What is a negative aspect of Cued Speech ???

See, as a teacher, I cant adopt that way of thinking. I was taught to believe that all children can be successful with whatever approach I use and in my experience, I have seen the most success with the BiBi approach which is why I chose to go with that approach. I cant allow myself to think that not all children will be successful cuz that would make me an irresponsible teacher. That was what we were taught in the teaching programs...cant think that some fail cuz with that mindset, some will fail so by thinking that all will be successful, we set higher expectations for the children.

Exactly!!! It is not the children that are unsuccessful, it is the methodology. If the methodology is not showing any significant gains, then it needs to be changed. That is exactly why I support Bi-Bi. Children don't fail the methodology, the methodology fails the child.

There's a reason why most don't use cued speech; cued speech doesn't really address a deaf person's need to communicate with others.

While I think it has it uses, I do not think that it's the answer to the deaf's literacy skills or speech skills. I remember that two of my classmates never gained any speech skills via cued speech and several of them really struggled with English and literacy skills. After years in a deaf school that allowed sign, one of my classmates from the oral program gained literacy skills slowly but surely. I've used it and though I think it helped me some, I also recall it wasn't helpful to my classmates.

Great post!!

deafskeptic - This is simply your bias, you are not the voice for all deaf people.

Nor are you. And Deafskeptic's opinion is certainly more valid as a deaf individual who has been exposed to CS than a hearing individual that is simply promoting the organization of which they are a part.

How literate? Literacy is a spectrum. Most people can read some, few people can read and comprehend 100% of the world's written material.

Not to mention which, there is absolutely no empirical evidence to support that 99% that loml claims. It is a figure pulled out of a hat.

Oh, Jillio... checking my spelling.... that's all you can come up with...
Tsjk tskj

But to get back to the real point.....
Correct me if I'm wrong /why would I ask you that... you would anyway - wouldn't you..)
A case-study contains of qualitative empirical data.... and of course there are those that claim that only quantitative data is scientific of nature.....

Would you subcribe to such a view....???

And a case study is not generalizable. If you were familiar with research, you would already understand that fact. Case studies are used to look at individual phenonmena, and cannot be applied any further than that one case. If you want to support the claims you are making you need to come up with some quantitative data.

How literate? Literacy is a spectrum. Most people can read some, few people can read and comprehend 100% of the world's written material.

fair_jour - Of course literacy is a spectrum. Please explain what point you are trying to make here.

Perhaps the individual(s) you know who cue would be a source of information for you with regard to your question. Of course, that is presuming that these same individulas are fluent cuers.

YOU said that 99% of cuers are literate. I followed up with a question as to HOW literate they are....seems simple

I actually only know one family that uses Cued Speech. They have 2 daughters who are deaf. They starting cueing when the first one was diagnosed. It took almost 3 years for the girls to start cueing back, they also have very little intelligable speech. They are 4 and 6.

Alley Cat....in case you missed this one.........

Would you please share your circumstances surrounding learning ASL first?

:ty:

I did miss that post. I was born deaf, I started learning ASL when I was a little over a year old (when I was first officially diagnosed.) I started working with a speech therapist when I was about 2 years old and had speech therapy until I was about 16. I have no idea of the extent of ASL I learned -- I would have to ask mom -- when I first started learning to speak. I have a pretty good idea that I was not as fluent in ASL yet like I am now, but I was at least proficient enough to be put into preschool with interpreters and teachers who signed.

YOU said that 99% of cuers are literate. I followed up with a question as to HOW literate they are....seems simple

faire_jour- No. What I said was this:
If we were to look at our combined numbers of deaf cuers, the precentage of literate deaf cueing indiviuduals would be 99%.

I shall clarify this for you. :)

I was referring to the number of deaf cuers that shel90 knows combined with the number that I know. OKay?

You say you know a family who cues....perhaps they will permit you to enquire as to how literate their children are.

I actually only know one family that uses Cued Speech. They have 2 daughters who are deaf. They starting cueing when the first one was diagnosed. It took almost 3 years for the girls to start cueing back, they also have very little intelligable speech. They are 4 and 6.

faire_jour - Statements like these always cause me to wonder exactly what/if you are expecting a response. :dunno:

I did miss that post. I was born deaf, I started learning ASL when I was a little over a year old (when I was first officially diagnosed.) I started working with a speech therapist when I was about 2 years old and had speech therapy until I was about 16. I have no idea of the extent of ASL I learned -- I would have to ask mom -- when I first started learning to speak. I have a pretty good idea that I was not as fluent in ASL yet like I am now, but I was at least proficient enough to be put into preschool with interpreters and teachers who signed.

Thank you AlleyCat.

May I ask you some QQs', please?

deafskeptic - This is simply your bias, you are not the voice for all deaf people.

I've never claimed to be the voice for all deaf. If you don't like my answer, deal with it.

I've never claimed to be the voice for all deaf. If you don't like my answer, deal with it.

deafskeptic-
There's a reason why most don't use cued speech; cued speech doesn't really address a deaf person's need to communicate with others.

Your statement can be construded as misleading with your word choices.

While I think it has it uses, I do not think that it's the answer to the deaf's literacy skills or speech skills. I remember that two of my classmates never gained any speech skills via cued speech and several of them really struggled with English and literacy skills. After years in a deaf school that allowed sign, one of my classmates from the oral program gained literacy skills slowly but surely. I've used it and though I think it helped me some, I also recall it wasn't helpful to my classmates.

deafskeptic - You are misguided to presume speech skills are gained via CS.

Individuals struggling with English and literacy skills, is not a fault of the system of CS.

The topic is diluting.... which is fine...

So far, no negative aspects about Cued Speech.... not really

A lot of accusations about what Cued Speech is NOT, but that's not the point.

Requests to back up positive experiences with "data" without displaying any foundation or "data" regarding negative experiences.... but that's the standard reaction of some posters..

As I said... many positive experiences, positive data / articles, but really nothing negative has been produced in this thread....

Excellent.. !! :cool:

The topic is diluting.... which is fine...

So far, no negative aspects about Cued Speech.... not really

A lot of accusations about what Cued Speech is NOT, but that's not the point.

Requests to back up positive experiences with "data" without displaying any foundation or "data" regarding negative experiences.... but that's the standard reaction of some posters..

As I said... many positive experiences, positive data / articles, but really nothing negative has been produced in this thread....

Excellent.. !! :cool:

The negatives are there. Just because you refuse to see them doesn't mean that they fail to exist.

Back