What is Gally & what is SSI?

Ange.

Reaction score
On reading some of these threads I see the words Galludet & SSI but as I'm not from America I don't know what these words mean.Can some-one be kind enough to fill me in? Thanks!
Ange

Gallaudet is deaf university, located in Washington D.C.

SSI is welfare for people to get $$$$ every month, and it was under government funds. It called Supplemental Security Income, or SSI for short word.

It seems as if the controversy there, and lack of a better statement, lack of accepting alumni to other HOH/ CI's, my respect for Gally U as a whole is lost for now.......no I don't know people there and not everybody is this way.......but the hearsay that I get from AD tells me this.

Gallaudet is deaf university, located in Washington D.C.

SSI is welfare for people to get $$$$ every month, and it was under government funds. It called Supplemental Security Income, or SSI for short word.

No you are wrong... SSI under Social Security.. not welfare....

Galludet is supposed to be the best university for the deaf but you have to be pretty deaf to go. I am sure it is just as expensive as Harvard though. :shock:

SSI - is where the state gives you so much money a month due to an illness, injury or disability preventing you from finding work. It depends on where you live and what housing you are in how much you get a month. Some people get 1,000 a month some get as little as 300 a month. You can supplement SSI with part-time work but you are very limited as to how much you are allowed to make or you are kicked out of the program, and even then it is hard to even get in the program when you first apply.

Actually, any kind of monthly check you get from the government is considered welfare.

When my son's father died, he got survivor's benefits from social security every month until he turned 18. The amount he got was based on the amount that his father had paid in all the years he had worked--from the time he was 16--until he died. Since it was money my husband paid in, and it came back out to help support his son after his death, I don't consider it welfare anymore than I consider child support paid to the custodial parent after a divorce to be welfare. I worked the whole time too, but it sure did help with expenses as he was growing up.

When my son's father died, he got survivor's benefits from social security every month until he turned 18. The amount he got was based on the amount that his father had paid in all the years he had worked--from the time he was 16--until he died. Since it was money my husband paid in, and it came back out to help support his son after his death, I don't consider it welfare anymore than I consider child support paid to the custodial parent after a divorce to be welfare. I worked the whole time too, but it sure did help with expenses as he was growing up.

Wait...your son got it til he turned 18? I get survivor's benefits from SS too from my mother's death (she passed away when I was almoat 10), I have been getting it ever since I was 18 (I grew up in foster care).

And you may be right with SS not being welfare, but SSI would be considered welfare...food stamps, etc, too...

Wait...your son got it til he turned 18? I get survivor's benefits from SS too from my mother's death (she passed away when I was almoat 10), I have been getting it ever since I was 18 (I grew up in foster care).

And you may be right with SS not being welfare, but SSI would be considered welfare...food stamps, etc, too...

Yeah, they cut off the survivors benefits when he turned 18, but since he is still in school, he had to reapply for disability benefits based on his father's payment into social security. That is supposed to continue until he is out of school. But he hasn't gotten his first check under the new benefits yet.

Yeah, ur right about food stamps, etc. All part of the welfare program.

Yeah, they cut off the survivors benefits when he turned 18, but since he is still in school, he had to reapply for disability benefits based on his father's payment into social security. That is supposed to continue until he is out of school. But he hasn't gotten his first check under the new benefits yet.

Yeah, ur right about food stamps, etc. All part of the welfare program.

Ah, yeah, okay...I hope your son gets his first check soon!

Back