What is the best way to meet other deaf/hard of hearing people in your community?

BethanyDawn

Reaction score
Hello. This may seem like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know. I am a hearing impaired person who would like to find a way to socialize with other hard of hearing and deaf people. My family is hearing and I feel lonely and would like to find people who understand where I am coming from and the things that I deal with on a regular basis. What is the best way to go about finding friends or a social group for hard of hearing and deaf people in my area? I just found this website today and am very excited about it, but it would also be nice to be able to meet with people face to face.

Moved to Our World, Our Culture
Moderator naisho

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new hoh, for me, it has been taking ASL classes and going to Deaf social and checking state's Deaf association <affiliate of NAD> for events; there may also be ALDA chapter near you<Association of Late Deafened Adults>. Though you may not be late-deaf, they may have contacts for you there for other possibilities. Also while it doesn't work for me as I'm Jewish, there are oftentimes church services or affiliated groups focusing on any combination of: hoh/d/Deaf/ASL classes - services.
You can also see if there is a d/Deaf/hoh center in your area, or see about Starbucks Deaf socials if that works for you.

Bethany, both of my parents are deaf and live in Atoka, which is not far from Cordova at all. I've tried to get them onto this forum but they seem to be sticking to facebook. I'm sure they would add you as a friend if you on FB.

Welcome to AllDeaf. I have several relatives and friends in the Memphis area. I miss the city and BBQ! I grew up on the east side of Tennessee.

They used to have deaf social/gatherings once a month at Oak Court mall and Wolfchase Galleria and some other places throughout Memphis and Southaven (Miss). I am kinda out of loop - haven't really kept up with them for a while.

You may want to contact Wally Hodge over at Memphis Deaf Community for more info. He is the guy that helped to bring the deaf/hard-of-hearing community together.

There is several churches that have deaf population. Kirby Woods Baptist Church and White Station Church of Christ are several that I could remember of.

I can remember going to the Putt Putt on Summer Ave. for Deaf gatherings. I always had a blast.

maybe take one asl class in order to start with something that leads to the deaf community. that's all i can think of. =?

There is a Chatatoogna Deaf community..do u live close to that city?

Hello. This may seem like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know. I am a hearing impaired person who would like to find a way to socialize with other hard of hearing and deaf people. My family is hearing and I feel lonely and would like to find people who understand where I am coming from and the things that I deal with on a regular basis. What is the best way to go about finding friends or a social group for hard of hearing and deaf people in my area? I just found this website today and am very excited about it, but it would also be nice to be able to meet with people face to face.

Well Bethany, if your family ever wander into Salt Lake City Utah, let me know and well have an awesome party at my house :)

am a hearing impaired person who would like to find a way to socialize with other hard of hearing and deaf people. My family is hearing and I feel lonely and would like to find people who understand where I am coming from and the things that I deal with on a regular basis
I would contact the Deaf Schools and see if they might be able to hook you up with anything. How old are you? You interested in college? You could look into NTID and Gally or community colleges/colleges with strong dhh programs/communities.

When I first moved to Memphis I took a few classes at Deaf Connect. It's here in MidTown and gave me a lot of connections to the deaf community.

Hello, My name is Brenda. I live in Sevierville, Tn. I read what u posted, i feel the same way. I really do understand what u r coming from. I use to have alot of deaf and hard of hearing friends but they all moved different direction. If u want to chat let me know.

Back