What is the sign for...

amandaraemay

Reaction score
Hello, I work at an assisted living home (a home for the elderly). My friend who is Deaf will be volunteering with us soon. I am struggling with how to sign "RESIDENT." What is the sign for resident? So I don't have to keep signing "OLD PERSON" when talking about the group of people who live with us, since 'resident' is the most common title that we refer to them as.

I would hate to make-up a sign for resident. I've looked up online for signs, but all I can find is RESIDENCE (similar to the LIVING sign). I thought a clever way to sign RESIDENT would be to sign LIVING with with R's instead of L's. I'd prefer to use the correct sign, of course.

Thanks! :ty:

I would, but they aren't receiving medical attention, like a patient in a hospital would be. Plus, I'd like to be able to sign things such as "I am a resident of blah blah town," or "I am a resident at blah blah apartment complex," etc.

I would, but they aren't receiving medical attention, like a patient in a hospital would be. Plus, I'd like to be able to sign things such as "I am a resident of blah blah town," or "I am a resident at blah blah apartment complex," etc.
For those situations you would just use LIVE. You live in the town/apartment complex.

Oh. If you want to use it that way, go look at aslpro.com. The sign is in the main dictionary there.

For those situations you would just use LIVE. You live in the town/apartment complex.

:wave: For some reason this post didn't show up when I gave my sterling advice! :P

But if she follows mine, she will see what you mean.

Bottesini< @ Linda You so smart... I never think of the right answer when i need it the most .I hope you have gotten your home taken care of. Thanks for being there for all of us..

Bottesini< @ Linda You so smart... I never think of the right answer when i need it the most .I hope you have gotten your home taken care of. Thanks for being there for all of us..

Yes thank you. :) The tree is down and cut into sections for hopefully constructing a memorial fence .

And as of this week, the rain gutter is reattached, although I think it may need replaced in the spring.

My uncle lives in a care residence - we always use CLIENT to refer to anyone who lives there.

I was in nursing and when we refer to residents we use resident or client interchangeably so I'd suggest the sign for client should be good enough

Back