What is so special about Kappa Gamma and Phi Kappa Zeta?

nat84

Reaction score
Anybody you wonder too many people concerned or talked about the special groups of Kappa Gamma and Phi Kappa Zeta?

What is so special about Kappa Gamma and Phi Kappa Zeta at Gallaudet?

Anybody you wonder too many people concerned or talked about the special groups of Kappa Gamma and Phi Kappa Zeta at Gallaudet?

I had known and friends who members of Kappa Gamma and Phi Kappa Zeta. I don't think any problem if I was around them.

KG and PKZ are so popular and belong to deaf culture on Kendall Green. They were not kind of special groups if I was friend with them. Also, not only, may have friends with other greeks and GDI, too. Most I hang out and conservations with PKZ sisters and once I doubt I was mostly date any KG guys. Ever I was more humble and smart ways where I would be focus on myself and studies at Gallaudet University. Now, people had recongized KG and PKZ are more connection like blue brother and sister. But not true, not of all sisters would have KG guy if they did not think of themselves outside. Some people do not have sweetheart from other member or they prefer to be themselves on own. I know many of you see alumnae who are married and members of greeks. They did not start out when they member of greeks. My opinion is every couples had own personality and see someone who had strong in deaf culture or other reasons. Other, I did not think it is deal thing with KG and PKZ, what about other frats/soros at Gallaudet. They wasn't proud of themselves like me do. They always be normal ways like inside or outisde greek clubs. I like to ask everyone not think about something belong to KG and PKZ, it is usually known as name since over the century. I am proudly of live with PKZ sisters.

Any you have thought why is so special about?

I been to gally many times and really I don't see nothing special about any frat house that guys and gals join in. While I left gally then went to a different college close to home so really they are nothing but trouble. Over the years I have heard so many horrible stories that happens in frat house. Lot of time they get immature. For example: guys at the frat house checking out women hooters for game fun, or drinking booze contest go out of hands or other stupid pranks. Sometimes when the pranks get out of hands someone bound to get hurt or even killed. I don't join the sisterhood since I don't see anything speical about it. My educations was more important then join the frat house.

Anybody you wonder too many people concerned or talked about the special groups of Kappa Gamma and Phi Kappa Zeta?

Don't see anything speical about them because since I been around college and in college, the groups of frats house is always trouble and they do nothing but pranks and sometimes they take it too far.

I don't know what's so special about them. They may think they're unique, but that's what turns them away from the rest of the real world. It's like those who practice "Deaf Pride" and refuse to cooperate with hearing people.

There was a local fraternity like that at RIT. They labeled themselves as "Deaf. Local. Proud." They had a very strong belief in deaf culture and Deaf Pride. Whenever there was a communication problem with hearing people, it was always "It's not fair!" issue with them. There were other deaf fraternities at RIT, but they were actually part of a national or international hearing fraternity. They cooperated well with other Greeks and non-Greeks. They are the ones who are recognized more.

Since Gallaudet is a deaf college, it's easier for KG and PKZ to be well-recognized. However, are they well recognized by the hearing Greeks and non-Greeks? Whenever I hear from deaf students about KG and PKZ, it's always about... "They're like the Skulls! They're awesome party people! They are the best!"

I've even heard rumors that some of the current staff are also members of KG and are biased towards those who are not members. One example would be the baseball coach. When a non-member tried out for the team, the coach was an asshole to that student. He gave that student a hard time, was mean to him, made him work harder, etc. But then again, this is just a rumor. Could it be true? I dunno.

Don't see anything speical about them because since I been around college and in college, the groups of frats house is always trouble and they do nothing but pranks and sometimes they take it too far.
That's not entirely true. That's the typical "Animal House" assumption that's been around since the movie Animal House was made.

Today's Greek society has changed a lot for better or for worse.

Here are a few interesting things about Greeks:
  • 63 percent of the U.S. President's cabinet since 1900 have been Greek.
  • Of the nation's 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by fraternity men.
  • 85% of the Fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity.
  • 40 of 47 U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1910 were fraternity men.
  • 76% of all Congressmen and Senators belong to a fraternity.
  • Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
  • 63% of the U.S. President's Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
  • A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men's scholastic average on their respective campuses.
  • A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
  • Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
  • 1st Female Senator was Greek
  • 1st Female Astronaut was Greek
  • All of the Apollo 11 Astronauts are Greek
  • Over $7 million is raised each year by Greeks nationally
  • 850,000 hours are volunteered by greeks annually
  • The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year
  • 71% of those listed in "Who's Who in America" belong to a fraternity
A few years ago, it was said that RIT Greek members did more charity work and community service than non-Greeks combined. Last time I counted, there were about 25 fraternities and sororities and over 200 non-Greek groups. If 25 fraternities and sororities can do better than 200 non-Greeks, that's impressive.

The things you hear is because of the media. If I was a fraternity brother wearing a red T-shirt standing at a bar near RIT and got in a car accident accidentally killing someone, the headlines would be "Fraternity Brother Kills Student" on the front page. If I was a fraternity brother wearing my fraternity shirt and I saved a woman from a burning building, it would be announced on page 45C with only my name and no affiliation with that fraternity.

Sure, fraternities and sororities like to cause trouble... but so do non-Greeks. Here's a true fact about most colleges... if you're Greek, the whole group gets in trouble... if you're not Greek, only you get in trouble and a slap on the wrist. Yep, it's true... sad. If one fraternity brother got in a fight with someone at a bar, the whole fraternity would get in trouble and likely suspended. If a non-Greek got in a fight with someone at a bar, that student would simply be scolded and put on probation for a few months... a slap on the wrist. Yep, this goes to show how the world appreciates the good things that Greeks are trying to do. :roll:

That's not entirely true. That's the typical "Animal House" assumption that's been around since the movie Animal House was made.

Today's Greek society has changed a lot for better or for worse.

Here are a few interesting things about Greeks:
  • 63 percent of the U.S. President's cabinet since 1900 have been Greek.
  • Of the nation's 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by fraternity men.
  • 85% of the Fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity.
  • 40 of 47 U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1910 were fraternity men.
  • 76% of all Congressmen and Senators belong to a fraternity.
  • Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
  • 63% of the U.S. President's Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
  • A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men's scholastic average on their respective campuses.
  • A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
  • Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
  • 1st Female Senator was Greek
  • 1st Female Astronaut was Greek
  • All of the Apollo 11 Astronauts are Greek
  • Over $7 million is raised each year by Greeks nationally
  • 850,000 hours are volunteered by greeks annually
  • The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year
  • 71% of those listed in "Who's Who in America" belong to a fraternity
A few years ago, it was said that RIT Greek members did more charity work and community service than non-Greeks combined. Last time I counted, there were about 25 fraternities and sororities and over 200 non-Greek groups. If 25 fraternities and sororities can do better than 200 non-Greeks, that's impressive.

The things you hear is because of the media. If I was a fraternity brother wearing a red T-shirt standing at a bar near RIT and got in a car accident accidentally killing someone, the headlines would be "Fraternity Brother Kills Student" on the front page. If I was a fraternity brother wearing my fraternity shirt and I saved a woman from a burning building, it would be announced on page 45C with only my name and no affiliation with that fraternity.

Sure, fraternities and sororities like to cause trouble... but so do non-Greeks. Here's a true fact about most colleges... if you're Greek, the whole group gets in trouble... if you're not Greek, only you get in trouble and a slap on the wrist. Yep, it's true... sad. If one fraternity brother got in a fight with someone at a bar, the whole fraternity would get in trouble and likely suspended. If a non-Greek got in a fight with someone at a bar, that student would simply be scolded and put on probation for a few months... a slap on the wrist. Yep, this goes to show how the world appreciates the good things that Greeks are trying to do. :roll:
I agree

Even non members college students still cause trouble. It is just easy to blame the fraternities or sororities.

As I understand it. They and all the other greek groups are designed to help people get ahead in life. Example :

One person gets a good job somewhere, other person needs a good job. They both know of each other. the word "of" is important cause they might not be friends but they were in same greek group that the one helps the other. That whole greek circle is designed so they can be networked with other people so they can help each other climb job wise and socially.

I was never interested in KG.
I pledged DSP not only because of the cool brothers involved, but it's a national fraternity.
When I went to Univ. of North Texas, then Univ. Texas the chapters there took me in as one of their own.
College isn't supposed to narrow your mind to 1 area, so your fraternity shouldn't.

KG and PKZ are nothing special, they are just strong deaf community, thats all... that greek are perfect for deaf networking such as work at deaf schools or large deaf community like Viable or whatever... To be honest, when I was in Gallaudet and I do wanna join KG but no lucky cuz of credit, now I am work at Gallaudet and I do still wanna join KG, so I have plenty time and I am thinking abt go back school in 2009 of Fall cuz their new curriculm (sp?) is much better and improved than before... I will take serious in school and major in photography same time I can join KG if it meet their requirement cuz they increase requirement when I left Gallaudet in Spring 2005...

Back