What is the Musical Experience to the deaf community?

humanbydavis

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Hope you are well. As a member of the hearing community I've been fascinated by sound. I took piano as a child and fell in love with it. A close family member of mine is deaf and really enjoys music although she has no implants or hearing aids.

I've been curious what it's like to not be distracted by the sounds of music, I've been wondering what it's' like to just feel it. So I'm wondering what music is to individuals within the deaf community who have chosen to "keep it natural" in the sense of not getting hearing aids. Are you still able to feel the emotional connection when a song plays through the vibrations? Is it something you think about? Whats the best part of the experience for you? I want to know what it is like.

A hearing person tends to process music differently than a person who is deaf. We rely heavily on our sense of sound to give us a large part of what a particular song has to offer, but the one aspect of music that doesn't need to be heard is the part that can trigger emotions and feelings... and that's harmony.

(p.s - if you have implants or hearing aids still feel free to post about what music is like for you. Before and after would be a beautiful thing to share!)

there quite a few deaf musicians and I know of ballet prima donna...I went deaf 30 and found it hard using my whole body to appreciate music but i do now...why don't you google deaf musicians and dancers as you asking question that people can only give subjective answer to.
i do remember 'imagine'john lennon and for some reason 'jail house rock'i like read words at same time

Thats very interesting and a great suggestion. I've heard of a couple deaf musicians and bands. When I return home I'll post some of my favorites!

Subjective answer types are sometimes the most enlightening. What's important is that we explain our experiences the best way we can. I mean, that's the beauty of life... when we share we allow others to understand us, relate to us.

I've gone through some pages of this forum and read related topics. I feel theres still very few post focused on this. It's abstract and that's whats beautiful about it. If there are post - direct me towards them, please.

Would you say reading the words is more important than seeing "a laser light show?" Personally words mean very little to me and I'm more focused on the lighting affects and how they 'alter' my vision. I feel particularly moved when I feel the bass in my chest... it almost feels like it slows my heart beat.

There is a thread here -- I think it's "Deaf Musicians" that may give you some insight. Maybe not so much for how we feel/hear music, but at least for those who play music, how it works for them.

I've been looking though other categories here. I found that the Technology one has some interesting stuff. I'll keep looking around and hopefully I'll stumble across something!

If anyone sees anything around this forum that relates please post! Share!

I know there are multiple post about must but this forum is different. Share your favorite songs. Tell us what type of music you play in your car. Do you get the vibrations stuck in your head?

This is about how music makes us feel. It's as abstract as dreaming - there is no right answer

Back