaints

I recently bought new 50" HDTV and I have comcast cable. For a whole week, I tried many different ways to make CC show up thru my DVD player, it never worked. BUT...I just finally figured out how to get CC thru DVD player this morning and I must pass this on and hopefully this will help others!

In order for your CC to show through your HDTV, your DVD player will only connect to the TV alone (bypassing cable box) - here are the steps that I did to make it work:

1) connect coaxial cable from DVD player to TV's "In Antenna".
2) Connect RCA cables (red/white/yellow) from DVD to TV's "In Video".
3) On your TV's menu - Click on Setup (look for wrench icon), click on "Input labels" and scroll down to "Video 1" and chose "DVR".

This way when you click on "Input" from your TV's remote to change between cable and DVD player and still be able to watch old DVDs with CC!

By the way, I used component cable from my cable setup box to TV (not the HDMI cable).

Enjoy!

Back