What is the best science fiction/fantasy movie ever?

Ziusudra

Reaction score
I've got so many favourites, I simply can't decide. There are so many classics out there, the Star Trek movies, Contact, E.T., Aliens and so much more. What do you think is the best?

Depends on what you mean "best." Do you mean technical, special effects quality, storytelling ability, emotional impact, characterization, or maybe a blend of all the aspects? There are some old b&w movies that had excellant stories but pitiful special effects. There are some movies with mind-blasting special effects, but no meaningful plot or characters.

Best plot. Definitely the best plot. It's the story that matters the most, although special effects help.

The Dark Crystal, I really liked. I saw it for the first time ever last year and enjoyed it. The Labyrinth wasn't bad, but I liked the Dark Crystal more. The Never-Ending Story and Flight of the Navigator are my favourite fantasy movies as well as the Princess Bride.

Best Choice for Science Fiction: Cowboy Bebop: Knockin` on Heaven`s Door or Ghost in the Shell 2: INNOCENCE.

Best Choice for Fantasy: The NeverEnding Story or Lord of the Rings.

I pick these science fiction titles because of plot-wise and other things.

Last edited:
Magatsu said:
Best Choice for Fantasy: The NeverEnding Story or Lord of the Rings

Oh yes, The Neverending Story. I have that movie on DVD, though I wish they would bring out a 2 disc edition to show us how this movie was made, and more.

But yes, it's a great movie. One of the my favourites, though I don't like to speak of the sequels.

Ridley Scott's Legend... stunning and beautiful. It did flop back in the 80s, and got panned with bad reviews. But the problem with the critics is that they're all stuck-up snobs who prefer "art house" films.

Clash of the Titans is pretty good too. Terry Gilliam's Brazil, it's a mixture of comedy and fantasy and it's damn good. The Dark Crystal... brilliant, great uses of puppets. Labrynth was pretty good too, though there are a couple special effects shots that I'll like to see fixed due to bad uses of masking.

I remember I liked watching this movie as a kid, it was called Dragonslayer. Anybody remember that one?

Banjo said:
Oh yes, The Neverending Story. I have that movie on DVD, though I wish they would bring out a 2 disc edition to show us how this movie was made, and more
I don't have a DVD yet but I will have to buy someday.

Banjo said:
though I don't like to speak of the sequels.
Ditto. These sequels are the biggest disappointments.

Magatsu said:
I don't have a DVD yet but I will have to buy someday.

Ditto. These sequels are the biggest disappointments.

and they even made at least 2 TV series out of franchise and both were horrible, especially the live-action verison. Just when I thought the third movie was one of the worst things I've ever seen, I was wrong. The TV show was the worst thing ever.

Banjo said:
Clash of the Titans is pretty good too.
Yes, that is definitely good movie.

Banjo said:
I remember I liked watching this movie as a kid, it was called Dragonslayer. Anybody remember that one?
Ah yes, I remember that one too. That's quite old but good.

I forget to mention one more best fantasy movie: Legend. I remember when I was young, that movie was quite popular.

Magatsu said:
I forget to mention one more best fantasy movie: Legend. I remember when I was young, that movie was quite popular.

Which I already had mentioned. :laugh2:

Banjo said:
and they even made at least 2 TV series out of franchise and both were horrible, especially the live-action verison. Just when I thought the third movie was one of the worst things I've ever seen, I was wrong. The TV show was the worst thing ever.
What!?! TV series? Oh my goodness... I wouldn't be surprise if it sucks badly.

Banjo said:
Which I already had mentioned. :laugh2:
Ah, I was thinking that you were speaking of other Legend but apparently that I am wrong.

Have you ever watch 'The Tenth Kingdom'? I loved it. It is hilarious to watch.

Magatsu said:
What!?! TV series? Oh my goodness... I wouldn't be surprise if it sucks badly.

http://www.iciweb.com/NeverendingStory/wwwroot/

TALES FROM THE NEVERENDING STORY
WINS GRAND PRIZE FOR BEST PROGRAM,
ALL CATEGORIES AT THE 2003 AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE,
GIVEN BY THE ALLIANCE FOR CHILDREN AND TELEVISION ON JUNE 2, 2003.

Can't believe they were given the grand prize for best program. Don't let the pictures fool you.

Magatsu said:
Ah, I was thinking that you were speaking of other Legend but apparently that I am wrong.

Have you ever watch 'The Tenth Kingdom'? I loved it. It is hilarious to watch.

Ridley Scott directed Legend, that's why I referred to it as Ridley Scott's Legend. :)

Actually, I haven't seen it yet. You are speaking of the mini-series, yes? Since you mentioned the title, I'll have to rent that movie. There's so many titles coming out and you may as well forget some of the movies that you have yet to see.

Banjo said:
http://www.iciweb.com/NeverendingStory/wwwroot/

Can't believe they were given the grand prize for best program. Don't let the pictures fool you.
It is weird that they would give it a high rating. I am going to take your words on it. Thanks for information & link.

Banjo said:
Actually, I haven't seen it yet. You are speaking of the mini-series, yes? Since you mentioned the title, I'll have to rent that movie. There's so many titles coming out and you may as well forget some of the movies that you have yet to see.
Yeah, it is mini-serie and it was great. I would recommend you to rent and watch. About other titles, yeah I wouldn't surprise if there is other good titles that I haven't watch yet. In that case, do you have any recommendation for me to rent/buy and watch?

Magatsu said:
It is weird that they would give it a high rating. I am going to take your words on it. Thanks for information & link.

Yeah, it is mini-serie and it was great. I would recommend you to rent and watch. About other titles, yeah I wouldn't surprise if there is other good titles that I haven't watch yet. In that case, do you have any recommendation for me to rent/buy and watch?

Well, what I'm about to recommend isn't quite the "fantasy" films that we're used to. It's more of a sci-fi/drama film. But the concept of it goes give off a vibe of fantasy in a way. Have you ever seen the movie called Donnie Darko?

There's a director's cut on the way to the DVD, and 20 minutes are being added to it. It will be released on February 15. But you still can get the original edition on DVD.

If not, then I'll let you know that it has something to do with the concept of time travelling, though unique from any time-travelling movies that I've seen I have to say. It was made a few years ago, but it is set in the 80s in a town.

Have you ever seen Big Trouble in Little China? Not a great movie, but give you a lot to snicker at. Almost nothing like I've ever seen. However, I found it to be entertaining.

I imagine a lot of you have seen Twelve Monkeys, which comes from the same director of Brazil. This is one of my favourites, sure... it doesn't have a happy ending. But c'mon, this movie had a very low budget and yet, it look great! I really enjoyed this movie.

For these who like murder mysteries with a touch of fantasy to it. Try the movie, Dead Again. I watched this on the TV one day a couple years ago, and was surprised by how good it was. Robin Williams has a tiny role in this one.

If you want to see something different from any fantasy movies you've seen... try Dreamscape which was released in 1984.

I remember to liking that movie, Starman and Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands which everybody probably had seen.

I know most of the movies I mentioned aren't true fantasy to begin with because the problem is... there's not a lot of fantasy movies. I wish they would make more. Though these movies I mentioned does have a touch of fantasy to all of them.

Starman is quite good movie, I never will forget that movie. Twelve Monkeys, too. It is quite good! Other than these titles, I haven't watch these titles yet. Thanks for recommendations! :thumb: I heard lot about Donnie Darko but never rent or buy to watch.

Twelve Monkeys scared me! A very chilling idea. But it was good though. Lemme see, there's heaps of fantasy/sci-fi movies out there lthat are classics ike Lady Hawke, Flight of the Navigator, Cocoon, Ghostbusters and more. I haven't seen Donnie Darko yet but when the Director's Cut comes out, I plan on seeing this. There are a lot of fantasy movies I want to see, but I don't know what they are.

Back