What is it like to be DEAF? VLog

I could sure relate the family part , my mother hearing was so good she could hear our neighbors talking in their back yard when she was upstairs in her bedroom . Mom told our neighbors she could hear them taking and they did not believe her and started to repeat what she heard. My whole family had excellent hearing and they could be anywhere in the house and hear someone calling them , I could not and I got hit plenty of time by my dad for NOT coming when he called me. I also got left at home when my family went out to eat as they would call for me from downstairs instead of going upstairs to my bedroom to see if I wanted to eat out too. I never felt like I was apart of my family growing up.

I never got that...the only time I was aware that I was different was when my parents wanted to talk privately when I was in the room. They made me shut off my hearing aids. You can't do that with most children....:D

Laura

I never got that...the only time I was aware that I was different was when my parents wanted to talk privately when I was in the room. They made me shut off my hearing aids. You can't do that with most children....:D

Laura

On the flip side, I used to pull them out, stamp my feet, and then shut my eyes as hard as I could. Drove my ma nuts.

:lol:

That was a really great Vlog! The way he talks about his experiences and chalks it up to their ignorance is very noble/polite of him. Honestly, I think those people (and people like that) are just jerks! It is not that hard to try to accommodate someone that is different than you (or it shouldn't be that hard). Doesn't anyone know the "Golden Rule" any more? "Do unto others..." How hard is it to try to place yourself in someone else's shoes for a few moments and wonder what they might need or how they might feel? Especially when that person is actually TELLING you what they need and how they feel (like he did with the tv incident- he TOLD his mom he needed that tv and why and she still refused)! I just really don't get people sometimes! I am doing my best right now to figure out how to offer my 3 year old (who we just found out is moderately deaf/hoh) the best that I can offer her (just like I do with my hearing seven year old). Some people are just ignorant I guess (or just don't care enough about other people)...

Bottom line, though, this guy is a GREAT spokesperson for respect and equality I think! Very kind and forgiving of those who have made his life harder at times and willing to take those experiences and try to teach others through them.

On the flip side, I used to pull them out, stamp my feet, and then shut my eyes as hard as I could. Drove my ma nuts.

:lol:

:giggle: Nitro, that made me think of my 3 year old. :lol: She doesn't have hearing aids yet but any time she knows she is in trouble or I am trying to get her to do something she doesn't want to, she hides her head/puts her hands over her face or whatever she can do so she won't have to see what I'm trying to say to her :laugh2: ! Yes, it drives me nuts most of the time- but I do have to give her credit for being smart. It didn't take her long to realize "I can't hear, so if I don't look at you, it's like I'm not in trouble (or it's like you're not telling me to do something I don't want to do)"!

I also got left at home when my family went out to eat as they would call for me from downstairs instead of going upstairs to my bedroom to see if I wanted to eat out too.

Oh my god you're making me cry. What did they think? That if they treated you badly enough that you'd just... start to hear?

I was so excited when telephones came out with volume control and I could finally hear people on the phone. I was having work done on my house in California and my mom asked me to put in a safety bar in my shower for her for when she visited. I told my mom OK and that she had to buy a telephone I could use when I visit her in Massachusetts. I kept my part of the deal and put in the safety bar for my mom and I when out to visit my mom went to make a phone call and asked where is the phone for me to use. My mother said she didn't get one! Man did that hurt.

I have heard that story from you before. I am familiar with this. :)

I have mostly kept a sense of humor about a lot of that stuff. In school and as an itinerant construction worker people always remarked on how I always looked happy and smiley. The tricks and eyerolls and lameass jokes and fucking with me would generally stop a little after the initial exposure to me. It takes people who do not know a little while to adjust. I try and help as well and we all use patience.
It is the part where I get left out the information loop or the good jokes loop, or have someone determined to make me out to be dumb. Even then it is better to stay in the solution mode rather than getting pissed off or hurt, both of which I do well at also. That said I am happy to be completely alone now with my computer most of the time so it all had an effect I am sure.
For some reason my computer does not pick up the video.

excellent video, describes exactly what I went through as a kid. Passing it along to educate a few :)

I'm a hearing person that has always been interested in sign language and Deaf Culture. I really appreciate the gentleman's video as it helps me understand better what some Deaf people go through. I remember when Closed Captioning became mandatory for all TVs. I honestly didn't understand why it was a big deal. Now I do. I look forward to part II when it comes out.

The video won't load here on my laptop on this site is there a link I could try and go to it to view?

Wow.. I had no idea how much was able to be learned from CC television alone even. He seems to have a very good attitude despite his family's lack of understanding and support for his needs. I can't imagine how hurtful it must be to have someone talking behind your back literally infront of you by covering their face. It kinda goes both ways though, when I'm signing with friends that are deaf and a friend or family member comes by to talk to me I answer then summarize what was said briefly to the deaf friend, if we were having a long conversation and my little sister would be in the room she had no idea what we were saying and would give us curious looks. So for example I'd tell her briefly that we were talking about my deaf friends date and which resturaunt she wanted to go to next. My sister normally wants to be included too and normally has some input which I relay to my best deaf friend (she's over all the time). My sister's starting to learn a little ASL herself too, she's only 12 however and was never exposed to it as she does not live with me and I've only been learning the past 3 years and she personally knows no deaf people except my best deaf female friend. Everybody needs to be included. Equality is the goal for everyone right? That is a really moving video, it's very unfortunate ANYONE laughed at the clown. Reminds me of watching Jeff Dunnam (spelling?) the ventriloquist comedian on TV once and he said halfway through opening something like "I just noticed all the hand moving down there, who takes a bunch of deaf people to a comedy show? Isn't that kind of like taking a bunch of blinds to a magic show?". He didn't get very many laughs on that. It's very sad his hearing friends made fun of him while he was talking to his deaf friends as well. It's no excuse but perhaps they felt disincluded and confused themselves? I know my sister used to feel that way she was just never rude about it. Once again no excuse though, perhaps they should have introduced themselves to his deaf friends and maybe he would have included them in the conversation.

This is a FANTASTIC video. I've seen it.

[yt]60lzVhXW_0U[/yt]

This is a very good, yet, an educational vlog. I assure you, it is worth watching. It's about 25 minutes long.

I can connect to this in many ways.

It's very powerful, poignant story and well said.

[yt]60lzVhXW_0U[/yt]

This is a very good, yet, an educational vlog. I assure you, it is worth watching. It's about 25 minutes long.

I can connect to this in many ways.

This is absolutely beautiful! I am learning to become an interpreter but I have never asked that question due to disrespect. I am loving the culture and begging to learn more. This really helped me understand just a piece of the daily struggles for most! Thanks for sharing

That was amazing. This is why we shouldn't take things for granted. Live to learn and learn to love.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

This video really touched me and made me want to learn more and more about this culture. It's 25 minutes that EVERYONE should experience.

All hearing parents should see his vlogs he very good

Back