What is the most important thing about travelling for you?

Why do you travel?

• Mainly for business

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Getting away from my home and work life and relax

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Visiting other countries and learn their cultures

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Going somewhere for its food, beach or nightlife

• Going to parks and do adventrous activities

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Spending my hard earned money

• Other reason that is not listed here (tell us why, please)

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I just travel because I just like it.

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
K

kuifje75

Why do you travel? What are the things you enjoy most?

Let us all know why you like to travel? We're all different so I'm sure there will be a number of different reasons.

I could have picked other reasons as well, but mainly, I love to travel to see what kind of history and culture the area has to offer. I also go for their food as well, always trying something new to taste.

i love taking road trips ignoring the main throughfares favoring the back roads/historic roads and going thru various small towns that are rich in history

I like going to other countries to learn new things! :D
If I had to go anywhere in USA, it'd be to do adventureous activites.. whitewater rafting, exploring caverns, camping out and all. ;)

yes, i love travelling to different places for my pleasures especially climbing and hiking. i travel almost every weekend. also, i love meeting amazing climbers from the world and we share the routes and problems (that is another word for a route that you boulder on.) i wud love to meet these deaf climbers. it is very dificult to find those serious climbers (not beginner). right now my friend and i are working on 'deaf climbers gathering' and hopefully we will meet those serious deaf climbers at the gathering nare boulder, co. next year.

and, of course, i go to fl for beaches and my good friends from my college.

What I enjoy are things that look interesting. I also like to look for fun when traveling.

When traveling, I prefer to stay in a place long enough to get some local feelings...taste regional dishes, learn their culture and customs, see what locals do there, etc. I try to avoid tourist traps, but some are neat to visit. The best way to explore is to get lost. A friend and I got lost in Siena, a city in Tuscany, Italy. We got to see things that we wouldn't have seen if we followed travel guides and maps. I do not like city-hopping, as some of my friends did in Europe. I think it is hard to learn and appreciate if I don't stay in a place long enough.

someday i do HOPE i get the opportunity to go abroad and explore the rich histories there -- the only thing i DONT like envisioning is the LONGGGGGGGGG flight -- hate being cramped on a flight that is more than 8 hrs long :(

I do exactly the same as PaxThoreau does.

When I was in Venezia with my ex, we just walked aimlessly around the mazes of the streets and canals of Venezia. That was awesome, and we saw a lot of cool things. We also hung out in the local markets and saw some seafood and food they were selling. I will never forget my time in Venezia.

I also love the idea of outdoors adventures like camping, hiking, mountains, etc... Just being with nature, enjoying the beautiful landscapes and taking it all in. I hope to do a lot of that in the future.

Originally posted by kuifje75
[B
I also love the idea of outdoors adventures like camping, hiking, mountains, etc... Just being with nature, enjoying the beautiful landscapes and taking it all in. I hope to do a lot of that in the future. [/B]

i so totally agree with u Kuifje!!!!! i love doing that :thumb:

come to think of it i can start with the central and south americas without having to fly i can just drive across (NOT with my car due to the warnings about Mexico yikes) or something -- or just simply go backpacking with friends who are equally adventurous to do this kind of thing -- i just know i keep seeing spanishlike buldings and etc and something tells me i should someday go to San Salvador, El Salvador :dunno: if that is an accurate answer or not -- only way to find out is to just go down to El Salvador and looky for myself

I do exactly the same as PaxThoreau does.

When I was in Venezia with my ex, we just walked aimlessly around the mazes of the streets and canals of Venezia. That was awesome, and we saw a lot of cool things. We also hung out in the local markets and saw some seafood and food they were selling. I will never forget my time in Venezia.

Oh...you too! I got lost in Venezia too. The city is like a big labyrinth. Intricate streets and canals. It was amazing. As I was leaving the city, I promised myself to return someday. Did you watch the first (I think) episode of Amazing Race 4 last Thursday? Venice was the setting. It was funny, because nearly everyone got lost in the city. They kept on asking for directions. I guess everyone who goes there is destined to get lost.

I'd definitely love to travel to Europe and Asia for my 40th birthday in 10 years. Before that, I want to travel to Malaysia and experience the country and the culture. I have learned the Malay language and it's extremely beautiful. There's a city I want to visit, it's called Kuala Lumpur. In Kuala Lumpur, there's the Batu Caves, the Batu Caves are pretty famous for its 276 steps. There's a story attached to the 276 steps, with each step you take to get up to the top of the Batu Caves, you lose a sin. There's no elevators only the stairs. A lot of people of the Hindu faith go to the Batu Caves to worship their fertility gods there. I've seen several documentaries about Malaysia and I want to travel there. There's also a very special guy that I care so much for and he's from Malaysia. He has taught me so much about his home and I've come to truly appreciate his culture and country. :D

Originally posted by PaxThoreau
Oh...you too! I got lost in Venezia too. The city is like a big labyrinth. Intricate streets and canals. It was amazing. As I was leaving the city, I promised myself to return someday. Did you watch the first (I think) episode of Amazing Race 4 last Thursday? Venice was the setting. It was funny, because nearly everyone got lost in the city. They kept on asking for directions. I guess everyone who goes there is destined to get lost.

No, I haven't seen The Amazing Race for a while, but you are right, I remember seeing them going through the Alps in Munich and Innsbrück. I love that TV show. Did they just start showing it? Anyway, :whip: back to topic! hee hee... yeah I was always lost in Venezia, but that was the point of just walking around aimlessly, and finding a lot of cool things. Did you like these masks they make there? They were awesome! I bought one for my parents. It was expensive!!!

No, I haven't seen The Amazing Race for a while, but you are right, I remember seeing them going through the Alps in Munich and Innsbrück. I love that TV show. Did they just start showing it? Anyway, :whip: back to topic! hee hee... yeah I was always lost in Venezia, but that was the point of just walking around aimlessly, and finding a lot of cool things. Did you like these masks they make there? They were awesome! I bought one for my parents. It was expensive!!!

Yes, the Amazing Race 4 has begun. The episode from last Thursday was the first one. You can find more info at www.cbs.com. It has neat pages for AR4.

Masks! Oh yes, they were awesome, but expensive. I fell in love with a blue crescent mask, but I couldn't afford it. It was about 300 dollars and I was an unemployed, starving college student at that time. Instead I bought a fiery red mask with a long beak. It was the cheapest one I could find. :laugh2: I had to get rid of some clothes in my backpack to make room for the mask. I wrapped it with tees and gently fitted it into the backpack. It survived the trip...chipped! I dont have it anymore. My ex sold it at a yard sale without realizing its significance. :roll:

I love the bridges in Venice; short and long, wide and narrow, ancient and modern. I stood still on a secluded bridge for a while and watched gondolas plying the canal. It was mesmerizing.

Originally posted by Freaky
In Kuala Lumpur, there's the Batu Caves, the Batu Caves are pretty famous for its 276 steps. There's a story attached to the 276 steps, with each step you take to get up to the top of the Batu Caves, you lose a sin.

276 sins? :shock: I have a lot of work to do before visiting there.

My friend from work and his partner went to Malaysia and Thailand last year. They are seasoned world travelers and have been to many places, but they couldn't believe how friendly people were in Malaysia and Thailand. Strangers invited them into their homes and insisted that they stay to eat. They took many beautiful pictures... lush greeneries, colorful buildings, and especially the people there. They also showed me several pictures of a beautiful temple surrounded with phallic statues.

I love Asian food, especially Thai, so I definitely want to go there someday. I am always up for some gastronomic adventures. :)

Awww man, one thing that I can easily say about travelling, is that souvenirs are very important to me. I love taking photos of my travels and putting information leaflets together, etc... I also "take" souvenirs from places, hee hee. :-D I have several train destination signs in my souvenir box! I am thinking of making my own album one day, using the train destination signs as covers.

Awww, your ex sold your mask. My mum still has it up in the kitchen, of all the places. Whenever I see it, it always reminds me of the magic time I had in Venice.

I also would love to visit Thailand one day. I am also very mad about Thai cuisine, especially the hot red, yellow or green curry on rice. Yummmm! I have a friend who is from Thailand, and she is sooooooo nice.

I would personally say that I want to use my purpose of travel to visit other countries and its cultures... England and Scotland, here I come!!!

For a quick travel, I would like to escape somewhere else that can be relaxing - such as B&B and camping nearby for a wekend.

I am already getting bored of USA, but in order to get around in USA, I will simply make arrangements to reunite with friends all over the country and stay with them for few days. That's why I really enjoyed myself with my recent trip earlier this month to Rhode Island and Cape Cod to see friends and did some boating.

Sex.... I need to plug in to be recharged.... travelling can be draining on ones body... :lol:

nah.... I travel for meetings etc etc.... hardly have the time for any local skirt-chasing...

I want to visit and trip to europes and other countries and also I want to learn about their cultures.

Back